Progression / Learning system discussion

• I know this will be probably an unpopular opinion but after playing the spring alpha i felt that the knowledge system actually went up to fast. I remember games like Battlefield 2 when it took literally months before you reached the next rank and it meant something. So i'd recommend probably quadrupling the progression time. It would also encourage people to probably pay for VIP if that would speed up progression. Just my 2 cents. You shouldn't be able to get 3 skills out of a mob camp in 2 days or less. People wont have a reason to continue to scour the map.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

They will when they need the enchanting reagents.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

The game is not meant to be character progression grind heavy.
    It is resource/equipment grind while players interact with the politics between player built cities.
    To get to 60 talent points you still need to have killed every mob to 100% research and fought numerous world bosses.
    There is plenty of progression options, they are just not -necessary- to have a good game play experience and have a workable set of abilities and equipment.

• Content Creator

Also remember that Talent Point progression is accelerated during an Alpha test because you simply don't have as much time to do it as you will after release. I expect the Talent Tree and Skills to fill up a good deal slower once the game reaches its final form already, I'm sure the Devs are aware of this.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

When they mentioned that the game would not be grind heavy. This makes it clear that it will be casual friendly also. πŸ™‚ IMO the only way of grinding will be talent points (horizontal progression).

@Tajger said in Progression / Learning system discussion:

When they mentioned that the game would not be grind heavy. This makes it clear that it will be casual friendly also. πŸ™‚ IMO the only way of grinding will be talent points (horizontal progression).

Filling up all bestiary mobs will be some sort od grind, however this system is quite interesting. Especially if you compare this to what other games arΔ™ providing at the moment.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

A big selling point to me is that I can bring in a new player, give them gear, and despite a large gap in talent points and skill selection they can still have fun with whatever content we care to do and be valuable team mates.
    No feeling like needing to grind to be useful or qualified, just the option to grind for more options and personalization.

@BitterLoD said in Progression / Learning system discussion:

I know this will be probably an unpopular opinion but (...) People wont have a reason to continue to scour the map.

This has me curious!
    How many talent points did you own by the end of the test?
    Have you participated on building up and maintaining a village?
    Have you been in a siege?
    Did you have several sets of fully enchanted equipment (so that you can afford loosing them in sieges/PvP)?
    How long did you play?

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Personally I'm not a fan of grinding (killing mobs over and over for months on end) so this was a nice change of scenery. Many I know enjoy grinding in that sense so totally understandable. To each his own.

• Content Creator

One of the points of this game is to not be too grindy.

This is why each monster has a finite cap on Knowledge Points, once you reach 100%, the only reason to kill one is for its unique reagents/materials if any, or to survive to get through their zones.

There is also a cap on Talents, at 60 points right now, however, there is nothing saying they cannot later add more talents in a specialized tree available to those who reached the initial 60 cap. Expanding the game at late game can add monster mobs, like on the asteroids, new reagents to combine to make new types of enchantments. There is so much they can do in the end game that doesn't have to involve grinding the same old mobs or going to PvP.

Add to that you have City management and infrastructure, all kinds of crafting they can add and refine, the game can grow horizontally for quite a bit without having to become redundant and boring. Add new things to do, new achievements to accomplish, and see where it goes from there.

@GamerSeuss said in Progression / Learning system discussion:

i think the problem is how they worded the "no grinding" when in fact there will be a need to grind. i'd say it was meant as a "dont need to grind to increase your characters level" but to unlock spells/abilities, you need to repeatedly kill the same mob type. if you need leather for armor, you have to repeatedly kill mobs that can be skinned for leather, etc.

now if there were treasure maps then the ability/skill/knowledge system could be setup differently so that completing the map could reward the player. but then you're grinding maps.

@BitterLoD said in Progression / Learning system discussion:

I know this will be probably an unpopular opinion but ....

I want to say thanks, BitterLoD, for posting what you knew wouldn't be a popular opinion. Your opinion matters, whether or not it's generally shared. God knows being popular and being right are not the same thing. πŸ™„

I wonder whether any of the replies to your post caused you to feel any differently?

There's SO MUCH going on in the Fractured world already and we don't even have the other planets & toonspecies yet! My personal experience is that my little toons find lots to do without even leaving town 🀣

I get the crops watered, harvested, and bagged.... do some crafting/enchanting to upgrade my gear... look around for folks to go adventuring with.... travel to the place where the supplies or mobs we need are... hours go by way too quickly.

As far as skills & talent points go, my experience is that the starter skills for my fighter toon work as well as most of the skills I'd kill mobs for, tbh. The fighter toons need good equipment more than extra skills. Talent points for STR and CON buffs are where I focus, but again, I haven't needed to max anything to be viable so far. There's no squishiness to be overcome, as in most rpg for new PCs, so grinding xp to level isn't a thing.

It may be that grinding xp to level is your jam. Nothing wrong w that, but if so Fractured might not be your game. I really hope you'll play the next few alphas to see whether developments head in a good direction for you. πŸ––

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured