Character appearance

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

Hey gang,

So I tried to figure out how this works but beyond all the cosmetic items I haven't really managed to find information about that.

How much character customization are we going to get aside from equipment? Can you choose your character's gender? Will we be able to choose certain facial features, body types, etc?

I think character customization is a very important part of any MMO. It helps with making you feel like you exist in the world and it makes you feel unique, something that's very important when you're going to be playing with a lot of other players. There's only so much you can do with body armor and the likes.

Thanks for your time!

• TF#5 - LEGATE

I agree with you. Character customization is important for getting into the role.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

Hi we know "for sure" they will be different color for skin.
    To look at some art info, go to @sunti message. Sunti is Fractured Art Director
    And for different gender character look at @Prometheus answer here about female armour skin

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@terram @Darkmart

well the game is presented in isometric view so you'll rarely see any face customizations. you'll be wearing armor/gear so I doubt you'll see your skin/fur that often. I can't see them doing much because you won't see that much of your character.

now, you could admire your character on the character select screen...

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@Jetah That's very true, but it doesn't mean there shouldn't be any customization at all, since, like you said, you're gonna see that character in the character select screen and possibly in other instances. For example, games like Pillars of Eternity (CRPG with a somewhat isometric view) still have some customization despite you pretty much never seeing that customization. It's rudimentary, but it's still a very nice touch and I think the role playing aspect would be greatly diminished without it.

@Gofrit Oh okay, so it does appear that you'll be able to choose your gender then, since they are just "sticking to one sex for the concept art [they] show for now", in Sunti's words. Thank you, that was very helpful. 🙂

I do hope there's more than colors though. Like have a choice between different horn styles for demons for example, that would be really cool.

@terram
    customization is a waste for a game like this. I could give in to fur, skin and horns for customization but that's it. the rest is a waste of resources that could be put into cosmetic gear or development. There's a good reason that MOBAs don't have character customization and instead it's put on the armor/skin of the model. PoE is a great example. they models are set and there are no customization except for armor cosmetics.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@Jetah As I've said it's not a waste, it plays a part in roleplay and the feeling that you're a unique element of the world, not just another bloke. I do agree that it uses up ressources, which is why I also advised that the customization should be fairly superficial, like in PoE, which does have customization beyond armor cosmetics; you have different face presets, hair styles and colors to match.
    MOBAs don't have character cutomization besides preset skins because roleplay is not a key component of MOBAs. It is in MMORPGs though.

@terram said in Character appearance:

@Jetah As I've said it's not a waste, it plays a part in roleplay and the feeling that you're a unique element of the world, not just another bloke. I do agree that it uses up ressources, which is why I also advised that the customization should be fairly superficial, like in PoE, which does have customization beyond armor cosmetics; you have different face presets, hair styles and colors to match.
    MOBAs don't have character cutomization besides preset skins because roleplay is not a key component of MOBAs. It is in MMORPGs though.

but you aren't unique in a video game. your armor and cosmetics will set you apart more than eye color will.

I've never seen face, hair and color presets in non-china PoE.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@Jetah Not talking about eye color, as I've said what would be cool for example would be to change your horns as a demon, that'd be pretty visible. The point is to make you own your character, feel connected to it in some way.
    Then clearly you haven't played the game. For human males for example you have 14 facial hair presets, 5 face presets and 19 hair styles.

@terram said in Character appearance:

@Jetah Not talking about eye color, as I've said what would be cool for example would be to change your horns as a demon, that'd be pretty visible. The point is to make you own your character, feel connected to it in some way.
    Then clearly you haven't played the game. For human males for example you have 14 facial hair presets, 5 face presets and 19 hair styles.

I have played PoE recently and I didn't see the options. even a quick search didn't show anything.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@Jetah Here you go;

@terram
    i meant Path of Exile, not pillars of eternity.. sorry for the confusion.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured