How in depth is the crafting going to be as far as supplying players with things can it be a proper business?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I was wondering if this going to be a player driven work and gear game that like all other games gets overshadowed by drops.

I would rather see a game that the epic stuff be done by an epic crafter!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Reecy22 There is a player-driven economy so at least most of the items will be crafted by the players. Animals, monsters and mobs drops mainly resources and humanoids currency as well. There has been very little details about the crafting but it can be that there will not be such a thing as epic gear because the focus is in horizontal progression.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

There's no such thing as an "epic crafter" in this game. Every character can make any gear if they have the materials for it.

While the game intends to do away with formal equipment tier, the fact remains that certain stat spreads will be better in the meta than others at any given time, and so particular materials (which determine said stat spreads) will be more in demand than others at any given time.

Because of this, I suspect that the game economy will revolve around top guilds contesting high-demand resource spots.

I believe that Arboreus, which lacks substantial PVP, will be the chief hot spot for "smuggler runs" - small guilds or individuals sneaking trace amounts of high-demand materials out from under guilds' noses to arm themselves and others to be viable on Syndesia and Tartaros (which will likely have higher-demand, PVP-focused materials.)

• yea, I'd like to see if crafting skills allow for a specialization in economic roles. same with farming, too. I know they have talked about permanent enchantments for gear.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

One of my favorite things about Darkfall was that you could be a pure crafter and specialize in specific areas for you guild. I'd love to see that here. Ever since SWG, I've always wanted another MMO where you can focus on crafting only and not have it be a side thing

@Caako said in How in depth is the crafting going to be as far as supplying players with things can it be a proper business?:

yea, I'd like to see if crafting skills allow for a specialization in economic roles. same with farming, too. I know they have talked about permanent enchantments for gear.

My cornern is that the focus will be too much in enchanting and the crafting part is left quite narrow.

There isnt such thing as "epic crafter" in any game. 🙂

Its always just RNG connected with getting a recipe drop, and grinding or buying crafting materials. RNG and grind.

There is never any skill involved with crafting, like it is with combat for example.

After a while with enough rng drops... everyone and his mother can craft everything.

@Gothix That's not exactly true. The Saga of Ryzom (or just Ryzom) has en excellent crafting system where every mat has different stats and levels of stats depending on the quality of the mat. None of these are random drops, but can be found in certain places during certain environmental situations or from killing certain types of mobs with high level mobs dropping higher level versions of the same mat. The main aspect of crafting in Ryzom is cataloging what each mat does and mixing them to get the end result you want. The end result is a total of 2000^2000 different items that can be crafted.

I am hoping this game will have a similar style of crafting and it seems that they may be heading this way since the mobs only drop mats (materials) for crafting. With this approach you can have "Epic crafters" cause its the player's knowledge of what mats to use and in what proportion that give them the results they are wanting. Of course, the number of different types of stats an item has will determine how much "versatility" they have with this kind of system. In Ryzom they have color, speed, knockback/resistance, physical damage/resistance, magical damage/resistance, poison damage/resistance, bleed damage/resistance, weight, stat use requirements, etc.

Also, crafters could add messages to the items that they created and their name was attached to the item permanently as being the crafter of the item. All of this made way for certain crafters to be sought out more than others and crafters in general make good money though they also spend a whole lot of time crafting and spending money to get to where they are.

As I said earlier, I would be very pleased to see Fractured implement something like Ryzom has but maybe in a better GUI style.

@Gothix With epic crafter I bet he meant a dedicated crafter who can craft the top items regardless is there any skill involded and how much there is grind or RNG included. And yes crafting can also contain skill or at least know-how, e.g. which is the most effective way to craft or what are the products where you should focus on. If everyone can easily be the top crafters then there is something really wrong with the implemented system.

Even in Albion where the crafting is quite simple and straight forward the dedicated crafters distinguish from the everyday crafters in many ways. Which products you should craft, when to use focus, what tier buff food you should use, where you should refine resources and craft specific items to save money and materials, transporting resources and items between cities and selling right stuff in right local markets. Also you need to buy resources and materials with right prices so you can make profit. Therefore, crafting can be complex system as well, a skill which needs knowledge, experience, calculations, background work, effectiveness, making notes etc. Of course the crafting skill is different when compared e.g. for combat but it does not make it less valueable expertise.

If we are going to see so simple crafting system in Fractured that everyone can easily be masters, then I would say the developers have failed to deliver good enough crafting system.

@Ostaff said in How in depth is the crafting going to be as far as supplying players with things can it be a proper business?:

The Saga of Ryzom

Can't say I've heared about that game and it's crafting system. But if indeed such complex system exist, involving such complexity and need for players (real life) knowledge involved, then yes, that would fit the description of skilled crafting. 🙂

That is however still exception to the rule, if you count how many MMOs have "grind based" crafting, compared to how many exist with "skilled crafting" such as you described. All MMOs I played didn't have any sort of skilled crafting. Just getting recipes through RNG or grind, and learning the skill ingame. After which, everyone could craft anything, provided he grinded out the mats.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Nightmarestang I don't think this will be possible in Fractured. The game design seems to be leaning towards being 95% combat, with everything else as a side project.

@Gothix Aye, the majority gloss over crafting and make horrible systems which is why I love it when I find a gem in the rough that has actually put some thought to their crafting system 🙂

@FibS said in How in depth is the crafting going to be as far as supplying players with things can it be a proper business?:

The game design seems to be leaning towards being 95% combat, with everything else as a side project.

Perhaps they should do something with the combat then... 🤔

It is true that at least at the moment the professions are kind of left aside and I really hope those will get much more attention during development. Sandbox MMORPGs are at best when they can offer players true specialization also outside of the combat centric activities.

@Nightmarestang said in How in depth is the crafting going to be as far as supplying players with things can it be a proper business?:

One of my favorite things about Darkfall was that you could be a pure crafter and specialize in specific areas for you guild. I'd love to see that here. Ever since SWG, I've always wanted another MMO where you can focus on crafting only and not have it be a side thing

That would be really cool and welcome possibility.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Tuoni said in How in depth is the crafting going to be as far as supplying players with things can it be a proper business?:

... You mean like finish the game, because it's in alpha?

@FibS said in How in depth is the crafting going to be as far as supplying players with things can it be a proper business?:

@Tuoni said in How in depth is the crafting going to be as far as supplying players with things can it be a proper business?:

... You mean like finish the game, because it's in alpha?

I mean that the combat is clunky, abilities unresponsive, and the general feel is quite unenjoyable.

In general, combat is a very crucial part of MMOs and if the combat is bad it does not matter how good are the other aspects of the game, it will fail. We could say that Fractured is just at Aplha stage so no worries, however, it is not self-evidence that developers gets the combat fixed, it will need work. Moreover, it is not rare either that released games have underwhelming combat systems even the developers have tried to do their best.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I can't be bothered to find the sources of my understandings, but it seems to be that the crafting system will provide, not supplement, the progression of your character.

What I mean, is that while there will be a crafting progression to achieve to make "top end gear", this top end gear will be sourced by the crafting systems. There will be drops for items used in the crafting process, but the rarity of such items is low - everyone should have reasonable access to them.

I assume that durability will be the main issue with gear to drive the crafting "economy".

Again, this is just my understanding based off of reading things nine months ago. Gear is not the end-game.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Items crafted will be based on the building of advanced crafting stations. Once built anyone that is part of that player city will be able to use. That is one of the things the Devs talked about.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured