New World Sucks + Fractured Makes a Guest Appearance!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Great post.

Haven't been keeping up much with their development, but their response to that feedback leaves a bad taste in my mouth and is a surefire way to make sure I never touch their game or support their business.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

What it comes to New World I will personally focus to examine the game itself and not the community drama. If the game is good I do not care if the Community Manager is unprofessional or how the developers handle their feedback processes in general. Sometimes it is nice to be part of the community but sometimes it is liberating just to focus enjoy the game and ignore all the hustle and bustle happening on the background. 😉

good coverage ^^ ty

• Content Creator

@Tuoni said in New World Sucks + Fractured Makes a Guest Appearance!:

but sometimes it is liberating just to focus enjoy the game and ignore all the hustle and bustle happening on the background.

I have a hard time doing that. I don't want to support a company that treats their fanbase like crap.

@Nekrage said in New World Sucks + Fractured Makes a Guest Appearance!:

@Tuoni said in New World Sucks + Fractured Makes a Guest Appearance!:

but sometimes it is liberating just to focus enjoy the game and ignore all the hustle and bustle happening on the background.

I have a hard time doing that. I don't want to support a company that treats their fanbase like crap.

Yes I understand your situation because you are already involved.

a lot depends on the game, too. I played Game of Thrones Ascent for almost as long as the game was live. I loved that game and would still be playing, but the devs cashed out and are now doing something more lucrative.

GOTA was a 'freemium' game, and like all freemium games it was run by whales with more $$/time than most folks. People with lots of $$ & leisure time have a certain demographic, if you catch my drift. That privileged demographic ensured that the forum was dominated by people who had predictable major conniptions if a tweak was made to balance gameplay after they'd invested THEIR MONEY in the exploit the tweak closed down.

I didn't spend much time in that forum. This one is different bc the 'pay up front' demographic is different. I hope it stays this way.

My point being that 'fanbase' is an ambivalent term. If the main representatives of the fanbase are a small, vocal, and arrogant cadre they have less to complain about if their needs get balanced against the needs of the players as a whole.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@Roccandil said in New World Sucks + Fractured Makes a Guest Appearance!:

@Kriptini said in New World Sucks + Fractured Makes a Guest Appearance!:

@Roccandil said in New World Sucks + Fractured Makes a Guest Appearance!:

The Corruption could be strong enough, for instance, to unite everyone against it, making PvP more of a sideshow.

Rift tried to do this back in 2011, in ended up not working out because invasions would take over low level quest hubs that nobody was really interested in cleaning up. New players wouldn't be able to find their quest NPC and quit.

Sounds like the map design split the playerbase too much. While making tutorial areas exempt from Corruption would be a quick and obvious fix, I'd prefer to see zones useful to both higher and lower level players.

Ultimately, the issue with a system like that is that it (ironically) isn't very dynamic. You can solve all of the logistical issues but at the end of the day you're left with what is essentially PvE king of the hill with simple AI patterns/scripting. It doesn't belong in a theme park style game, and in a sandbox style game it might start out as "cool" but quickly devolve into a "nuisance" or "chore."

@Kriptini said in New World Sucks + Fractured Makes a Guest Appearance!:

... in a sandbox style game it might start out as "cool" but quickly devolve into a "nuisance" or "chore."

Hmm. Maybe it would help to consider the concept economically: if the Corruption is valuable to kill, then players will compete to kill it.

Too little Corruption will result in disappointed players who can't find any to kill, and too much Corruption will result in devalued rewards, and that sense you describe of killing Corruption being a chore.

So, I don't think it has to be a chore, even in a simplistic "king of the hill" system, and long-term, that system provides a foundation that could be developed further.

I like the idea of Corrupted Breached but I also recognize the possible downsides. You can get unique resources from Corruption especially when sealing the gate. This is the goal and reward what players will be after, however, the question is how long? If this happens too often and the whole system starts to feel more like a burden what you need to do that you can actually play the game, then we have an issue. I am sure people will eventually get bored with that system and it needs to be developed further. As long as those players who do not want to participate Corruption activity does not have to, at least most of the times, then I guess the system will hold longer.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured