Optional wasd movement?

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@jetah This has nothing to do with skill... it has everything to do with physics. Without grounding you loose control of weight. A skilled archer will shoot his bow with less accuracy and a lot less range and power if he moves while shooting. As for swinging a sword, let me put it this way: swinging it while moving away from your target will cause a minor cut, most likely not enough to get through a thick linen gamberson, so it's almost useless . Swinging it with proper grounding (stepping into the swing) will server the goddamn limb along with the gamberson.
    @tulukaruk yes, that's exactly what i'm saying. Stopping to properly take that shot makes a huge difference. Especially when talking about ranged weapons. Even special forces using modern weapons are trained to stop and take aim before they shoot. And this is true even for pistols. In fact tests have proven that trained shooters (law enforcement) will miss a center of mass at 7 to 10 meters about 80% of the time if they shoot without taking aim. Running and gunning is just over the top, kids impressing material. Now yes, this is a game, it is fantasy, but even fantasy needs to have some grounding into reality, otherwise it will make no sense whatsoever, and any super power will feel meaningless. Take warframe for eg. It's a cool game, but the space ninja, parcour thing gets really dull really fast, and people who play this game, play it for everything else there is to it and no one ever uses the ninja moves past their first few hours in the game, unless they are required to get to a specific spot.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@frost devs said that they doing mouse movement only because it's far superior to WASD. And now you're saying something completely opposite. Like we do 😄

And again - the mouse movement will be in game FOR SURE. So you will have your game style. Why deny us the way we want to play it?

Edit: @frost below 😉 The point is that devs said that they don't want to do WASD because it will be HARDER to play that way. And I'm just saying - like you - that that argument is wrong 🙂

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@tulukaruk Hey read my comment better. I'm not denying you. I'm just stating my opinion. Tho truth be said, wasd movement will have a really big advantage over mouse movement, so if the devs will give us the mouse one, I doubt we will see the wasd in game. It would be just plainly unfair.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@darian But that's not the issue here. You will not stop to attack with mouse movement. So while your argument is perhaps worth looking at it's for totally different topic.

I looked on my Steam profile and I have 546 hours with Spiral Knights. So I'm using that experience for my side of my argument. I don't like the constant clicking nor will I like the hold to move. Reason is my wrist will start to hurt again.

@frost said in Optional wasd movement?:

@jetah With wasd it's way easier to dodge and way easier to aim. You are even able to just keep walking arround randomly in circles while aiming, there's no skill in that at all. With just the mouse you need to try to predict to dodge and to aim. It's way different. I simply don´t like the gameplay of a isometric game with wasd. Animations feel totally weird and if you want to play a game like that just play an action mmorpg. Also as I said before, I'm not condemning that way of movement, certainly many people like it that way, I'm just stating my opinion according to my own reason and likes ^^

WHY IS FRACTURED UNIQUE? Fractured is the first open-world sandbox MMORPG mixing action combat... The dev's are calling it action combat, which I can't agree with if it's full mouse movement. I wouldn't consider D3 nor PoE having action combat because of it. Animations can be done to make it look as fluid as they want. SK has 4 directional on wasd movement but has 8 on mouse.

I'm not asking for only wasd but to have it as an option.

@darian said in Optional wasd movement?:

@jetah This has nothing to do with skill... it has everything to do with physics. Without grounding you loose control of weight. A skilled archer will shoot his bow with less accuracy and a lot less range and power if he moves while shooting. As for swinging a sword, let me put it this way: swinging it while moving away from your target will cause a minor cut, most likely not enough to get through a thick linen gamberson, so it's almost useless . Swinging it with proper grounding (stepping into the swing) will server the goddamn limb along with the gamberson.

last i checked, our characters can't trip or stumble, they might not be able to jump, they can survive at 1 hp, be quickly healed to max in a few seconds. so lets remove any focus on real life and pretend we're playing a video game. You don't need to remove limbs to injure someone well to enough to get a killing blow. a kidney strike, nearly any type of abdomen strike could be enough get someone to fall over. But this doesn't matter unless the game has these type of physics built into damage and there are multiple strike spots on every body.

@tulukaruk ...Take warframe for eg. It's a cool game, but the space ninja, parcour thing gets really dull really fast, and people who play this game, play it for everything else there is to it and no one ever uses the ninja moves past their first few hours in the game, unless they are required to get to a specific spot.

Funny you mention that because I've played WF for a few hours and bullet jumping is all people do. Even when someone has the run speed aura it's bullet jump.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah said in Optional wasd movement?:

Funny you mention that because I've played WF for a few hours and bullet jumping is all people do. Even when someone has the run speed aura it's bullet jump.

That's some nice necro 😉 Bullet jump is normal basic movement not the super ninja parkour I was talking about 🙂

Let's keep up the fight - I hope that one day the devs will wake up and decide to give us a chance to try WASD with Fractured 😄

@tulukaruk said in Optional wasd movement?:

That's some nice necro 😉 Bullet jump is normal basic movement not the super ninja parkour I was talking about 🙂

Let's keep up the fight - I hope that one day the devs will wake up and decide to give us a chance to try WASD with Fractured 😄

I don't cling to walls or dash along them much at all. I wasn't thinking of bullet jump as not being ninja movement.

wasd type movement would be needed for either console release or to offer controller support. To open accessibility to handicap players wasd movement is helpful.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Wasd + isometric camera? I prefer the "moba" style. If am I supposed to say my preference 😜

@finland

click and hold or click to move? and i linked a video with wasd in isometric game.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@finland

click and hold or click to move? and i linked a video with wasd in isometric game.

Battlerite is a game with wasd + isometric, so yeah i tryed it out and i don't like it. Click to move is the best by me for an isometric camera.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/992640/Pagan_Online/

just learned that Pagan Online has WASD movement.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

@Darian What an unnecessary douchy comment man... Genobee´s concearn is a valid one! There are many ways to give your opinion without beeing rude. Maybe the dificulty due to mouse movement is a nice feature to make Fractured a more competitive game prone to favouring the better skilled player! I actually agree with you =D

I have seen both moving options in isometric games, but what it comes to similar games as Fractured or which have quite similar combat system, then click moving just feels more fluid option. Generally WASD moving is too angular in isometric games, but way better in games where you can change camera angle.

I personally support devs choise here. This click to move works really well and smooth in Albion Online and I am sure it will in Fractured too. And I do not personally want to see people moving with 45 or 90 degree angles. Moving will also effect to combat why it is better go just with one option.

@PedroBillyMattos said in Optional wasd movement?:

@Darian What an unnecessary douchy comment man... Genobee´s concearn is a valid one! There are many ways to give your opinion without beeing rude. Maybe the dificulty due to mouse movement is a nice feature to make Fractured a more competitive game prone to favouring the better skilled player! I actually agree with you =D

it's been a year.. somethings you just let die.

@Tuoni

I have seen both moving options in isometric games, but what it comes to similar games as Fractured or which have quite similar combat system, then click moving just feels more fluid option. Generally WASD moving is too angular in isometric games, but way better in games where you can change camera angle.

I personally support devs choise here. This click to move works really well and smooth in Albion Online and I am sure it will in Fractured too. And I do not personally want to see people moving with 45 or 90 degree angles. Moving will also effect to combat why it is better go just with one option.

how does moving a mouse feel more fluid when keeping the mouse over your target while letting your character move freely is more fluid? the animation of either movement method can be 8, 16 or even 32+ directions. WASD would function no differently than playing WoW with the keyboard while keeping the mouse fluid in movement.

@Jetah said in Optional wasd movement?:

@PedroBillyMattos said in Optional wasd movement?:

it's been a year.. somethings you just let die.

@Tuoni

how does moving a mouse feel more fluid when keeping the mouse over your target while letting your character move freely is more fluid? the animation of either movement method can be 8, 16 or even 32+ directions. WASD would function no differently than playing WoW with the keyboard while keeping the mouse fluid in movement.

With 'click to move' you can you can point where to move, but you can also keep auto-move button down (e.g. mouse's right button) and turn your character smoothly without angles. That gives the fluid feel. I am not sure, but I understood this auto-move was still missing in latest test phase.

WASD would function differently in isometric game where camera angle is locked and you can not turn your camera freely like in WoW. And what isometric games uses WASD and have 16 or 32 moving directions? I would like to know, because WASD limits for 8 directions if you can only use those keys for moving.

When moving is with mouse, it leaves easier access to use abilities from keyboard. For example Q, W, E, R, T, Y, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Trying to use abilities with WASD is harder.

DS is also small studio and working with two different control systems would not be reasonable. What I have understood it is not a simple task to implement WASD controls for isometric games and it will take time, and on top of that they need to balance that with click to move.

What valueable WASD moving systems brings on table what current click to move can not already handle?

When moving is with mouse, it leaves easier access to use abilities from keyboard. For example Q, W, E, R, T, Y, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Trying to use abilities with WASD is harder.

false. otherwise wow wouldn't have done it. WoW has 12 keybinds "1 through =", plus any additional you need, and uses WASD to move, plus moving the camera with the mouse. There's also modifiers with shift, alt, control so those 12 can be 84! while still using WASD to move and holding the rmb to move the camera!

@Tuoni said in Optional wasd movement?:

What valueable WASD moving systems brings on table what current click to move can not already handle?

controllers can be setup to play the game where disabled individuals would have access. if the game was on console one stick would be movement, it'd be no different in this situation.

false. otherwise wow wouldn't have done it. WoW has 12 keybinds "1 through =", plus any additional you need, and uses WASD to move, plus moving the camera with the mouse. There's also modifiers with shift, alt, control so those 12 can be 84! while still using WASD to move and holding the rmb to move the camera!

False? If you use mouse to move with your right hand then you have your left hand totally free for abilities on keyboard.

Yes, in WoW you have more directions because moving camera is supporting WASD, but in Fractured moving is not like in WoW. You do not have that chance to turn camera and because of that you can only go 8 directions. Still waiting example of isometric game where you can have more directions in use with WASD.

@Tuoni said in Optional wasd movement?:

controllers can be setup to play the game where disabled individuals would have access. if the game was on console one stick would be movement, it'd be no different in this situation.

I do not know what you mean by this, but the game is not designed for consoles.

@Tuoni argument here is not to remove point to click in favor of WASD. The argument is to have both in same time, so players have an option to use any they like OR to use them both simultaneously (which I would personally prefer).

I would click to move to keep my character going in general direction over longer distances, but for micro movement I would aid myself with WASD, so I can quickly change my movement in the same time while using mouse for something completely else, not necessarily only combat stuff (dragging stuff in my inventory around, while circling around mob agro range, and much more).

It is just a huge QoL feature to have an option to use WASD in addition to click to move.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured