Special Screen Effects

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but I was wondering if special screen effects are going to be implemented. Such as if you are frozen, the screen has icy crystals or if you are close to death, your screen either turns red or something along that lines...

I don´t know anything about it, but effects that effect the screen are mostly just annyoing and do not really add anything to the gameplay.

Well, if it is well done I am all for it 🙂

Some people like that, some people don´t. From my PoV is something nice to have, still if they add that to the game they may want to add an option in whether you want them to show or not, since many people don´t like it xD

• Wiki Editor

I typically don't like them, but the best was Everquest where the screen just went black if you were blinded.

Since Fractured is third person, I'm not sure it makes much sense as you can see whatever is affecting your character - like being in a block of ice if frozen (or just icy looking).

i'd prefer something like this to be an optional thing. i like the elements but don't cover the screen unless it's a blind ability.

@kellewic I think it's not a matter of making sense or not. Even in 3rd person, if you when you're frozen your screen borders for example get like icy stuff on them, or when your burning they show a flaming effect... well truth be said, this is not a "must have" in games obviously, but it's something some people, like me, like to see in game just because of the effects and aesthetics it gives to the game. So when he created this topic I don´t think it was about making sense or being 1st or 3rd person ^^

• Wiki Editor

@frost said in Special Screen Effects:

@kellewic I think it's not a matter of making sense or not. Even in 3rd person, if you when you're frozen your screen borders for example get like icy stuff on them, or when your burning they show a flaming effect... well truth be said, this is not a "must have" in games obviously, but it's something some people, like me, like to see in game just because of the effects and aesthetics it gives to the game. So when he created this topic I don´t think it was about making sense or being 1st or 3rd person ^^

If my character is visibly on fire, adding it to the screen itself seems redundant. Now if there are no visible effects on the character, then yeah adding it to the screen makes sense. I guess my point is as long as it's not redundant.

Some sort of visible affirmation I'm on fire or frozen, to me, is a definite must have in my opinion. My assumption, given the 3rd person view, is that it will show on the character. They could very well make them screen effects, which might be easier from a development standpoint (I have no idea).

@kellewic Well as I said it's really not very important to the game either way, having them visible both on character and on screen it's not something that would bother anyone as long as they added an option for those who didn´t wanto to 😛

yeah. i was thinking this could be an optional setting that the player can toggle on or off if they wish to.

I like special screen effects, the game would be much more attractive if have, but in an optional way. ✌

@codetsilon i hope that it will not narrow the view radios, i seen it in a few game and its really annoying.

I like when games give an option to players which graphical effects to turn on or off (not just enhance or reduce, but turn completely off if that is what you want).

This is not only good for players to adjust the game performance to their current PC power (specially when large scale battles happen), but also aesthetically some players like to see the "light show" and some players like more of a minimalistic effects, visually.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I'll throw in alongside those saying "Optional if included".

There are far too many games that fail to take a lesson from so long ago and remember "De gustibus non disputandum est." IF there's a design choice to be made, that's one thing. If it's all about what people like and dislike, on the other hand, options will always be greater than a single set standard.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured