Fractured = SAO

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Farlander said in Fractured = SAO:

Is spell damage not affected by stats? I was assuming damage for all forms of combat was affected by its primary stat. Is this wrong? If it is correct then gear raising stats does make your spells better. Now according to this article

https://fracturedmmo.com/feature-spotlight-4-skills-galore/

Spell damage is directly affected by your intelligence score. If you raise your score you raise your damage output. So with gear that raises your intelligence you have raised your damage. You spells get better. So by simple logic better gear means better fighting skills. So players will not be the same strength as time goes by and gear is collected. I don't know any game I've played where collecting gear wasn't part of character improvement.

If the devs removed loot drops and the need to improve your gear why even hunt at all? There is no excitement for loot drops other than mats and if mats didn't turn into anything other than cosmetic improvements then most of the players are not even going to bother with hunting.

yeah i worry about this too, a completely no power gap game, has to be unique in the way it gives players progression, hopefully the knowledge system will supply this need

I think fun of the Fractured will be not about who has "better gear" but about who has gear more fitted to his build and situation.

It should be about diversity, and creating different builds to counter other builds and creating (customizing) gear to betrer fit your current deck.

Player should then own many sets of gear (and builds) and appropriately use them.

Fractured should be about knowledge and skills of the player. Gear will only be used as supplement to that.

I understand low tier differencies between gear, but totally tierless system sounds kind of dangerous path. In MMORPGs the character progression is the main thing. Horizontal progression is nice to have, but it just not feel as satisfied as vertical progression. That is one of the biggest challenges of the knowledge system. However, even knowledge system has 3 tiers so maybe gear has at least the same number.. 🤔

ooooh! a dangerous path! or... a road less traveled?
    SO many options to choose from if what I want is a P2W MMORPG with giant whales running everything. Wondering whether entering a market with so many options already might be more dangerous than carving out a niche where no devs have gone before....

275ac424-834c-4477-8d8f-e829d3887c4e-image.png

@PeachMcD said in Fractured = SAO:

ooooh! a dangerous path! or... a road less traveled?

It is not less traveled, distance is still the same, but direction is different. 😉

People will need goals to achieve or they can bore pretty fast. Now if the gear system won't have any tiers, it won't just affect to gear progression, but also to crafting. If I can craft the best gear I need from day one, where is my goals? In mass production?

I would love Fractured to draw rom (original) The Secret World principle, where players knowledge and skill was the most important factor in battle.

2 players with exact equal gear (and access to same skill wheel), just different in their deck building skills and knowledge/ playing skill... one player could do 500% more DPS then other one, and same goes for other aspects as well, tanking ability, and so on....

Gear being completely equal, there can still be HUGE difference between players... and this is what I am hoping for.... for progression to be not in gear, but in players knowledge and ability to be efficient at playing.

Ok if gear gives you better penetration then in effect better gear allows you to do more damage. If for example I run into a guy and he has the best gear with special mats that give him 100% damage penetration and I have gear with basic mats that give me no penetration who do you think is going to win every battle? I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to point out that everyone won't be equal. I don't want there to be equality myself. Otherwise I have no reason to go get those special mats.

If you are wanting equality explain to me in specific detail how you want to see special mats used in crafting so I can understand your position. I just don't see how gear will be equal unless it is purely cosmetic. This is specifically about gear as well. I realize different builds and even different playstyles are going to create better players.

@Gothix said in Fractured = SAO:

Gear being completely equal, there can still be HUGE difference between players... and this is what I am hoping for.... for progression to be not in gear, but in players knowledge and ability to be efficient at playing.

But that is not character progression, that is player progression what is part of all games anyways. If we can craft and wear the best gear from day one, we could predict quite short lifetime to the game. From crafter pov everything important is achieved during first week, and that is quite bad in any game based on player-driven economy.

@Tuoni it will be easy to pick starting gear and go run around, however customization of that gear to fit for different purposes (go hunt specific hard fire boss) might take some effort.

Not all gear will be easily replaceable I think.. but no gear will be more powerful than some other, just fit for different purposes better, this is why it will not be hard to get back into fight, even if you lose everything, but once you get your general gear, then you will again need to spend effort to create customized gear... or go steal it from someone else through PvP.

I might be wrong, but this is what I think how it will be.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

I think fun of the Fractured will be not about who has "better gear" but about who has gear more fitted to his build and situation.

It should be about diversity, and creating different builds to counter other builds and creating (customizing) gear to betrer fit your current deck.

Player should then own many sets of gear (and builds) and appropriately use them.

Fractured should be about knowledge and skills of the player. Gear will only be used as supplement to that.

I had same thoughts. Basically, what should keep players in the game is a search of new ways to customize your playstyle. However what I'm kinda worried about, this system should be very fleshed out to keep people entertained for long, and some politics should come into play later, aswell.

So far we have a unity client with many placeholders, and while the direction is right it will take time to see what game designer has in his sleeve.

@Tuoni it will be easy to pick starting gear and go run around, however customization of that gear to fit for different purposes (go hunt specific hard fire boss) might take some effort.

Not all gear will be easily replaceable I think.. but no gear will be more powerful than some other, just fit for different purposes better, this is why it will not be hard to get back into fight, even if you lose everything, but once you get your general gear, then you will again need to spend effort to create customized gear... or go steal it from someone else through PvP.

I might be wrong, but this is what I think how it will be.

Problem is that making all gear equal regardless of the materials and time needed to craft those makes zero sense. For example bronze and steel gear has huge difference in every aspect. Moreover, gathering and traveling rare resources around the three planets, and then craft the same shit armor you already have with few different stats will definitely be a huge turnover. I understand your point, but I do not see how that will work (keep players interested) in long run.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Since nobody seems to have understood my op or hint tnx to a purple gecko 😛 i thought i would just tell you.

The SAO justice system as seen in the video lets players kill or harm other players without consequence for those who know how.
    Seriously gotta understand by now.

I'm pretty sure the original post was forgotten as your thread was hijacked lol.

@islesofurth said in Fractured = SAO:

Since nobody seems to have understood my op or hint tnx to a purple gecko 😛 i thought i would just tell you.

The SAO justice system as seen in the video lets players kill or harm other players without consequence for those who know how.

Hi @islesofurth can you (or somebody else) enlight me in what way Fractured is then considered to be like the systems used in SAO ?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Yitra said in Fractured = SAO:

Hi @islesofurth can you (or somebody else) enlight me in what way Fractured is then considered to be like the systems used in SAO ?

Sorry, nope. This makes no sense to me at all. Not only does the example set break Fractured's design to accomplish what is being talked about, but then Fractured has multiple potential consequences that cannot be related to the other example.

As far as I can figure, it does not logically equate.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Yitra

if you really want to understand the title, then watch SAO again having note of what i have said.
    Remember perspective has multiple shapes, maybe you are looking at the wrong one.

@Yitra

if you really want to understand the title, then watch SAO again having note of what i have said.
    Remember perspective has multiple shapes, maybe you are looking at the wrong one.

That's the whole point: nothing you have said or what the video is about, I can connect to the design of Fractured. If I really miss something I would really appriciate clearification.

To be blunt: I frankly miss the purpose of this thread if you can or will not give a straight answer to a polite question. If I would be up for riddles I would go to a different website.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured