"Capture The Flag" GvG contest in Open World

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

So, seeing that we likely will not have instanced battlegrounds (mini games), I spent some time thinking about how it would be possible to implement some of fun events in to the open world, and still stay in line with Fractured mechanics and philosophy.

One of my suggestions would be something like this:

• basic rule set of "Capture The Flag" mini game but placed in open world
    • GvG event, home bases (where flags initially are) would be GUILD SETTLEMENTS
    • 2 guilds would agree on start time and accept the button (bets could be placed as well, resources from guild treasury)
    • when event starts, each member of the guild would be able to capture and carry a flag of opposing guild (initial flag placement would be opposing guild settlement)
    • only the guilds that have a settlement built could initiate this event (prerequisite requirement)
    • all rules that are normally in CtF instanced event apply here, the only changes are that it's now not instanced, initial flag placements are guild settlements, and ALL guild members are included in the game
    • the goal is to bring enemy flag to own settlement to CAP a point (while your flag is on premises, same like in instanced game)
    • there is no need for forcing equal amount of players as guilds chose if they wish to play or no, they also chose if they will place some bets or just do a friendly game for free
    • game is over after one guild CAPs 3 points
    • ALL rules of open world apply, so if someone else not belonging to competing 2 guilds kills you (interferes) and you lose CtF event because of it, that's on you, all is fair (you need to accept this is open world event now and anything can happen)

There could of course be some tweaking of the rules, but I'm just starting from basic CtF rules, just placed in open world, with guild settlements as starting / ending points.

What do you think about this? 🙂

One special note: this might have to be planet based GvG only (2 guilds belonging to the same planets), due to traveling restrictions?

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Sounds really cool. The only issue I can find is with the ability of players not in the guild CTf being able to kill you. What would happen if a second guild teamed up on you?

As much as I would hate instanced pvp, this sounds like something that could be placed on the Asteroid generated spaces. Something like this I'd enjoy if it were an event for a set duration with specific rewards. When the event is over those rewards are locked until next year's event.

People love event specific rewards and love having their items special for a while.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Mix between Albion Online and capture the flag, and without any number restriction? I dunno man, the main idea is pretty good, but I think we (as a community that we are) have to go further about the mechanics of this game style that you're proposing. I'm pretty interested thou about this, because our guild would play this mode a lot, and I will think hard about what could fit in with Fractured itself and the whole dynamic thing this game generates.

I think there should be a limit of players because then if one guild has 200 players and the other has 50, then there's only one direction in the match: the least populated guild has to be full of pros or they will die like flies.

Maybe it could be set up around 4 and 6 players or maybe they could come up with different modes like:

• 4-6 players GvG: small area without loot, only rewards for the winner like having a Guild Castle/resting place with/without guards (on Arboreus and Syndesia).

• 7-9 players GvG: medium area with loot, same rewards as above (on Syndesia and maybe Tartaros)

• 10-15 players GvG: large area with loot and fame reputation scaling, same rewards as above but should be with wards because in Tartaros are too much PvP (only Tartaros)

All the numbers are an approximation, I'm just proposing some ideas about this freaking cool game style.

Give ideas guys!

@Rehmius perhaps alliances could (optionally) be allowed to join in (and count as same team during matches) to allow for guilds to play on more even terms (number wise). But even that is not needed, imho.

My main thought here is that this is up to guilds to make it fair and live up to their terms (or not).

Fractured will be sandbox, so having arrangement like this, where 2 guilds playing an event for fun, and leaving it up to them to honor the terms and play fair (or not) is very sandboxie way to have it. 🙂

@princecorwin said in "Capture The Flag" GvG contest in Open World:

Sounds really cool. The only issue I can find is with the ability of players not in the guild CTf being able to kill you. What would happen if a second guild teamed up on you?

@gothix said in "Capture The Flag" GvG contest in Open World:

• ALL rules of open world apply, so if someone else not belonging to competing 2 guilds kills you (interferes) and you lose CtF event because of it, that's on you, all is fair (you need to accept this is open world event now and anything can happen)

Sandbox + Open World philosophy 🙂 People need to leave "theme park" mindset behind.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

I guess you’re right. I just wouldn’t trust any pk guild as far as I could throw them.

@princecorwin said in "Capture The Flag" GvG contest in Open World:

I guess you’re right. I just wouldn’t trust any pk guild as far as I could throw them.

It's why sandbox is fun. You never know who to trust. 🙂 Even "good guilds" can end up screwing you over. That's why there are social consequences and people (and guilds) building up reputation (good or bad one).

It's why I prefer sandbox over theme park. Lets players be in charge of game play (as much as possible) rather then being limited by forced game mechanics.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Great idea! Capture the flag is good, but adding guild coordination would be awesomeness.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I would prefer to keep those objective things outside the city conquest/Sieging.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

What about something like albions chest and castle spawns that were supposed to make huge battles between guilds.
    '
    I think something like this could be procedural generated at different coordinates and on different planets and give some kind of home town advantage to one race but still allow other people to contest it. It could have multiple guilds chasing after it and also allow people to benefit from knowing the map and locations.

This would allow for CTF type material while also keeping it consistently fresh for the player base and allow for people with lots of experience to really influence the way the battle goes.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Good idea capture the flag

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

So, seeing that we likely will not have instanced battlegrounds (mini games), I spent some time thinking about how it would be possible to implement some of fun events in to the open world, and still stay in line with Fractured mechanics and philosophy.
    [...]

What do you think about this? 🙂

I think that your suggestion is not on par with the game's philosophy.

@phaethonas said in "Capture The Flag" GvG contest in Open World:

You know, one should really write some arguments why he thinks this way in a discussion. 🙂

Just saying, I think X, without any arguments whatsoever is not very constructive.

You know, one should really write some arguments why he thinks this way in a discussion. 🙂

Just saying, I think X, without any arguments whatsoever is not very constructive.

You are describing instanced gameplay in the open world. Just because you moved it in the open world, doesn't make it any less "instanced gameplay".

For example, there is another proposition that takes open world gameplay and dynamics into account.

What you are describing completely lacks the notion of the open world. You just want that (instanced/CtF) kind of gameplay, you can't have it at an instance, so you just move it, at its entirety, to the open world. Something like that not only is not on par with the philosophy of the game, but also, ultimately, will not work. You have to take the notion of open world and sandbox into account in order to make something that is like a CtF, to work, and to have it be on par with the game's philosophy.

The aforementioned, other proposition, for example, suggests something that can be seen as marrying the CtF gameplay and open world. The OP suggested to have some sort of item that will exert some sort of advantage (e.g. a buff at gathering) for the guild that owns the item. This item will be possible to be moved from one place to another (e.g. from one guild hall to another).

Although, I wouldn't like that variation (for reasons explained at the other post), that variation combines the CtF concept with the open world concept. Your suggestion did not.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Gothix I like to add two variations to it:

1. In stead of capture the flag between two guilds I like to add medieval football (soccer) to it. Football was banned by many kings because it was too violent. The goals where miles apart and a huge number of ppl took part in it. So it fits perfectly in the GvG contest between two guilds. The game has player collision so it seems simple to add a ball to the game and push it around 😁

2. King of the hill. Might be a bit harder to implement in a procedurely generated map. You just fight over who has most control over a hilltop in one hour. The combat in King of the Hill will be very different then to capture the flag, so a nice change of combat, gear and builds setup. Maybe one guild can pick the hill they prefer in the open world and place a special King of the Hill banner on it to create the game.

You are describing instanced gameplay in the open world. Just because you moved it in the open world, doesn't make it any less "instanced gameplay".

I am now quite sure you haven't read my post at all. o.O

If you go and actually read it, you will see guild settlements proposed as flag starting points, and ending points (opposite guilds settlement). You will also see that event starts when guild (their leaders) activate it (similar to activating guild war).

Everything else remains like in CtF, with just a notion that guilds must be aware that it's open world out there, so others might interfere, but it's sandbox, so that's ok.

@Benseine I would certainly love several game types guilds could play in open world. 🙂 There is no need to limit the game number to only one.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Sounds cool man

I am now quite sure you haven't read my post at all. o.O

If you go and actually read it, you will see guild settlements proposed as flag starting points, and ending points (opposite guilds settlement). You will also see that event starts when guild (their leaders) activate it (similar to activating guild war).

Everything else remains like in CtF, with just a notion that guilds must be aware that it's open world out there, so others might interfere, but it's sandbox, so that's ok.

I read it and I explained why it doesn't fit the open world mechanics/concept. What you propose is not intergrated into the open world.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured