Gear and element resistances

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Good morning my fellow forum members.

I know gear does not play a big role in fractured, because all gear will be balanced regarding one another. I want to know if gear does not offer raw power, will gear offer resistances (ex. +50% lightning damage reduction or immune to certain types of CC)? I like the idea because it adds a new strategical layer to the game and adds a new way for players with a lot of game knowledge to differientate themselves from newer players.

What are your thoughts about resistance gear?

Greetings, Sharo

• @sharo said in Gear and element resistances:

I know gear does not play a big role in fractured, because all gear will be balanced regarding one another. I want to know if gear does not offer raw power

Just because there's no gear progression, doesn't mean gear won't have a major influence on your build.

@target true, but unfortunately we do not know how, and that's why I asked about elemental resistances

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

What would be awesome would be if crafting could add effects to armor. So you can make or buy clothes based on what you think looks good, then tailor them to add things like elemental resistances. And then of course people who have the skills to add these things can sell them to people who don't yet.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

@sharo Sound great! It could be implemented as Elemental Gear or maybe some kind of Enchantments that only high level magicians or elementalist could apply to gear

@rodsaavedra enchantments would be cool, but levels and classes do not exist within Fractured. I would think about rare crafting materials

@sharo will there be something like rare materials? They said there will be no grinding so i don't know if something like "rare" fits in their idea of this game.

• @brocki Their definition of grinding is repeating the same dull action endlessly. That doesn't have any bearing on the availability of resources.

@target that is just how i understand "rare": You have to repeat things to get it, if you are out of luck. Or you get it immediatly if you have luck. And everything luck based can lead to grind.

@brocki there are crafting maths that only spawn in small areas of the map, as a result, on other planets these resources will be super rare. For example a resource that drops from a boss on Aborues will be very very expensive on Tartaros

I'd hope (and assume) that gear is as situational as skills are planned to be and in fact does complement them. Resistance is a way to achieve something like that, but by far not the only one.

@logain which other ones would you like to see

@sharo that is a kind of "rare" i did not thought of. That would make sense. Thank you for making this clear. ^^

@sharo said in Gear and element resistances:

@logain which other ones would you like to see

It depends on which route they are taking. Most modern games work with buffs (to have a psychological 'positive effect') for items (e.g. light armour would make you run faster), whereas the logic (and reality like) way would be to have 'less debuffs' (heavy armour would make you run slower and light armour would have less of a negative effect). I prefer the later solution, but fear they are going with the first.
    If they go with the first version, there's always the possibility to 'adjust buffs' depending on environment (e.g. swamp influences run speed depending on your armour, lightning resistance depending on your armour, and so on and so forth), to augment certain schools/effects based on equipment... there's a plethora of ways.

@logain said in Gear and element resistances:

Most modern games work with buffs (to have a psychological 'positive effect') for items (e.g. light armour would make you run faster), whereas the logic (and reality like) way would be to have 'less debuffs' (heavy armour would make you run slower and light armour would have less of a negative effect).

I just hope they won't add something like "heavy armor makes you slow", because in reality good crafted armor just drains faster on your stamina, but your mobility is not affected at all.

@brocki said in Gear and element resistances:

(...) in reality good crafted armor just drains faster on your stamina but your mobility is not affected at all(...)

Try doing a sprint in full plate armour and say that again 😛

@logain Well, the debuff system (second solution) would fit into Fractured very good, since it is all about building your char for their intended role, and gear that has both debuffs and buffs adds a nice strategical layer to the game. Good idea, but as you said it has been ages since a game used that system since it turns all power-hungry players off (which are a lot). I'd love to see it in-game, but from a commercial perspective gear that only powers you up might be the way to go.

Thanks for the insight you provided 🙂

@logain full-plate armor is as heavy as the gear a modern soldier has to carry, but the weight of the armor is spread over the full body. If you are not used to it, you are tired very quickly, but your mobility is not affected. Modern soldiers can doing a sprint too. 😄

Edit:

• Wiki Editor

@Brocki I remember carrying 100+ lbs of gear when I was Army infantry and it definitely affects mobility 🙂

I remember weight being a factor in game so this might be where various armors/weapons/etc can affect movement speed.

The video did remind me of something from Spotlight #3 that there are resistances for slash, pierce, and crush as well. So plate armor might be quite resistant to slashing weapons, but not as much for piercing and crushing.

@kellewic said in Gear and element resistances:

@Brocki I remember carrying 100+ lbs of gear when I was Army infantry and it definitely affects mobility 🙂

100+ lbs? 😮

Ok, as far as i know an armor only weights 50-60 lbs. I didn't expect modern soldiers have to carry the weight of two plate armors. 😅

The video did remind me of something from Spotlight #3 that there are resistances for slash, pierce, and crush as well. So plate armor might be quite resistant to slashing weapons, but not as much for piercing and crushing.

Real plate armor is resistant against slashing and piercing (bow and crossbow, no gunpowder), but crushing could be a problem. If you hit hard enough. 🤔

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured