Archaeologist Sub Class Tree

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I was watching the video here:

At roughly 49:00 in the time it mentions that towns once owned by players can degrade and turn into 'Ruins".

a neat idea? Allow or create an Archaeologist sub class tree for this. Then as time goes by a player can go to a once owned operated town and do an excavation dig/create a dig site and discover old treasures left behind, old books of knowledge, old cultural information which can grant various bonuses and such. Gold coins, old statues, vases, decorative items, heraldry's and maybe even more?

I though this was a great idea. I think this would be good for 'later on' down the road of course. Maybe an expansion? but it does make alot of sense to me.

@VyrVandalous Indiana Jones meets Fractured? Nice.

@VyrVandalous sounds good, but only (some of) knowledge that town actually had should be available to find. It should not be randomly selected knowledge (that may even have never existed in town). 🙂

• So you basically stay in the town, press a button and get money? Everyone will have a bunch of archeologists alts because it's free money. From a gameplay perspective in a game where it's dangerous to go outside, this profession doesn't make much sense.

In addition, knowledge that can be found should be limited, to X finders.

If few people already found what there is to find, there is nothing left to find for others. Or at least finding chance can progressively reduce, through number of findings.

Wouldn't it be more appealing to just take the town for yourself? I think that stumbling upon a ruined town would allow you to apply for governor in there, which should bring more benefits tha a single time "resource" bonus

@egonaraujo said in Archaeologist Sub Class Tree:

Wouldn't it be more appealing to just take the town for yourself? I think that stumbling upon a ruined town would allow you to apply for governor in there, which should bring more benefits tha a single time "resource" bonus

No...

First off..

This idea was about/to possibly be included in a future expansion.

There are going to be governors/players who play the game but then quit playing the game due to other commitments/real life or whatever.

This will leave a ruined city on the map. So why not add to the environment? the fun of it? make it more 'epic/role playish/cultural? By adding in the archaeologist idea / mechanic into it?

Create a random table.. you find... you discover.... you unearth... an ancient tomb sits before you.... an old mining shaft opens up and in there you discover a small vein of diamonds.. or whatever.

An old god temple relic lies within... You quickly seize it and ferry it back to your temple in your city state/town.

This adds new levels of depth to the game and to the history and to the landscape and the world.

@Razvan No.. Of course not.

Use some Imagination here. It takes work. ... perhaps certain 'dice rolls' are needed to succeed on the task?... perhaps while you are camped out in the ruins there is a random encounter table who may 'attack' your encampment at night? perhaps it takes a few days? perhaps you need to purchase a permit to excavate in this region? perhaps special tools are needed for this?

I have seen many games with archaeologists / the class in it and it does work. I think it adds a serious level of realism to the game. We/the players create the towns/cities. We create the economy... this is what the dev's want... so why not also have us create the history of it as well? and able to excavate from the spoils of days gone by for those who would now lay claim to new regions? or learn to discover new secrets?

If relics are 'rare' for example.. 1 per server and a guild has let's say 3 of them. The guild disbands/quits.. the city goes into decay.. then those relics are now lost to the game/to the server forever in forgotten code oblivion right? This allows these items to re circulate back into the community for us that are still here/with the game.

• @VyrVandalous
    I don't see how it can work from a gameplay perspective to be balanced, fun and not be basically free money. The only thing I can see it doing is starting something similar to HCE in Albion, but there's no need to this in Fractured since you have a whole HCE planet.

@Razvan said in Archaeologist Sub Class Tree:

@VyrVandalous
    I don't see how it can work from a gameplay perspective to be balanced, fun and not be basically free money. The only thing I can see it doing is starting something similar to HCE in Albion, but there's no need to this in Fractured since you have a whole HCE planet.

its called a node spawn. I can see you don't code/program. Its super easy to do. set on timers.. or even depleted. This is not meant to be an infinite well.. but some window dressing to the game.

• @VyrVandalous said in Archaeologist Sub Class Tree:

its called a node spawn. I can see you don't code/program. Its super easy to do. set on timers.. or even depleted. This is not meant to be an infinite well.. but some window dressing to the game.

I didn't say it cannot be implemented. I said I don't see how it can add value to the game:

• if you can only create dig sites on ruined towns: ownership and habitants will change with time, but I doubt there's going to be ruined towns unless the player count drops significantly.
    • if you can dig in non-ruined towns, it's just free money without any risk
    • if you can start a dungeon by digging in non-ruined towns, it's basically just Albion's HCE. However, Fractured has a whole HCE planet called Arboreus.

I don't see how they can make it work (from a gameplay perspective) and you didn't explain your vision.

PS: You'd be surprised to find out what's my job.

@VyrVandalous said in Archaeologist Sub Class Tree:

I didn't say it cannot be implemented. I said I don't see how it can add value to the game:

• if you can only create dig sites on ruined towns: ownership and habitants will change with time, but I doubt there's going to be ruined towns unless the player count drops significantly.
    • if you can dig in non-ruined towns, it's just free money without any risk
    • if you can start a dungeon by digging in non-ruined towns, it's basically just Albion's HCE. However, Fractured has a whole HCE planet called Arboreus.

I don't see how they can make it work (from a gameplay perspective) and you didn't explain your vision.

PS: You'd be surprised to find out what's my job.

I did actually explain it.

Also.. what you said to me? that is like a novice devotee saying to the Buddha... you'd be surprised how spiritual I am.

People do not surprise me anymore. Not after what I have been though.

I'd say its a question of investment vs potential return.

IT heavily depends on how many towns are estimated to get ruined over time. If there would be "little to none" abandoned cities then cost of investment to design a whole profession that relies on it would be not worthwhile.

If it is expected to be many abandoned cities, then it can be worth it.

It would be a calculated risk, designing this.

Point: I can see this down the line in expansion, once devs see how gameplay will evolve, and will abandoned cities tend to be common, or a rarity.

• @VyrVandalous
    Where exactly did you explain how it would work and is not covered by my previous post? Based on what you said so far, the whole idea is to explore ruined towns. Having a town plot is a great asset (thanks to the crafting bonuses), which means that unless the game is dying, towns will never be abandoned. I added some scenarios in which your idea could at least be used and explained why they don't really fit here. It would help if you'd try to work on the initial idea instead of getting upset.

@VyrVandalous said in Archaeologist Sub Class Tree:

Also.. what you said to me? that is like a novice devotee saying to the Buddha... you'd be surprised how spiritual I am.

... In your post #10 you randomly said "I can see you don't code/program" and I replied that you'd be surprised to find out what's my job.

@Razvan no longer interested in this with you. Cheers

What if the archeology would been bound to exploring? There can be various ancient objects like statues, ruins, vases or any kind of old items and places where peole can travel or accidently wander. These can be part of the environment but also at random locations like resource nodes.

Archeologist can then examine these items or places and they can found decorations, rare ingredients for crafting, treasures chests, or even pieces of artifact items. Loot will vary from very basic stuff to uncommon and even to extreme rare items or parts there of. These were just few examples but this kind of archeology would encourage people to explore in the open world, it would be alternative way to make money, find interesting rare drops and maybe even collect more information of lore.

So I would kind of move @VyrVandalous base idea more to open world and encourage people to explore.

• This post is deleted!

• @Tuoni
    Your suggestion is good and we should absolutely have hidden treasures, but it's such a minor thing it shouldn't have its own profession. I think everyone who has enough PER should be able to see them, and in the case of chests, everyone with enough lockpicking should be able to open them.

@Meiki
    I can see potential in such expeditions. Albion has a similar thing, random dungeons maps. Opening a map would mark a location and give you a buff which opens a randomized dungeon once you're near the said location. After the dungeon is created, everyone who finds the entrance can enter (they are not shown on the minimap). The location depends on the tier of the map - if you opened a high tier map, it would spawn in an area of high tier mobs. These dungeons have random themes, bosses and number of floors (1-5). The final boss always guards a chest. From time to time you might get a 5floors dungeon which ends with a legendary boss (and very good loot). I would absolutely love to see similar expeditions in Fractured and they have potential to be more interesting because Fractured has D&D mechanics.

• This post is deleted!

@Tuoni
    Your suggestion is good and we should absolutely have hidden treasures, but it's such a minor thing it shouldn't have its own profession. I think everyone who has enough PER should be able to see them, and in the case of chests, everyone with enough lockpicking should be able to open them.

Yeah perhaps. If we are talking about only finding treasures and not having anything extra on that then I agree it might be too much make that its own profession. However, if something more is implemented around the archaeologist theme and a reasonable progression system can be build around that, then I guess it could be its own profession too.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured