Cash Shop Items You'd [Consider] Buy

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@fibs

I just love the packs they offer. getting multiple cosmetic items + hoodie + poster is pretty awesome. and that they credit you when you buy a new pack that contains the hoodie or poster.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Honestly, I think cosmetic armor and spell effects tend to take away from the game many times if done poorly. Often in the name of selling the cosmetics the designers will make the base items look just plain and boring. The problem comes where everyone looks boring except for the people who pay. It just detracts value of your hard work to craft something or kill a big boss if the item looks terrible. I love mount and pet cosmetics as options. Especially when they are utility items you always have out as long as you have the option for free ones. For example pets that pick up items for you are a great touch as long as they are not cash shop only. I actually think that cosmetic spell FX is often a good idea, you can do recolors but sometimes the more complex spell effects are annoying when playing with other players. If you do spell FX you can't go overboard on them or it just gets annoying, you still need to be able to recognize the base spell, I have seen some games do this amazingly well and others do it horribly. I think PoE is one of the ones that does a good job because while the spell effects are unique and change the spell, the base is still easily recognizable.

• Wiki Editor

In general, I like the PoE cosmetics (and have many), the ones I really don't like are the huge light rings around the players (called auras maybe?). The more subtle ones are ok.

I was going to show the PoE cosmetics but no matter what service I try I can't get the image to show up here (tried my Google Drive, Photos, several 3rd party image upload services).

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@kellewic said in Cash Shop Items You'd [Consider] Buy:

I was going to show the PoE cosmetics but no matter what service I try I can't get the image to show up here (tried my Google Drive, Photos, several 3rd party image upload services).

take a screen, save the image. then come to the forum and upload the image. It's the last icon after the emoji.

• Wiki Editor

@finland said in Cash Shop Items You'd [Consider] Buy:

@kellewic said in Cash Shop Items You'd [Consider] Buy:

take a screen, save the image. then come to the forum and upload the image. It's the last icon after the emoji.

Ah, didn't even see it there. Last character I played in PoE Abyss league showing the more subtle cosmetics I mentioned.

0_1525870005071_poe_cosmetics.jpg

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Cosmetic stuff and cool looking mounts. No pay to win items.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

Everything but cosmetics are fine. Cosmetics are what make a character look seasoned and played. If you just buy looks, there is no reason to play the game anymore. What could you possibly get that would look cooler than some crazy 20$ cash shop item. Why even bother. Also the big draw back here is they will restrict items or make the coolest items bought and not add content to the game where it needs to be.

• Wiki Editor

@mrchipps said in Cash Shop Items You'd [Consider] Buy:

Everything but cosmetics are fine. Cosmetics are what make a character look seasoned and played. If you just buy looks, there is no reason to play the game anymore. What could you possibly get that would look cooler than some crazy 20$ cash shop item. Why even bother. Also the big draw back here is they will restrict items or make the coolest items bought and not add content to the game where it needs to be.

What else would there be but cosmetics that would not be considered p2w?

Also, if they're not having a subscription-based game then the money needs to come from somewhere. This is typically done via some kind of packs or shop, much of which are cosmetics.

What looks "cooler" is very subjective as well. PoE has a bunch of cosmetics and I find most of them ugly as hell but I see all sorts of people running around with them.

@kellewic I just want a world that feels organic and not all modified by outside sources. I don't really know what they could come up with in terms of cash shop items, but in that case I would rather pay the fee. It just detracts from the world when you can buy the things that you may have obtained from playing the game.

Anything that could be released in the cash shop should be something to be obtained by playing and dedicating time to development of your character and development of yourself as a gamer. I just absolutely despise this method. Every item that could be in a cash shop could be loot in one way or another for expansion and depth of your game in the long run.

I've seen this many times where I feel like going out and getting that new something is just dumb cause I could just drop a 20$ and that's it. I don't understand that mentality because a game is to be played. I'm just on the very far extreme of not dropping cash for anything other than game purchases or sub fees.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@mrchipps

cosmetic items don't define a character. they may define the looks but not the abilities. Destiny 2 had the problem that every better looking cosmetic was behind the cash shop (eververse). I pointed it out a few time on reddit that there was no point in playing the game when you could just buy all the items you wanted. With the last DLC they put rewards behind playable content as well as alternatives in the cash shop.

You mention sub fee's but only 1 game in the last 5 years has remained a sub based game and that was FFXIV. all the rest had to switch to f2p or a hybrid.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@mrchipps cash shop things will be exclusive of the cash shop and will not be pay to win.

@finland I never meant this is a p2w or exclusivity. I just mean, if you develop 10 things for the cash shop, you could use those models / cosmetics as models and/or designs for things you would find freely in the game. I know it's not the end of the world, but my favorite memories are seeing someone in some cool armor and going "ahhh I want to aspire to have that too" but now it's just oh.... 10$ for that and the game is over. I should want to PLAY to obtain things, and when I see things I should then be queued to want to go out and look for them or band together and go get them, not just fork over cash and all done.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@mrchipps dude we have not a subscription they have to make money somehow. If you offer the same thing as the cosmetic cash shop freely in the game the people will try to get them feely. It's the right choice to have cosmetic exclusive things buyable. If people cares about skins and does not have money well that's just their own problem. So here we go:

Do you prefer to pay monthly a game aka 15 UDS/month or do you prefer buy when you want some skins?

@finland I understand they need to make money. I would definitely choose the sub fee over cash shop any day.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@mrchipps okie nice answer I also prefer the sub but those who does not care about cosmetic will be allow to play without a sub. This way gettin more people to the game.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Personally I'd rather there be no cash shop except maybe for things like having a second character on an account and justhave a subscription every month of $10 or so. I want to have the most awesome looking weapons and armor because I spent time earning them, not because I spent a few dollars on an item in the shop.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@ember2528 So you prefer a sub too?

@ember2528 I would absolutely pay for this. There just needs in my opinion to be another way to capitalize on a cash shop. I am occupied but I would love to keep visiting this idea.

I would gladly pay 10$ a month for a game that is interesting. games like wow got the 15$ sub to work for them because the game was fun and the longevity of the game was undeniable. If they game is actually good it will continue to hold value and people will play it.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Maybe a new mount or something. Nothing else. It takes away from the game.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Above all else, these items CANNOT give an advantage over other players. With that being said, cosmetics is an easy go-to. Though you peaked my interest. I'd normally consider armors and what not, maybe mounts (that have similar move speed/abilities as to keep it fair). But different spell/ability visuals is totally something to look into. Imagine a default flame spell looking like...well a flame spell. But if you spend, let's say, $5 on the "Pyromancer Spell Package" that traditional fireblast turns into a blue (super hot) explosion!

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured