Hyping this new MMO :O

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Looking forward to seeing how this game pans out! :))

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Hype is bad for a game. It will raise the expectations too high, what usually results in disappointment when a game comes out.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@humbleshore yo check out my sig if you want to hype this game. Will help spread the word

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@evolgrinz said in Hyping this new MMO 😮:

Hype is bad for a game. It will raise the expectations too high, what usually results in disappointment when a game comes out.

Disappointment is better than nobody even showing up to play. Hype it up I say!

• @humbleshore 🦆 🦆 QUACK QUACK 🦆 🦆 Welcomeeee 😄

@fibs I will have to disagree.
    Hype might get you a pile of players at launch, but if people are disappointed, it will lead to bad reviews and many people would see the bad reviews and will not try it out even long after the game launch. Just as an example, look at No Man's Sky and that whole fiasco at launch. Even now after quite a few big updates (and the game is pretty awesome now), they struggle to get people to play it.

So if there is no hype, then a bigger chance people will not get disappointed and people will leave good reviews, leading to more people wanting to play to see the praise of other players.

@evolgrinz hype is okay, until a certain degree

Hello HumbleShore!

LG
    Mata

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Hype might get you a pile of players at launch, but if people are disappointed, it will lead to bad reviews --

I'm sorry, are you aware that this is 2018? Nobody cares about reviews in 2018. Everyone already knows IGN's 10/10s are paid for and that most amateur reviews are from legions of 12yo kids who rate the game what they want it to be and not what it is.

That's why all the Jeff the Killer shovelware has 5 stars on the app store.

-- and many people would see the bad reviews and will not try it out even long after the game launch. Just as an example, look at No Man's Sky and that whole fiasco at launch.

You must be joking.

Are you denying that No Man's Sky was absolutely terrible? Hype didn't kill that game; not delivering on a single promise made, and actually devolving from the first reveal trailer, killed that game. It would still have bad reviews and no players without the hype because it is an innately bad game that nobody wants to play.

Similarly, Mighty No. 9 wasn't a failure because it was hyped too much, it was a failure because it delivered absolutely nothing it factually promised and ate up a massive budget to put out a bargain bin shovelware.

Correlation ("these games were heavily hyped and also failed") does not equal causation ("these games failed because they were heavily hyped"). You just don't know about games that failed terribly if they weren't hyped enough for you to have heard about them.

So if there is no hype, then a bigger chance people will not get disappointed and people will leave good reviews, leading to more people wanting to play to see the praise of other players.

No, actually, that's simply not how it works, as every single last commercial game in history proves.

Most games that are extremely hyped and do not turn out to be scams like No Man's Sky and M#9 retain excellent reviews because kids with unrealistic expectations are only a minority of the player base, and because hype / fandom also causes a competent game to seem better than it really is thus improving its reviews. Good examples of this include Skyrim and Warframe.

A game that is not hyped has no player base to give reviews to begin with and is doomed to fail simply because it did not market itself. "Hype" is just a colloquial term for good marketing, from the perspective of the consumer.

@fibs said in Hyping this new MMO 😮:

Hype might get you a pile of players at launch, but if people are disappointed, it will lead to bad reviews --

I'm sorry, are you aware that this is 2018? Nobody cares about reviews in 2018. Everyone already knows IGN's 10/10s are paid for and that most amateur reviews are from legions of 12yo kids who rate the game what they want it to be and not what it is.

That's why all the Jeff the Killer shovelware has 5 stars on the app store.

-- and many people would see the bad reviews and will not try it out even long after the game launch. Just as an example, look at No Man's Sky and that whole fiasco at launch.

You must be joking.

Are you denying that No Man's Sky was absolutely terrible? Hype didn't kill that game; not delivering on a single promise made, and actually devolving from the first reveal trailer, killed that game. It would still have bad reviews and no players without the hype because it is an innately bad game that nobody wants to play.

Similarly, Mighty No. 9 wasn't a failure because it was hyped too much, it was a failure because it delivered absolutely nothing it factually promised and ate up a massive budget to put out a bargain bin shovelware.

Correlation ("these games were heavily hyped and also failed") does not equal causation ("these games failed because they were heavily hyped"). You just don't know about games that failed terribly if they weren't hyped enough for you to have heard about them.

No, actually, that's simply not how it works, as every single last commercial game in history proves.

Most games that are extremely hyped and do not turn out to be scams like No Man's Sky and M#9 retain excellent reviews because kids with unrealistic expectations are only a minority of the player base, and because hype / fandom also causes a competent game to seem better than it really is thus improving its reviews. Good examples of this include Skyrim and Warframe.

A game that is not hyped has no player base to give reviews to begin with and is doomed to fail simply because it did not market itself. "Hype" is just a colloquial term for good marketing, from the perspective of the consumer.

I bought No Man's Sky on launch and yeah I was disappointed. But then I just didn't think about all the stuff that was promised and just enjoyed the game. And when I did that the game was good. Now after several huge updates, with another big one coming in about 2 weeks, the game is awesome and more the game it was promised before launch.
    Also talked with other people who didn't follow the hype of the game or saw videos about the game before launch and none of them were complaining or were disappointed.
    So yeah, hype did damage the game, because they were simply expecting way too much. Part of it was also Sean, who isn't a PR person but a developer. Developers like to talk about what they want the game to be, not what the game currently is.

And I still care about reviews. I don't look at the score of the review, but simply read what they say about the game and what they like about the game and what they don't like. I also read both positive and negative reviews on Steam and take those reviews with less than 1 or 2 hours of playtime not too serious. And I am sure I am not the only one, especially those people who are not sure if they would like a game could make their choice to either buy the game or not, based on reviews they read about the game.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Well... That is a buzz kill.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured