Fan Weapon Type

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I was just watching an anime and they had a Fan as a weapon.
    https://i.imgur.com/HD3R2pd.jpg

I was thinking about this and the materials that it could be made out of and what archetype that could use it. I'm using archetype instead of class because Fractured doesn't have classes. Paper, Wood, Cloth with Wood, Bone, Plant (something strong similar to stalks or bamboo) for Beast & Human Casters.
    Metal for Melee. Demons could have Cloth as Caster Materials. Leather and Bone for Stealthy. Stone and Skin for Melee type.

While I gave some ideas for archetypes, it's completely possible that the material doesn't really effect the archetype that uses. There could be casters that use Leather, Skin and Stone for Demons.

What's neat about Fans is that they can be folded and used to stab (it would mimic a dagger).

Naruto anime had a Fan user but it was a 2h weapon (quite a large Fan) which helped with Wind based attacks.

I dont like the idea of Fans being a ranged attack by throwing but that's an option too.

I know this wont happen at release and I'd never expect it but, maybe, Fractured could get some stylized expansions.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Fans are a very common weapon in fantasy games, especially if a dancer archetype is implemented or extensive Eastern themes are present. The fan from Naruto mentioned - the Bashōsen - is a mythological item from Journey to the West. It's also referenced in the Sonic games, where it serves as Jet the Hawk's weapon.

It doesn't seem to me that Fractured employs these themes at this time, though I'd welcome it in a future expansion.

I don't agree with the fans being folded for use as knives, however. They'll be much too thick. The usual solution is to make every spine on the fan a blade, or even replace its fabric with sharp metal sheets, and use it as a slicing weapon while it's open.

• This post is deleted!

Looks and sounds dope but I personally don't think it would fit in with Fractured.
    At least that's just based off of what i've read and seen about the game so far.

@FibS wrote: "I don't agree with the fans being folded for use as knives, however. They'll be much too thick. The usual solution is to make every spine on the fan a blade, or even replace its fabric with sharp metal sheets, and use it as a slicing weapon while it's open."
    I did a quick search on gunbai, and it doesn't look like those can be folded...

743cdf26-7781-4990-9289-d3c1849dc677-image.png

The idea of a fan made of blades used as a weapon, and esp useful for pc's with high agility/charisma stats makes my Arya-heart flutter with 'Sting'ing joy. "Slice them with the sharp side" I can hear her say as she and Sansa train together....
    muwaaahahahhaaa
    👍

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Jetah
    Like Meiki said, fans were primarily used in Chinese martial arts.
    The way a fan is made (layers of wedge shaped material) allows for it to be made from almost any material available.
    So martial artists mainly incorporated them into their style so they had a means to deflect arrows & thrown objects.

Fan's did not have a sharp point on each wedge until Chinese concubines and female assassins took a liking to it as a hidden weapon.
    This later become the only use for the fan as gunpowder was introduced.

@Jetah said in Fan Weapon Type:

What's neat about Fans is that they can be folded and used to stab (it would mimic a dagger).

This would actually just be like the edge of a desk.
    So it would be like your jabbing someone, except with far less force than if you were going for a blunt strike.

A fan would be cool for a monk/ninja style build

@islesofurth

so you mean all the humans are of 1 ethnic? there wont be any different types of weapons based off of the massive quantity of our human weapons?

i'm pretty sure you could make the wedge into a point. if the side are bone they can be pointy!

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

I worry for you sometimes @Jetah

@islesofurth said in Fan Weapon Type:

I worry for you sometimes @Jetah

why? i have creativity and logic.

humans in fractured will have steampunk and i dont see them being of one type of ethnic so i can see many types of styles from different regions.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I guess it's possible to have a fan for a weapon, but then you'd have to drag a steampunk generator with you, all the time, to power it.

@deusex2 said in Fan Weapon Type:

I guess it's possible to have a fan for a weapon, but then you'd have to drag a steampunk generator with you, all the time, to power it.

id steal that!

maybe the fan is steampunk built in!!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Remind me "The man with iron fists", and the woman using a fan as her weapon ^^ It could work, but so the fan need to be integrated, as it's more eastern, as other people said. But it seem that fans, as we know them, was introduced in Europe during the XVI era. It may be a bit too late according to the Fractured era (that seem way more Middle Age), but it could work, I guess.

@Esher said in Fan Weapon Type:

Remind me "The man with iron fists", and the woman using a fan as her weapon ^^ It could work, but so the fan need to be integrated, as it's more eastern, as other people said. But it seem that fans, as we know them, was introduced in Europe during the XVI era. It may be a bit too late according to the Fractured era (that seem way more Middle Age), but it could work, I guess.

I think steampunk could have a steampunk style fan, using steam to make fan wind attacks, or fire needles, steampunk ninjas would be cool

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Xzoviac said in Fan Weapon Type:

I think steampunk could have a steampunk style fan, using steam to make fan wind attacks, or fire needles, steampunk ninjas would be cool

Or you could have it connected to a steam engine with a hose/tube and have it discharge steam for fire damage, at close range.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Xzoviac
    Something a bit like that ? 😛 (I don't think you can fire a lot of things with this kind of fan, but it can be in this style ^^
    cad4a72a540794cb6f9d7987744907f8.jpg
    Or you have this one, way less steampunk, but can be used as a weapon
    455d5458f67b6e2d65b36c971ed0fd7e.jpg

@Xzoviac
    Something a bit like that ? 😛 (I don't think you can fire a lot of things with this kind of fan, but it can be in this style ^^
    cad4a72a540794cb6f9d7987744907f8.jpg
    Or you have this one, way less steampunk, but can be used as a weapon
    455d5458f67b6e2d65b36c971ed0fd7e.jpg

I Like the Knife, the other Reminds me of the giant Shurkens

@Esher - ooooh!! SHINY!!! 4afb69a4-e88a-4982-ada8-c5e6f992679d-image.png

So. i'm looking up the history of the hand fan and...

The origin of the hand fan is quite uncertain. Thanks to artistic representations we know that, around 3000 b.C. fans were used by Egyptians. Egyptian fans were big, fixed, and semicircular shaped, made with feathers and with long handles. They had double function: blowing air and scaring away insects. Also it was a sacred instrument, used in religious ceremonies. Greeks and Romans used fans, too. The most famous was the "Flabellum" that in the middle Ages was used during the Christian liturgy.

https://www.europeana.eu/portal/en/blogs/history-of-the-hand-fan

Seems the folding hand fan was invented in either China or Japan (maybe both around the same time). In the 1500's the folding hand fan was taking to Europe via trade routes.

Based on that, I don't see any reason to say they're Asian specifically.

Within Fractured, I can see the humans creating them and the Demons stealing the design and Beastkin trading for it. However, I do love the idea of ethnic DLC content that adds different styles of game play and cosmetics. I wouldn't be against an Asian content patch. Being Fractured is a community, maybe the community could vote on which ethnic to release then create lore in how it's added to the game.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

I’d rather they kept away from the anime tropes that are currently hitting the major MMOs. I’d much rather see more unique things from like the Persians or something haha

Wouldn’t be too angry either way, would just prefer something a little more refreshing

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured