Fog of War

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I'm curious if Fractured would have a fog of war system in place.

thought about it a little further. In RTS there are towers that extend los and dissipate the fog. These could be player built structures. a basic form could be a crows nest (similar to ships) but placed on a tree. an advanced version could be a lookout tower or even a light house.

this would give the local population an advance notice if hostiles are near and could help prevent an instant attack.

the fog could also be used to hide.

professional gear could have +light (or other los attribute) that increases the LOS to see further.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

The game is exploration-based, and I believe it was confirmed that every player will have a personal map that starts out blank and fills in as they explore. I don't know if that refers to the normal game graphics surrounding your character, or merely to an additional minimap you can consult for long travels.

@fibs

that sounds like the map not the view area around the character. i was thinking more in terms to RTS that have fog of war. you can see clearly within your los but outside you can't.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah said in Fog of War:

@fibs

that sounds like the map not the view area around the character. i was thinking more in terms to RTS that have fog of war. you can see clearly within your los but outside you can't.

I do not believe so. If this game is an isometric MMORPG, I highly doubt there will be a fog of war because it would probably tick off at least 25% of the people playing it. Needless for a MMORPG as it simply complicates the game for all the wrong reasons. Enhances stuff like assassin classes (I know there are no classes, but lets just say someone who built their character for an assassination archetype. This doesn't exist in a RTS game mode in the sense that if you die it means you lose the whole match, not a single character) Hence, fog of wars add strategy and depth to RTS, but only adds annoyance and unfairness to a RPG.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Fog of war would be a really bad idea for a game like this in my opinion. Not a whole lot of reason to even implement it either.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I think the blank map concept is enough for the game

@chrightt, @Dagimir

Fog could make gear with +light highly sought after because it would extend the los.

but i also see it not having it. it was a weird thing i thought of while reading another post.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I say no. Would be an advantage for ambusher/gankers. That's what I think. (Don't summon me to argue about my answer)

@finland

couldn't also hide gatherers? couldn't hit also hide those wanting to ambush the ambushers.

limited line of sight works for everyone.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah The MOBA teach that the fog of war is used for ganking. The advantages for the gank are greater than for the escape. I said no summon! So accept my answer!

@finland

it's a discussion so i'm wanting to understand your point better.

fog can be used to hide also. while gathering, skinning, farming. if the los was based on a light power stat then those previous mentioned professions could have much higher light so see further. maybe certain towers or structures could be used to aid the home planet locals. A light tower or basic crows nest could be used to aid those in the area. giving an early warning to be ready to fight or flee.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah you have no chance once ganked! The only way is the map awareness and flee as soon as you see ppl inc. That's all. I don't want it. In moba you gank while the fow is active. That's why you buy wards in dota2 to get visions and avoi ganks.. for example (but it's not the seame as total vision). Add a poll in the main thread like "Do you want FoW? 1.Yes - 2.No - 3.I don't care"

@finland said in Fog of War:

@jetah you have no chance once ganked! The only way is the map awareness and flee as soon as you see ppl inc. That's all. I don't want it. In moba you gank while the fow is active. That's why you buy wards in dota2 to get visions and avoi ganks.. for example (but it's not the seame as total vision). Add a poll in the main thread like "Do you want FoW? 1.Yes - 2.No - 3.I don't care"

i don't like polls though, i like discussion.

so you're saying if some towers were built that moved the fow for the locals that it would be easy to be ganked, even if you could see clearly 2-3 screens away but the your attacker couldn't see beyond half their screen.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah said in Fog of War:

so you're saying if some towers were built that moved the fow for the locals that it would be easy to be ganked, even if you could see clearly 2-3 screens away but the your attacker couldn't see beyond half their screen

Casuals newbies has no map awareness ;). Don't make it harder.

@finland

with towers that increase the los for locals, it's easier, not harder. the tower wouldn't help invaders, actually it could be setup to thicken the fog for invaders so they would need more +light to see further.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah that's your opinion and I have mine. Fog it is just a way to make it harder. Most common MMO don't have it for good reasons.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Would this even matter? Unless we can freely move the camera across the zone, I don't think a fog of war system would even make sense. This is not an RTS, so I assume our camera is always locked onto our characters.

@Finland

most common MMOs aren't isometric!

@vengu

i also posted about a rotating camera. i'm not sure how the camera is setup at the moment.

sure it won't matter but it could be used strategically for both defense and offense. I'd say that most of the benefit is for the defenders.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah rotate camera stay locked and you will not able to move the camera around the map. About isometric that does not make difference. It's a mmorpg not a moba

@finland

do we know that the camera is locked to the character?

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured