How many channels will there be if implemented?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Jetah said in How many channels will there be if implemented?:

still limited to hardware though unless they have access to infinite amount of hardware.

They are certainly limited by hardware, but the Google Cloud datacenter is very well equipped. Unless the game becomes such a success that there's billions of customers, hardware is not an issue. The question is more in the limitations of how the software handles scaling, both by the SpatialOS developers and by the actual implementation of the game developers.

@Logain

i doubt DS/SpatialOS has access to 100% of a Google datacenter. I'd guess they have access to x blade servers under contract but because most centers aren't 100% full they can expand to 1-5 more.

I'd guess they have access to x blade servers under contract but because most centers aren't 100% full they can expand to 1-5 more.

That's not how cloud computing works. You aren't dedicated a fixed amount of blades, but instead you rent a specific amount of CPU time/traffic/...
    It's a bit like taxi versus rented car. If you call a taxi, you aren't getting a specific car, you're simply paying to be taken from A to B, but don't have to bother how that's being done.

@Logain said in How many channels will there be if implemented?:

I'd guess they have access to x blade servers under contract but because most centers aren't 100% full they can expand to 1-5 more.

That's not how cloud computing works. You aren't dedicated a fixed amount of blades, but instead you rent a specific amount of CPU time/traffic/...
    It's a bit like taxi versus rented car. If you call a taxi, you aren't getting a specific car, you're simply paying to be taken from A to B, but don't have to bother how that's being done.

interesting. i would have thought it would have been part of the same hardware. instead of using 5% over 25 servers they'd use 90% over 2. this way the power usage is lower.

There is little less than 8 billion people on Earth atm.

By knowing that multi boxing isn't allowed, and assuming every single human on earth would be playing (including little babies), and counting in that Fractured will be released in a year or two, we can round up numbers a bit, and reach the following conclusion...

System doesn't need to be able to handle more than 10 billion people playing simultaneously. Infinite amount indeed isn't necessary.

Unless devs will allow aliens to play as well (in the event we become friendly with some alien races in a year or two). But then, I guess aliens could be pals, and gift us some better hardware as well.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

@Belligero We will have a unique channel for the game. After the test phases and the official launch we will see how the servers will respond and then, maybe, we will consider adding new ones for the geographical areas where it is needed. In this spotlight, it is explained better 🙂

@Znirf said in How many channels will there be if implemented?:

@Belligero We will have a unique channel for the game. After the test phases and the official launch we will see how the servers will respond and then, maybe, we will consider adding new ones for the geographical areas where it is needed. In this spotlight, it is explained better 🙂

it's the first month that's the worst. if you can get enough hardware to cover that and the second then you should be set. Honestly there's no reason to have login and server capacity issues now.

I understand why some companies allow headstarts but I think it'd be detrimental for Fractured.

@Jetah said in [How many channels will there be if implemented?]

(...)i would have thought it would have been part of the same hardware. instead of using 5% over 25 servers they'd use 90% over 2. this way the power usage is lower.

No, it would use more power. The reason is as simple as you trying to fit the most baggage into a car when going on a ride with friends. You would rather try to squeeze some small bits into free spaces instead of driving with a second car.
    Cloud computing relies on the same mathematics as assurance companies and banks. Not all of a customers resources are used at all times, so you can take what is not used and hand it off to another customer in the meanwhile.

Actually, you can even try it out yourself if you're curious Google's cloud has a 'free tier' 😉

@Logain

power usage should be the same whether it's 5% of 10 or 95% of 2 of 10. at least with using 2 of 10 you could turn off 5 of them and save that power until your 4-ish are at 80%.

at least with using 2 of 10 you could turn off 5 of them and save that power until your 4-ish are at 80%.

I think you misunderstood what I intended to explain.

• In a traditional concept, where, like you mentioned before, a customer is warranted a certain number of blades, it doesn't matter if these blades run at 0, 1, 5, 10, 50 or 100%, they have to run. That is what you paid for as a customer and if you're not getting it, it's fraudulent. Since, as a company, you likely have high and low times for customer access (you see these spikes when looking at almost any game over 24 hours), you need to plan for the high end usage and most your hardware runs idle during the low end usage phase.

• With cloud computing, you are not guaranteed a specific number of blades, but instead a specific amount of resource (per time). Where and how you're getting these resources is abstracted from you (black box). Your game company still has high and low usage times, but now, you can just pay for more during the high and less during the low times. And in the back end the cloud hosting company can mix and match you with other customers, without you ever noticing. That way, while you have a low time, you are paired with others that have a high time. In the end, you just share one physical blade, where in a traditional scenario, you'd be on two blades one running at maybe 25% and the other at 75%.

@Logain
    i'm thinking more from the datacenter side and not the client wanting cloud services.

i see it better, for the center, to have less blades used but use them at a higher percent than using them all at a lower percent. i could be wrong as the AC for it doesn't matter if it's 1 or 10 running as the AC still cost electricity.

i see it better, for the center, to have less blades used but use them at a higher percent than using them all at a lower percent. i could be wrong as the AC for it doesn't matter if it's 1 or 10 running as the AC still cost electricity.

They do that. Demand is shift around as needed and you don't notice because that aspect is abstracted away from the customer. It just looks like they have their own server but in reality you are sharing the server with many other customers virtually.

(...)i'm thinking more from the datacenter side(...)

Basically, the important point for this thread/discussion is the fact that it is difficult for a game company to require more physical resources than can be provided by Google's Cloud data centers. The tricky point is in software implementation and that is what only time/testing will tell.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured