When is the Knowledge System being tested?

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Hi,
    I have been watching some videos & streams of people playing the alpha and from what i have seen so far nothing in the Knowledge system was turned on for players.

I can understand maybe some spells or a little bit of the map revealed, but the amount that players had access to in the alpha gave no reason for players to even think that something was missing. (except maybe certain creatures not giving loot)

It would just make a lot more sense for such an important system to have been tested for obvious bugs in the alpha stage, but I understand that delays are a thing for multiple reasons & then sometimes you just want to test things in a different state.

It would be nice if anyone has any answers.
    Thanks.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

The development roadmap explains why the knowledge system is being implemented later in the development cycle: '(...)As much as we’d love to have it already in Test 1, that’s hardly possible, since it requires all the other systems to be in place (with a decent amount of content) to make sense. You need plenty of creatures to interact with, locations to explore, and so on.(...)'. Just give them more time, after all Alpha means 'not yet feature complete'!

@Logain said in When is the Knowledge System being tested?:

The development roadmap explains why the knowledge system is being implemented later in the development cycle: '(...)As much as we’d love to have it already in Test 1, that’s hardly possible, since it requires all the other systems to be in place (with a decent amount of content) to make sense. You need plenty of creatures to interact with, locations to explore, and so on.(...)'. Just give them more time, after all Alpha means 'not yet feature complete'!

I mean.. there could be limited testing with 1 npc type and one location. IE kill wolves and explore some temple ruins.

Even the knowledge system is planned to be implemented later, it seams there was much more planned for Alpha1 what was actually executed.

"Advanced. Includes all the items that are created through complex processes that require crafting stations which can only be placed in claimed areas. Metalworking is likely the most representative example of advanced crafting. The former will be quite complete in Test 1 already, the latter more simplified, to be expanded during Alpha 1."

"Together with crafting, town building will be king in Test 1 of Alpha 1. It can roughly be divided into the three sections: Construction. The possibility to erect public buildings, NPC shops, and player houses. Governorship. The powers of a Governor to control a town and the political system that comes with it. Conflict. Town conquests, sieges, open-field battles – the whole competitive Guild VS Guild package.
    Points 1 and 2 will be there in Test 1 (the latter in a minimalist fashion), with lots to be expanded later on during Alpha 1. The conflict side will likely see the light towards the end of Alpha 1.
    "

@Jetah said in When is the Knowledge System being tested?:

(...)I mean.. there could be limited testing with 1 npc type and one location(...)

That's certainly possible, just not smart from a development cycle perspective. There's several different pipelines and some might block the other. It's often far better long term to manage a good flow with very few bottlenecks.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Logain Thanks for that, i don't think iv'e ever seen the roadmap before

i wouldnt expect this to be implemented till the beta personally. it seems like it is gonna be a really large part of the game, expanding over almost everything. they might hint at fragments of it in alpha 2, but i wouldnt expect too much.

@Xzait

i would suggest releasing it in phases during alpha so that i can be tested.

@Jetah no point in telling me to do that, as I am not one of the developers. just a supporter ^c^

I know zero about coding, but it seems intuitive to me that before you can program the effects of a spell or other form of knowledge upon any part (or all) of the game environment you'd want to have the game environment pretty much locked down.

It's a hassle to need to tweak an effect on an npc mob; it's another order of self-abuse altogether to have to re-do an npc mob AND every piece of knowledge potentially linked to that mob. 😖 😤 😭

@Xzait said in When is the Knowledge System being tested?:

@Jetah no point in telling me to do that, as I am not one of the developers. just a supporter ^c^

i didnt tell you to do that. i just said how I would do it.

@Jetah said in When is the Knowledge System being tested?:

... so that i can be tested.

You would love to be tested, wouldn't you 😛

@Gothix

i have something broken. it wouldn't hurt at this point!

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured