How to implement fast travelling?

• Want a teleport? I don't know if mages have that ability in fractured, since I'm not updated, but they could use something with a downside.

Think of goblin engineering in world of warcraft - there is an item that teleports you somewhere but it has a chance to fail aka 'fizzle', that mean you can be teleported to a totally different place, under water or way up in the air (potentially deadly to fall damage).

What they could do in fractured is to teleport up to 1km or something (forgot how big the land is), the teleport could have a cooldown, and the lower the skill you have the higher the chance that you land way off target (even in the opposite direction) - I mean surely it has to be annoying before it can be used as a commodity.

• Content Creator

Im in the No to very Limited Fast Travel camp myself.

Caravans - YES
    Actual Ship Travel, not portals - YES
    but reserve portal type travel to between worlds and asteroids, and maybe between continents, once you've sailed there previously.

I'd also be okay with a Raid Teleport that could bring a group together for an instanced raid, but limited their access to any shops and trading and such so you return from the raid the same as you left, except for gained Knowledge Points/Skills/Talents, etc..

If they do do more extensive Portal type travel, make it as was said, either Naked, or requiring a weight compensation cost involved to prevent people using this as a method of influencing the markets.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Tuoni said in How to implement fast travelling?:

@Jetah I guess we do unless developers wants players to play only locally and not to explore. This can bore players really fast if they repeatedly plays on the same local environment. Few alts does not make much different because there is nine continents in total, therefore, with e.g. three characters you cover just small portion of the whole gaming world.

Fast travel does not need to mean that players can easily get everywhere, it can offer only few options so players can travel about there (naked), but way that you still need some traveling to get your final destination. That way players have a chance to experience the game more widely and group up more easily with friends and guildies. However, it is of course important balance this well and not offer too much travel routes, and possibility to move resources and items without any effort.

but the game is setup to need clothing to be prepared for climate. it would be horrible to be able to quickly port to a cold place and grab some clothes.
    i don't see fractured being a friendly place to travel. i suspect solo players needing a group to safely travel. i hate that it can be avoided but i also understand the game is a fantastic which is why i feel it would be great to tie it to knowledge.

there will be quick travel between planets, although costly to start. so i think exploring can still be done but will be done during more specific times.

• @Grapher You can't compare this to WoW because one is a full loot pvp game and the other isn't. If we'll have teleport, I want to know exactly where I'll end up so I can create a stash of items there as well. This is because I expect heavy pvp and having to walk half a map every time you die, instead of teleporting naked and regearing, is just not fun.

Bottom line is the only teleport with items I'm ok with are: between planets, Arboreus (and harbors if they change the map design so all the farming spots are in the middle). Other than that there should be plenty of naked teleports available.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I think another cool idea is for players to have mounts(ex; giant mammoth)/vehicles (ship/caravan) where players can transport other players, and/or their goods. Make it a profession or something.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured