Secret ways in dungeons

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@jetah said in Secret ways in dungeons:

@fibs

not really. at some point you'd have to think "OMG it's a secret entrance, now i have to find out how to get in". Magic is normal in this game, so people would use it to hide things, locations, etc.

But it doesn't look like a secret entrance. It just looks like a character clumsily noclipping through a wall that doesn't render as a secret entrance on your screen, which also spoils that there is a secret entrance there rather than letting you find that out on your own through NPC dialogue et al.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@fibs said in Secret ways in dungeons:

@fibs

not really. at some point you'd have to think "OMG it's a secret entrance, now i have to find out how to get in". Magic is normal in this game, so people would use it to hide things, locations, etc.

But it doesn't look like a secret entrance. It just looks like a character clumsily noclipping through a wall that doesn't render as a secret entrance on your screen, which also spoils that there is a secret entrance there rather than letting you find that out on your own through NPC dialogue et al.

then you figure it out first.

watch movies that have similar mechanics. there's always the person that walks through then others that are in unbelief. yes it looks like they're clipping through walls. Even the TV show Stargate had a group that could walk through walls.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

then you figure it out first.

i.e. be psychic

watch movies that have similar mechanics. there's always the person that walks through then others that are in unbelief. yes it looks like they're clipping through walls. Even the TV show Stargate had a group that could walk through walls.

So Teal'c or somebody talked to a villager who told him how to access a secret entrance that to him looked like the wall crumbling away to reveal a staircase but to everybody else was just him noclipping through the wall with no special effects whatsoever and none of them could follow him until they also were told the same secret by these villagers?

I love secret paths, I found a secret path in the original EverQuest, the the Castle Mistmoore and its discovery helped pave the way to the final encounters. Secret passages and traps are a one trick pony now though, now that there are dedicated game cartographers and web sites built around them secrets are common knowledge fast. I would hope that they do put in secret stuff, one time finds, and they are done. That would have everyone pushing walls tugging torches and clicking static stuff in hopes of magic treasure.

@mazikar said in Secret ways in dungeons:

I would hope that they do put in secret stuff, one time finds, and they are done.

oh that would be interesting.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@mazikar said in Secret ways in dungeons:

I love secret paths, I found a secret path in the original EverQuest, the the Castle Mistmoore and its discovery helped pave the way to the final encounters. Secret passages and traps are a one trick pony now though, now that there are dedicated game cartographers and web sites built around them secrets are common knowledge fast. I would hope that they do put in secret stuff, one time finds, and they are done. That would have everyone pushing walls tugging torches and clicking static stuff in hopes of magic treasure.

I think having a dungeon full of whackos banging their heads against the walls would be even more awkward and damaging to the game world. That belongs in a parody like a cartoon

@fibs

you have no imagination do you.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

Well 'secrets' are a big part of any game where dungeon exploration is an element, so of course!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Great idea!

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@fibs

you have no imagination do you.

You don't know me at all, do you.

Imagination has to be tempered. Simply throwing wild ideas around without refinement because they're "imaginative" isn't productive.

Fractured is going to have a lot of problems and limitations due to its insistence on 1-instancing every part of the game world, and adding in more and more concepts that simply don't line up with this isn't helping how much that'll ruin the game's focus on an immersive world.

@fibs

I can see you have no clue how to RP which is how the rest of are viewing this from.

I can imagine me looking at a wall and watching people pass through it. I would believe there's something special there and that it's protected with magic or some science that prevents me from walking through it. I can imagine there would be a spell or method to allow me to enter that space. I can imagine some people could cast an invisibility on themselves and/or group so that they could pass through without others seeing them.

In Stargate there was a race that lived on their own planet. eventually SG1 found the planet and chatted with the locals. SG1 found out they were 700 years old (odd because that would assume their date length was the same as ours) and they were highly intelligent well beyond our own. in some episodes later the people that could walk through walls (mentioned in a previous comment) wanted to meet the 700 year old race and with the iris closed one of the 700yo members came through the door. to us the iris was solid and nothing could pass through it. to the other race it was no different than it being open.

this is why i asked if you had an imagination.

I'll have to agree with @fibs on this one.

in some episodes later the people that could walk through walls (mentioned in a previous comment) wanted to meet the 700 year old race and with the iris closed one of the 700yo members came through the door. to us the iris was solid and nothing could pass through it. to the other race it was no different than it being open.

But the show had to explain that those people can walk through walls at some point. If they hadn't bothered to explain it, everyone would complain, because it would be too random. Sure, you can imagine why that might be possible, but it's not your job to imagine these things. It's the storyteller's job to explain why and how these things happen, to establish consistency.

If a fantasy world makes you guess at how its laws work, that world is poorly established.

If there's a lore document in Fractured that explains a long-lost type of magic that lets you create a hidden passage that only allows those who know its secret to pass through, and makes everyone else see nothing but a blank wall, then sure. It's still the same thing (clipping through a wall), but if there's a solid in-universe explanation, there's no problem. The problem occurs when the world forces you to guess at how its rules work.

Imagine if you played Skyrim, and no one ever explained why you can shout. It'd still be the same game, except the part of the main quest where shouting is explained would be removed. The experience would be almost exactly the same, nothing would change about the gameplay, but literally every single person who'd play the game would at some point go, "okay this is cool and all, but why does my shouting set people on fire?" I don't think anyone sensible would accuse those people of having no imagination.

@nelchael

they showed them walking through it first then explained it later.

@jetah

It doesn't matter if it's explained sooner or later, as long as it gets explained at some point.

@nelchael

and it's magic always works as an explanation when you can't explain things in a game. it's not the answer you are specifically looking for but it does work.

@fibs each to ones own. You may maintain your linear path, no need to explore, no need to find things hidden... as if you have time for such things!!!! My apologies. Please then, searching for magic hidden loot here... move along you are in the way.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured