Travel Time Mitigates Log-in Desirability

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

^topic.

The travel time for mounts really doesn't do it for me. The fact that mounts are in the build is great, but the amount of time it takes to get anywhere really stunts the game play when looking at from a "what if it launched this way" thought process. If you only have 30-90 minutes to play, you may not even log in because it may take to 30-45 mins just to get where you want to be. Want to trade a few items before going to work? Think again, the cart moves slower than your grandmother drives and the trade will literally be the ONLY thing you do...

I get the realistic concept, the old school vibe and yes I spent a near lifetime in UO. At this point, players just need to move a little faster than where Fractured is at right now. My spouse played UO, WoW, and tons of other MMOs/games with me over the decades and this one just moves too slow for them. There is no purpose, in my opinion, that the carts and horses move as slow as they do. I took my cart ~30% the length of the map (i think), on paved roads and it took me 40 minutes! to trade 30 coal for 30 iron. It took me another 40 minutes to haul it back to my home city. That is 1 hour and 20 minutes of listening to music and playing "horse riding simulator," I wasn't really playing fractured because all I was doing was staring at horse-rear. This will not go over well with most gamers and the beauty of the game will not be experience by most.

My two-cents plus a tip. 🙂

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@BlueGoblin said in Travel Time Mitigates Log-in Desirability:

t if it launched this way" thought process. If you only have 30-90 minutes to play, you may not even log in because it may take to 30-45 min

Aye.. the horses I think move way too slow. they should be twice the speed that they currently are. Plus the lack of any type of auto-movement really sucks as you literally have to sit there burning your finger muscles for hours to get anywhere still.

• Content Creator

A little faster would be good, and I say this only because when traveling with my GF, me on horseback, her running, she was almost outrunning my horse.

As to watching a horse's backside for 40 mins, remember, even on paved roads you can be attacked, and once the game goes live, such attacks will probably increase, so it will still be exciting. I'd bump up the horse's speed maybe 20%, but that's about it, and as far as Wagons/Carts go, I think that speed is just about right.

• I would like to see an auto travel option on the main roads. Something along the lines of a signpost that you click on and it gives you the choice of close towns that you have already discovered and will auto run you there.

While I do think this is dangerous ground and I dont want to see this game go down the auto-play, mobile path, having to either constantly hold down the mouse or constantly click for 30ish min is a little rough.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@GamerSeuss I don’t think the carts are spot on at all, but I also know they’re going for reality. Horses can move that slow while pulling a cart and a quick goolge search shows:

The average horse can run at about 30 miles per hour and sprint up to 50 miles per hour. The average speed while pulling a cart is 2-4 miles per hour. While cute, it’s infuriating to the average player trying to enjoy a game.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@HoldOut ehh, I’m not sold on an auto path finding because it would be too app game like.

• Content Creator

@BlueGoblin said in Travel Time Mitigates Log-in Desirability:

@GamerSeuss I don’t think the carts are spot on at all, but I also know they’re going for reality. Horses can move that slow while pulling a cart and a quick goolge search shows:

The average horse can run at about 30 miles per hour and sprint up to 50 miles per hour. The average speed while pulling a cart is 2-4 miles per hour. While cute, it’s infuriating to the average player trying to enjoy a game.

Horses historically, don't really go that much faster than humans...
    Yes, the Average Horse goes about 30 mph, but the average human runs at 28 mph, almost 90% of the horse speed. Yes, a horse can Gallop/sprint and reach 50 mph speeds, but they can only do that in short bursts before wearing out the animal, and they can't really do that pulling the cart along.
    They don't differentiate the weight of the carts when estimating the horse's speed, and of course, the whole paved road speed up is purely arbitrary.

Now, a horse pulling an empty cart should probably go faster, just as horses should be able to do a short sprint to get out of a combat zone quickly, requiring the rider to stop and walk the horse for a few ticks to cool it down afterwards.

Horses stats should have an affect, but currently, only Dex does.
    Dex should be the horse's base speed
    Str should be how much they can pull before they are 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% encumbered and have their speed reduced accordingly
    Con should affect how much damage a monster can do to your horse before it gets dismissed, and affect how quickly you can resummon it to you.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@GamerSeuss said in Travel Time Mitigates Log-in Desirability:

Yes, the Average Horse goes about 30 mph, but the average human runs at 28 mph, almost 90% of the horse speed.

What scifi books have you been reading? If I could run at 28 mph I would hold world records and not need a car or bike for transportation.

An average human's walking speed is around 3.5 - 4.5 mph. average running speed 6-8 mph and sprint 10 - 12mph.

@GamerSeuss But you are right, a horse with a person will travel roughly 4.5 -5 mph and will canter at about 8 - 11 mph with sprints up to 50mph.

All other points I agree with you!

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

please no. and im not saying this cos i wouldnt agree with some little extra speed, no, its not a point. cos today someone nagging he has to go to work so please make it faster tomorrow someone start to nag "i have to work so give me an instant teleport like in wow". day after tomorrow everyone will start to nag that map become to small and there is nothing to do, and on and on and on. nagging will never end. its good the way it is now. I DONT LIKE THIS IDEA. its the way games work. there is a routine, you gotta kill monsters for 40 min too so what? but u still have to go to your work. will you ask for AFK Arena in Fractured then? the way things get value is the time you invested in them. so basically if you dig an ore and 1 second teleported to a market place then it cost nothing, well not nothing but it cost time between two ore respawns. so TIME TIME TIME and LABORE that how thing get value. so please no.
    if u really wanna trade then trand with closest city. its like saying guys i wanna date with irina shake but im poor and unknown can u do something about it to fix this problem. so game is like a work or gf u gotta envest time in it otherwise it become cheap.

• hmm ok, so what about paid fast travel like the harbors, but with a horse and buggy? and instead of being instant, you have to actually wait for your ride to show up and wait for it to leave... then sit there while it transports you.

Could also give the added benefit of being taxed by the towns and have a certain protection from pvp, but ofc doesnt allow your own cart or wagon to be transported.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@HoldOut yes im agree, it is also bad and talked about it many times explaing how in my view it should be. basically ships also must consume time. not time to transport you, but time to get back for next travelers in a que. so govenrons had to build more ship or upgrade for bigger ships so more players could travel and more often. so new ships should be built like a new building - wood logs, nails, fabric, metals and so on. long time to build it. and numbers of ship at the time grow only with city grade. 1 grade 1 ship. 10 grade 10 ships. and a time of return at least 30 minutes so and everage you can travel every 3 minutes at 10th grade. or soething like that. it cannot be just a magic travel which cost nothing for gouvernor, this is nonsence

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@boogis I think it would be cool to see Air ballon buildings that need built and maintained by the city. The cost of the trip is then set by the port city. If you are a solo passenger it could be cheaper than the person pulling a cart.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@BlueGoblin i like your idea of balloon, so not only ports can fast travel but every city but I disagree with idea of transport resources in balloon or port. Like I said we have to invest time and labore in resources so that it gain value, otherwise we end up like in a crappy ultima clone legends of aria where you simply could buy reagents in thousands amounts from npc vendor. Transport res is a game play. Killing mobs is a game play. We can't just take it all away. Travel must be, same as fast travel but with significant limitation. It can be done like in real life - with tickets. So every hour balloon departure. Tickets for sale. U can book one. Governor has to set up routs. Have to agree with other city Governor for price and time. But its not free for Governor/s. He/they has to upkeep balloon port. Build balloons. Pay money/res to flying crew. They has to do it anyway even there in no passengers, so they have to manage average demand not to loose money and maximum satisfy customers.
    So who will use this service? Traders, merchant, who deliver ingots, rare weapons, coins and so on. But again. We are loosing gameplay mechanic where someone travel with a lots of gold and get robed. U cannot do robbery like a gambling. All you can rob for is just a resources. However, there is another mechanic of taxation for baggage or limitation of baggage. Like in airports where u can only pass 10000 dollars and 20 kilo baggage. Same can be implemented in here with balloons or ports, so that nobody could simply transfer huge numbers of goods a values through fast travel. Maybe if you wanna travel then u allowed only one slot baggage so make your choice.

Also there must be some limitation in distanse. So you cannot simply travel from edge to edge cities with one ticket. Or you can but there must be some natural limitations like a return time of balloon for example. Like one balloon can fast travel you from futherst cities but time for this balloon to return back home will be a maximum, so governors of those cities would have to agree on price and it will be a very expensive ticket. Well, its still up to them to set up the price it can be anything, but time and demand cost money, right? so maybe it will be cheaper to make three cheaper trips that direction rather then one expensive one. Anyway we leave a freedome of choice, but keeping a realistic mechamic of real world. So no magic teleports please.

• Content Creator

@Stabodee said in Travel Time Mitigates Log-in Desirability:

@GamerSeuss said in Travel Time Mitigates Log-in Desirability:

Yes, the Average Horse goes about 30 mph, but the average human runs at 28 mph, almost 90% of the horse speed.

What scifi books have you been reading? If I could run at 28 mph I would hold world records and not need a car or bike for transportation.

An average human's walking speed is around 3.5 - 4.5 mph. average running speed 6-8 mph and sprint 10 - 12mph.

@GamerSeuss But you are right, a horse with a person will travel roughly 4.5 -5 mph and will canter at about 8 - 11 mph with sprints up to 50mph.

All other points I agree with you!

Go to Google.
    Type in "Average Human Running Speed"
    The result that comes up is 28 mph.

Now, I'll be the first to say the internet is full of misinformation, but as the Horse Speeds came from Google Search, made sense to just use the same source of data for comparison.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured