Quest system

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

How is the quest system in the game? As per what I've been searching that's the only thing I could not find much info on.
    I come from a background of Tibia, Runescape, and recently Albion online. Albion made a very good job on the influence it got from those 2 and I'm seeing you guys having a much greater potential on your current decisions so far (for e.g. being open-world in comparisson to Albion). Another thing that Albion lacks, is a good quest system, and here is where I think you guys could shine in my humble opinion. With an intriguing quest system like in Tibia or Runescape, where you are not actually forced to do quests, but only those which are from your interest (be it for access a location, item, unlock some power, etc), and that the game show you only tips through the npc talks without point where to go, would be massive.

• Content Creator

I don't know that they plan any real quest system.

The only 'quests' we've seen so far are the beginner quests basically meant to get people fast tracked through how the basics work, followed by a quick explore quest with 3 locations on the map to go to. No rewards or anything for them, so merely guides.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Quests would be tricky in Fractured, since there's nothing you could offer as rewards.
    There's no experience to gain and no items to loot. Knowledge is accumulated from exploring and encountering specific creatures, abilities are unlocked through encounters with creatures and all 'loot' is materials for crafting (or gold). And running errands for gold is something you can basically do in every fluctuating town.

@Dilpickls Even at the beginning, they said that the game as such will not have a quest system, just free adventures on 3 planets

While there is no plan in place to have any kind of quest system, the tutorial @GamerSeuss referenced is at this point rudimentary (going for a diplomatic description 🙄 )

I am hopeful that the tutorial will be developed prior to beta launch, so new players won't be forced into the ugly and unmoderated global chat to learn basic game mechanics and experienced players won't be obligated to babysit all the newbies asking VFAQs.

That said, a robust tutorial would probably be the closest this game will come to a quest system, acc to the plans shared by devs so far.

• Content Creator

@PeachMcD Indeed, they can definitely use more tutorial quests...but the good thing about tutorial quests is they provide their own reward, ie: knowledge of how to progress in the game.

Needed tutorials include:
    Catching Horses
    Buying/Claiming land parcels
    Changing Material Grades in crafting
    Enchanting
    Respec'ing Stats
    Use of the Talent Grid
    Forming Parties and Guilds

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Certainly you could integrate Quest and I think that's necessary before people get bored too quickly. For example, you could start a quest for every world boss, and everyone who completes it gets a first lost tale.

Without quests, many people get bored. In my opinion there are too many who avoid contact in RL and in the game and like to play for themselves.

And that's just one important point ...

Without a quest there has to be a lot going on in the world, otherwise ... dead pants.

• Content Creator

@Selfish trouble here is the whole 'in your opinion' paraphrase.

The Devs specifically are building Fractured to cater to those players who like group play, and also don't want to be compelled into group play. To many people, gaming is a type of disconnect therapy. They want to forget about other people for a bit and go off and do their own thing, but choose MMOs for the massive, dynamic worlds that allow for the occasional desire to group with friends. They don't want it to be mandatory, but they want it as an option on a whim, or even the option to join a group of anonymous strangers for an hour or two without having to switch characters/games.

Lost tales are already tied into the Legends, and there is only going to be a finite amount of KP in the game available, which means there is probably no plan to add in new Lost Tales for Quest purposes, or adding additional ways to acquire the lost tales.

Yes, there is some content that is going to be easier with a group, and the whole end-game thing is still to be revealed, but I find it refreshing to find a game that's not totally quest-driven, and instead does away with them for the most part. (the Quest-driven nature of WoW is what turned me off that game, and it's how they ruined EverQuest in my opinion, which is why I'm thankful for the progressive servers) but again, even I use the 'in my opinion' thing, it's all opinions, the Devs have just already expressed their opinion that Fractured doesn't need quests.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

I agree with @GamerSeuss on this topic and it is clear that the devs want their playerbase to experience to be free overly quest driven gameplay that leads into never-ending vertical progression. Games like Albion do not have questing and appeal to a very specific player base that enjoys open world combat and content. Albion also has plenty of spaces for both group content and solo content, all of which are non-instanced. I believe this game will do an even better job at allowing players to develop their content without being spoon fed said content. Furthermore, with how dynamic each world is set up and the interactions between said worlds, players will also be creating content for each other through interaction.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@LordGorgeous that's exactly my point, quest don't follow vertical progression only, runescape and Tibia are a perfect example of that, you are not forced to do any quests if you don't want to, only the ones are from your interest for some specific reason.
    I'm I highly PvP focused player and played Albion for 2 year doing all possible contents (solo to big guilds ZvZ), and it gets very repetitive in the end.

• Content Creator

@Dilpickls I gotta refute you there. In Old School RuneScape, RuneScape Classic, and RuneScape 3, a lot of content is locked behind quests. I play OSRS mostly, and entire continental content is only accessable after specific quest chains are completed. Certain weapons are only usable after specific quests are done, and certain spells, including some simple teleports, are only unlocked via specific quests.

RuneScape is very quest dependent as far as games go. I like the fact there is a lot of content you can play without focusing on quests, but there is a gread deal that requires quests to advance at all.

@Selfish said in Quest system:

Without a quest there has to be a lot going on in the world, otherwise ... dead pants.

Taking this as a given, I can assure anyone who is into the idea of this sandbox game that there are cities to build, keep up, and defend; fields of crops to plant, tend, harvest, bag and sell or bring in for city upkeep; smithies that require ore for smelting to craft tools and gear; over one hundred different materials one might gather to use to enchant said gear; & ambient mobs on the roads and in all the hills to deal with getting from one place to another to gather said materials.

Definitely not dead pants.

I like the structure quests give as it can get a bit repetitive without them.

@PeachMcD said in Quest system:

(...)there are cities to build, keep up, and defend; fields of crops to plant, tend, harvest, bag and sell or bring in for city upkeep(...)

The problem with that is, people want to reap the benefits, but not share the effort. With quests, they get a tangible reward, with helping to build and keep a city, they get nothing they couldn't simply leech otherwise as well.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@Logain A few things can be mentioned regarding your post. The first thing is a possibility in regards to the rewards the devs add for defending and maintaining territories. These rewards could be passives, actual physical items, buffs, or even the necessity of the territory as a whole would incentivize enough people to want to defend it and maintain it. Secondly, if a group of players attack a territory and a rival group of players defend said territory; realistically, there should be smaller parties looking to reap the benefits. It is just the way open world pvp works, as for example in any survival game and even in a game as simple as Sea of Thieves. Open world pvp makes room for rats to behave like rats and I personally do not see anything wrong with that.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@LordGorgeous Exactly, other nice example of that is another survival Atlas, with quests such as treasure hunts, or some others which would give some kind of buff, etc. All these can have pk gankers camping there, but that's part of the fun, trying to organize how you and your group could overcome the situation.

• Content Creator

@PeachMcD Let's not forget Asteroid events that come and go throughout. I think, in a lot of ways, that's going to be key to the end game content. Asteroids is where they can break their own rules if they decide to do so without affecting the main 3 planets.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured