Races and playstyles

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

First of all, hi! I've only been reading for a few days so far but the game seems right up my alley. I"m excited to see more! I apologize if I ask repetitive questions, my search parameters may have been wrong..

As I understand it, races have various degrees of PvP involvement that may make their choice less about aesthetics and more about playstyle. Is this correct? How big (or minor) are these differences planned to be? Would this create a nessecity for alts? E.g. " i need to play race X to be a gatherer" .

And in that same vein. When balancing three worlds together with different levels of available PvP, how will the economy be balanced around that? Will this effectively create a 'tiered' system where better resources are only available in the PvP zones? And if not, what incentive is there to venture into those zones?

Lastly, I wonder how this will affect splitting the playerbase? These kinds of games are (sadly) somewhat of a niche product generally speaking.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

It's not about the race, but as planet you play on.

You can chose any race, and then travel to any planet to play there, and you will be subject to rules of that planet you are currently on. Demons can even turn to angels, and beasts to abominations, so how you will play, and how much PvP you will do isn't dependent on race you chose, but only on your own choices.

Your choice of race will only determine your starting location, and racial specific traits of course.

Neither planet has lesser of better resources, but planets have some "unique" resources, so to get those you will either need to travel to another world to get them, or purchase them from someone else who traveled and brought them to your world to be sold.

Game will feature local marketplaces, there will be no "global auction house". Traveling is one of the key points of the game.

Well players will generally group around the same alignment (evil, good) and will mostly organize like that, but that isn't completely limiting. You can still travel around, and you can even trade with opposite alignment. It's just a question how much you can trust them. 😉

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Gothix

Thanks. I was aware of the travelling between planets etc. However according to this topic: https://forum.fracturedmmo.com/topic/1612/a-compilation-of-everything-we-know-about-fractured/2

E.g. point 3B Beastmen are cut off from town conquest. They are the worst race if you want to PvP. there are differences to chosing your race apart from aethestics:

"if you're doing PvP on Syndesia with a Beastman you have no advantage compared to Demons and Humans. If you're doing it on Tartaros, you're heavily penalized compared to Demons and quite penalized compared to Humans."

@Bryserker said in Races and playstyles:

"if you're doing PvP on Syndesia with a Beastman you have no advantage compared to Demons and Humans. If you're doing it on Tartaros, you're heavily penalized compared to Demons and quite penalized compared to Humans."

Prometheus was talking about the 'base race', whereas Gothix was referring to an 'advanced stage', so to say.
    Starting out, yes, Beastman are probably your worst choice to PvP (though they can still find it if they actively go looking for it) and Demons/Humans are a better choice (personally, I'm going to claim that Human is best for PvP but that's an old debate between me and Prometheus, only the final game is going to show who was right in the end 😛 ).
    That said, as Gothix mentioned, Beastman can turn into Abdomination and Demons into Angles (through a series of actions and quests), which kind of 'turn the race into the opposite).

PvP is also determined by alignment. It's a bit complex as you can already guess.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Logain Thanks for the clarification!

@Bryserker

Beastkin have to travel to the Human planet to lower their Karma enough to be kicked out of the Beastkin planet. If the beastkin decide to stay on the human planet then they have to keep their karma around the neutral range OR they can lower it further to be kicked out and only live on Tartaros.

it'll be a grind to get there if you want it, however, it is an option.

@Bryserker - it's important to know that a player who has bought this game will be able to create more than one PC. My understanding is that each basic account is allowed 3 player characters. So it's not as though you have to make an ultimate choice re playstyles...

My personal plan is to begin with an Arboreal PC, bc I enjoy cooperative, building, and PvE stuff most, but I already know I'll want to have a Human PC eventually, since those have more latitude and will probably have a larger player base. Hoping that watching the Human culture/guild politics develop while I grow my Beastling will ensure that I don't make too many rookie errors where they'd be far more costly than in a PvE setting.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Jetah said in Races and playstyles:

@Bryserker

Beastkin have to travel to the Human planet to lower their Karma enough to be kicked out of the Beastkin planet. If the beastkin decide to stay on the human planet then they have to keep their karma around the neutral range OR they can lower it further to be kicked out and only live on Tartaros.

See, that is weird to me. It's advertised as a sandbox. If I wanted to play a high karma beastman on the full PvP planet - why should there be an artificial wall to prevent rme from doing that?

And the same goes for @PeachMcD's comment. Sure, you can make alt characters - that's great. But in a sandbox I don't feel you should feel forced into doing that just to experience all sides of the game.

See, that is weird to me. It's advertised as a sandbox. If I wanted to play a high karma beastman on the full PvP planet - why should there be an artificial wall to prevent me from doing that?

Maybe because this developer has more in mind than your average Sandbox?

Our mission is to innovate the world of Sandbox MMOs by opening it up to audiences that have been cut off from what we believe is the most exciting online game genre out there - and one with exceptional growth perspectives, too.

If you would allow your suggestion, why not allow low Karma demons without restrictions on Aboreus too........

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Yitra said in Races and playstyles:

See, that is weird to me. It's advertised as a sandbox. If I wanted to play a high karma beastman on the full PvP planet - why should there be an artificial wall to prevent me from doing that?

Maybe because this developer has more in mind than your average Sandbox?

Our mission is to innovate the world of Sandbox MMOs by opening it up to audiences that have been cut off from what we believe is the most exciting online game genre out there - and one with exceptional growth perspectives, too.

If you would allow your suggestion, why not allow low Karma demons without restrictions on Aboreus too........

But how is limiting playstyles innovating sandboxes? I'm all for innovation - but what is bad about letting player bases from different planets mingle? So to answer your question with a question: Yes, why not allow low karma demons on Aboreus? Note, I'm not saying unrestricted. It's clear each planet has certain (PvP) restrictions and that's great - but why would you actively steer how your playerbase plays and who they interact with? Especially in niche games like this.

@Bryserker So far I think it is a choice made by the developers. And one I love, obviously.

There are several ways to make PvP restrictions, An easy one, for example, would have been to make it literally impossible for every player to harm another player on Arboreus. In that way, my beast-man would be 100% safe.

What I like is the challenge for every player to be able to go to another planet (if he chooses so), only for a short time and with challenging conditions. If you would remove that (and everyone could happily mingle at their leisure), we could as well have one planet, with 3 different races to choose from. But then they had to make other decisions about making sure PvE players would feel comfortable to play their game as well.

So the way I see it, this adds up to the choices you can make in playstyle. Some will go to other planets, takes unique materials back and use them for their self or are gonna make a profit from it. All up to them.

Some consider Sandbox being about total freedom, I think limitations like this add flavour.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Yitra First of all, I was rereading my previous comment and I feel I might've come off as a little too combative, my apologies.

For the most part I agree with you. I do think certain limitations are absolutely fine. But if I look at it from my gameplay perspective - I enjoy full loot PvP. However, the funny side note on that is that I'm absolutely terrible at it and actually prefer to be a crafter and play the economy with the occassional PvP trip with friends.

However, if one world has no (or very limited) PvP which can trade with full loot PvP - how does this balance out? From an economical standpoint it's much better to play on a 'safe' world if where resources are 'easier' to obtain. The balancing act on this seems precarious. If you balance it around more dangerous worlds having better resources (risk vs reward) then effectively you create a tiered resource system where the playerbase who does not want to interact with such a zone will feel obligated to do so anyway (or trade for it, but pay a premium). But if those resources can also be obtained safely there is no reason to take risk, invalidating the playstyle of players who do want to play in a risky environment.

Furthermore, it might force people who want to play optimally into creating alts purely for the sake being able to fully enjoy every aspect of the game.

• Wiki Editor

@Yitra First of all, I was rereading my previous comment and I feel I might've come off as a little too combative, my apologies.

For the most part I agree with you. I do think certain limitations are absolutely fine. But if I look at it from my gameplay perspective - I enjoy full loot PvP. However, the funny side note on that is that I'm absolutely terrible at it and actually prefer to be a crafter and play the economy with the occassional PvP trip with friends.

However, if one world has no (or very limited) PvP which can trade with full loot PvP - how does this balance out? From an economical standpoint it's much better to play on a 'safe' world if where resources are 'easier' to obtain. The balancing act on this seems precarious. If you balance it around more dangerous worlds having better resources (risk vs reward) then effectively you create a tiered resource system where the playerbase who does not want to interact with such a zone will feel obligated to do so anyway (or trade for it, but pay a premium). But if those resources can also be obtained safely there is no reason to take risk, invalidating the playstyle of players who do want to play in a risky environment.

It balances out because traveling between worlds via Stargates is supposed to be difficult and takes a group effort; however Demons could do so via an eclipse so have more opportunities to travel to Syndesia and bring stuff back and forth. This means the Human world will likely become the main trading post between the 3 races.

Furthermore, it might force people who want to play optimally into creating alts purely for the sake being able to fully enjoy every aspect of the game.

This is going to happen no matter how the game is structured. Anyone who wants to play optimally will always take every advantage possible.

From an economical standpoint it's much better to play on a 'safe' world if where resources are 'easier' to obtain. The balancing act on this seems precarious. If you balance it around more dangerous worlds having better resources (risk vs reward) then effectively you create a tiered resource system where the playerbase who does not want to interact with such a zone will feel obligated to do so anyway (or trade for it, but pay a premium). But if those resources can also be obtained safely there is no reason to take risk, invalidating the playstyle of players who do want to play in a risky environment.

That is one of the things I like, common resources are on every planet. But the special ones are different per planet. So basically, Every visit to another planet can be rewarding if you get those resources. And with the conditions on every planet, it is as hard for a beastman on Tartaros as it will be for a Demon on Arboreus. So far I understand how the devs are creating this, it seems balanced to me. Time will tell.

No apologies needed, we are discovering a new game and discuss things. It's like foreplay to me 🙂

@Jetah said in Races and playstyles:

@Bryserker

See, that is weird to me. It's advertised as a sandbox. If I wanted to play a high karma beastman on the full PvP planet - why should there be an artificial wall to prevent rme from doing that?

And the same goes for @PeachMcD's comment. Sure, you can make alt characters - that's great. But in a sandbox I don't feel you should feel forced into doing that just to experience all sides of the game.

sandboxes have rules. dont remove the sand. dont use it as a restroom. etc. the developers make the lore so that it's easier to accept certain rules within the game.

Fractured will have similar rules. DS wants to allow the 3 primary types of players an opportunity to enjoy the game. Dont get me wrong here, there will be Demon invasions to the beast planet, so some PvP will exist there. however, when Demons are on that planet they will suffer damage from the planet (think of it like an immune system). You can invade Tartaros if you want but the same 'immune system' system will be applied to you too.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured