Ingots, Leather and Theft

• Content Creator

@Farlander it's not just time adds value, as others have indicated (although in a game like this, that is definitely true) but also the fact that the game itself needs some time sinks to stretch out the experience. This game is not about instant gratification. They also don't want so many menial steps involved that people quit the crafting part of it for the fact it can get so boring.

Players want to go out and do stuff while a time sink is going on. Sure, that going out has risk, and what they can do can be limited by available avenues. But the players feel like they have accomplished even more by multi-tasking. They are processing an Ingot at the Smelter, Tanning a Hide at the Tub, and they are going out while that happens and getting more raw materials for the process so they can do it all over again.

The Devs want a player driven economy, BUT they don't want the players to be flooding the market every time they bring home a wagon-load of raw materials. They also want a few different reasons for making multiple refining stations. With near instant gratification like you indicated, there isn't much incentive to have more than 1 or 2 such stations in a town, other than possible prestige points. Now, as it is, a thriving town trying to be the next Detroit of Fantasy needs to have a score of smelters, and at least a half dozen Advanced smelters, and several citizens kept busy keeping the supply of ore and fuel up so that they can be going all the time, in hopes of producing maybe 4 suits of plate and a set of weapons in a day. That's actually pretty good, considering realism-wise, a suit of plate armor would be at the blacksmith's for a couple weeks at least, and possibly more like a month or more to get finished. That is with the help of a couple burly apprentices shoveling coal, someone working the bellows, and the Master smith pounding and folding and shaping the metal pieces, then quenching them to get ready to assemble them into the fitted pieces of armor. 16 hrs is nothing when you think on it that way. 16 hrs is just a reasonable time sink to make sure you can't do everything in the first few hours of the game, then be left with nothing but hunting/gathering to do.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Logain You know not what you talk about. My idea only helps stop theft from ever occurring at the crafting stations; I never said anything of making crafting times shorter (which I do believe should happen) nor did I suggest more than one item can be crafted at a time (which would be a nice idea).

I seriously doubt players would not build their tubs/smelters/forges on their plots even if my suggestion was made real due to the fact they would have their own stations to use just about WHENEVER they want, unless they are sharing the use of them. Where as currently, if they go to only using the city's stations, they have to wait till no one else is using it.

@TekNicTerror said in Ingots, Leather and Theft:

@Logain You know not what you talk about(...)

I'm simply going to ignore the snarky remarks.

(...)I never said anything of making crafting times shorter (which I do believe should happen) nor did I suggest more than one item can be crafted at a time (which would be a nice idea)(...)

I addressed neither in my response. That's been others in this thread.

(...)I seriously doubt players would not build their tubs/smelters/forges on their plots even if my suggestion was made real due to the fact they would have their own stations to use just about WHENEVER they want, unless they are sharing the use of them(...)

There are two possible scenarios here.
    First, you want the stations to share a common timer, meaning only one person can use them at a time.
    Second, you want individual timers, meaning everybody can use every station at the same time.

Your suggestion didn't specify this, but implicated the second solution, since you were trying to avoid people taking the crafting station 'hostage', as you called it. A person could still keep smelting over and over again and prevent use for others under the first solution.
    But, if this is implemented with individual timers, there's no need for individual crafting stations, since people can always simply use the one of the city.

Hence my argument.

Sorry I disagree with all of you about the time sinks. If you enjoy it more power to you. I don't enjoy games with timers ie every clickbait game in existence. The value in the created item is the gathering of the resource and the use it gives. If a game has to have time sinks to bring players back then the game is crap. The game should have fun stuff to do to bring players back to it; not work.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Farlander You don't have to logout, to be brought back, you can put your materials to process for the hours needed, and go do other things in the game, so you know in X hours you can go back to your house/city and take the ready materials.

It's okay you disagree, you might not understand the core system mechanic and how it affects economy and value of things.
    The majority of the players here, do not want it to change, because we played enough games like this, and know how important those things to a functioning player driven economy.
    If an armor is easy to make, and everybody can make tons of sets, it removes any value from it, its just that simple.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Log the usage and add a bounty mechanic. Let the thieves get PK'd without penalizing the person that PK's them.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured