Aggressive and predatory creatures chase range way too low.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I like how wild life act as wild life. The range in which game flee is too small and it is kind of wack how they go back their original spot. Not really hunting, if you lose them just go back to where you saw them first, same with aggressive creatures, they should chase you until well .. maybe 5 times the current distance and maybe give some stackable buffs the longer they chase.. IDK lets be unique. I know this is a combat test, but something are easier to add earlier in development. Though I suppose the code is already done. any love the game. oh and screw mountain trolls

• Content Creator

1. For obvious reasons, the AI is rather limited in resources for things like wildlife, so it is easier to code them with a set routine, and slight variance than to have a much wider range of dispersal.

2. The Aggro threat range of the Predatory animals I believe is set where it is on purpose to make it so that characters have a reasonable chance to escape these 'natural hazards' without getting their corpse locked until death all the time. The code is also probably linked to their area of influence as referenced in the AI coding discussed in point 1

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@GamerSeuss said in Aggressive and predatory creatures chase range way too low.:

(...)For obvious reasons, the AI is rather limited in resources for things like wildlife(...)

Could you elaborate on these 'obvious reasons'? And on the kind of limitation? And you source for that information? 😉 I'm rather curious and AI is a topic that's near and dear to my heart.

• Content Creator

Most obvious reason is Resource Management. In this case, Coding resources. the more complex the AI, the more server coding resources it takes to run said AI snippet, the more processing power the overall game requires, and the less available resources there are for other parts of the game (or the higher PC requirements and Network load the game will require, or both)

As general Wildlife is considered more incidental AI in the game, they are generally treated just like rank and file town NPCs that aren't used as quest nodes. They are given a limited area of influence and range of actions they can utilize.

More important NPCs, and this includes more important Hostile Mobs will hopefully have a more in-depth AI system with a a more robust area of influence and/or set of actions they can utilize. This is important as these are the NPCs in the game that the entire story revolves around. A major quest giver in a game obviously need to have more optional reactions in order to hand out the major quest chains players might pursue through them. The more quests they manage or are a node of, the deeper their coding. Same is true when you get to Boss-type monsters, larger, harder to kill monster challenges will often be only limited by the size of their lair as to how far they can pursue you, and their responses will determine all the various attack sequences they may utilize, and a more robust Boss makes for a more engaging game, overall.

As to my source for this information, I have both been a game designer in the past, and taught game design theory and I utilize my own experiences, and those of my students and contemporaries.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

I think also as the game gets closer to live & the Population increases they will also increase the amount of overland mob's. Purely just so people have things to hunt.
    Got out the Goggles and peer into the future. Careful what we ask for 😃

• If they will increase the aggro range of mobs, then the pve meta will be high mobility tanks aggroing a bunch of mobs and running in circles while ranged DD kill the mobs. Can we have one MMO without that? 😛

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@GamerSeuss said in Aggressive and predatory creatures chase range way too low.:

(...)or the higher PC requirements and Network load the game will require, or both(...)

No, since AI is run on the server there is increase in client sided requirements or traffic.

(...)The more quests they manage or are a node of, the deeper their coding(...)

Even if Fractured would be using a behavior tree (which I doubt that it does), branching has a very, very limited effect on CPU. This is even less of an issue with a state-machine.

(...)I have both been a game designer in the past, and taught game design theory and I utilize my own experiences, and those of my students and contemporaries.

You might be amazed as to what's possible for programmers concerning AI with dedication, imagination and optimization. If you have a bit of spare time, you definitely want to check out on Screeps! Hence why I was asking for the source of your information . Yes AI is definitely within the top CPU taxing topics for the server, but without details on what's available, it's difficult if not impossible to say what could be done.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured