Stance on RNG Loot Boxes

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I've noticed the Foundation rewards list at least 3 RNG lootboxes (110, 120, 150). Just wondering if these will be permanent in the cash shop or just foundation rewards.

With the whole controversy around Loot Boxes these days. I'd say it's better to steer away from them.
    Already see Robocraft removing Loot Boxes from their game and perhaps others are in the process of doing so too.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Dunno, it's really a nice question. I suppose that they could sell the loot box in the shop but at the same time I dislike the RNG like Overwatch lootbox. I would prefer something like:

• the lotbox type A can have 50 items
    • you will get one item each time you open a lootbox
    • every time you get something that item should be removed from the lootbox rng this way you need only 50 try to get all from that kind.

I'm definitely gonna steer away if P2W RNG lootboxes end up in game.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@gothix the game is not going to be pay to win. You can not buy powerfull items.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

Eh, honestly not too worried when it comes to this game and the plans they have for this game. I don't really see loot boxes being a problem aside from some consumables and quality of life stuff/cosmetics.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

no rgn i hate

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

The controversy over lootboxes stems primarily from their use in pay2win games. That is, the contents of lootboxes affect gameplay.

All premium items in Fractured are cosmetic, so lootbox controversy doesn't apply. Do whatever you want, I don't care lol

@fibs

problem is, why would a developer put items up for sale for a static price when they can get people hooked on gambling addiction. it's already been proven that people spend more on RNG boxes than not.

give most people a chance at a 'high value item' and they'll take it over a static priced item.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Loot boxs are so predatory. Especially in a game aimed for players under the legal gambling age.

@xanowrath

i dont like them in games aimed at adults. it's ironic but i dont mind Overwatch. I guess it's because the boxes are earned at each level and they're pretty easy to get.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@jetah said in Stance on RNG Loot Boxes:

@fibs

problem is, why would a developer put items up for sale for a static price when they can get people hooked on gambling addiction. it's already been proven that people spend more on RNG boxes than not.

give most people a chance at a 'high value item' and they'll take it over a static priced item.

..? You worded that oddly. You said "problem is" but then didn't give a problem, at least not a problem with my post.

Approximately 10% of a given game's player base spends a significant amount of money on lootboxes. These 10% alone spend enough to commercially justify most games (and mass-advertising lootboxes that 90% of players dismiss out of hand).

We're quite fortunate when the lootboxes are cosmetic, or when the lootbox contents are player-tradeable, or when the lootboxes can be grinded for, considering what a huge incentive they give to executives who treat video games only as a business investment.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

People argue about everything. RNG lootboxe are fine by me if there are no p2w items.

@fibs

problem is developers will place rng boxes in because it generates more income rather than placing an item with a price tag.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@jetah said in Stance on RNG Loot Boxes:

@fibs

problem is developers will place rng boxes in because it generates more income rather than placing an item with a price tag.

Again, this is not a problem, especially when the items are cosmetic.

You're also incorrect; for instance, Elder Scrolls Online has both seasonal lootboxes and direct item purchase.

You can dissolve unwanted lootbox results into lootbox points to directly purchase a specific lootbox item. (Duplicate items automatically dissolve.)

I think that as long as you will NOT BE able to sell cosmetics (purchased for real money) for in game currency, it will be fine.

If you are able to spend real cash to purchase cosmetics, and then exchange those cosmetics for in game currency, followed by buying best gear from crafters in game. This would create an enormous P2W advantage.

Some people try to claim it's just a "shortcut" to a gear you can obtain just by playing and thus not P2W, but their logic is flawed / they are trying to promote this lie for their own benefit.

Lets say one player spends thousands of (eur / dollars / whatever) RL currency, and exchanges it (over reselling cosmetics) to high amount of in game currency and gears up completely very fast.

Another player starts collecting the gear slowly just by doing in game content.

Let's say now that this second player needs a whole year to gear up to max gear. This means that the first player that used cash, had a WHOLE YEAR OF FREE WINNING in PvP against second player (due to gear difference) just because he used cash.

So that equals to 1 year of P2W purchased with RL cash. Now, one would think, ok but now they are equal? Well, wrong again.

Game eventually gets new content, new levels, new higher level gear pieces. First player repeats what he did, and now he has ANOTHER YEAR OF FREE WINNING in PvP against second player.

So whoever claims that reselling cosmetics for in game currency is not P2W is either:

1. extremely naive
    2. is trying to sell obvious lies, due to his own desire to change his own cash into P2W for himself, it this becomes available

In most cases it's number 2.

So whoever you see claims, this is not P2W, those are the guys that want to use P2W, cause in most cases they can't handle the challenge, and seek to play over geared compared to others, as long as they can. ๐Ÿ™‚

@gothix said in Stance on RNG Loot Boxes:

If you are able to spend real cash to purchase cosmetics, and then exchange those cosmetics for in game currency, followed by buying best gear from crafters in game. This would create an enormous P2W advantage.

not really what this topic is about. We have a nice long P2W thread which you can use.

I'm wanting to know if DS will have more RNG boxes or if it's just contained in the Foundation. I have no problems with your opinion on RNG boxes but P2W stuff isn't what I want to chat about.

@Jetah yeah I might have missed the thread. I think the reason is when I hear "loot boxes" I automatically think "P2W". Got burned a lot in past MMOs. ๐Ÿ™‚

I played Tera and 90% of the cosmetics are from RNG boxes. There are a few versions of the cosmetics out of the box but the stats are worse or the color is different. Stats aside, I hate knowing the only way to get an item is via RNG box. Only thing helping Tera is RNG cosmetics can be sold on the market, so this somewhat helps those that wont gamble to get what they want.

I'd much prefer a red, yellow, green, gold, silver or bronze robe in the shop for 3$ than Robe RNG box for 50ยข ea. Only because the odds of getting the robe I want is slim and the developers never mention it's a 1% chance to get it.

@gothix

it's fine, just we had a huge thread that was pulled from another thread.

I'm more curious on DS stand point and players stand point.

Copyright ยฉ 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured