Pre-Kickstarter Exclusives

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I know it's early to mention this but I'd really love to see the Foundation rewards being exclusive to the Foundation. Recolor the items for Kickstarter.

Things I'm OK sharing with KS: Titles, Dynamight Gold, Bronze Founder Chest.

Things I'd like to see be exclusive (color) with Foundation: Feral Wold Mount, Fendyr Pet Companion, Legate Armor Skin, Bronze Founder Foundation Chest, Trained Wolf Mount, Fire Fendyr Companion.

KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVES
    I'd suggest making 3 tiers where the backer can create a unique monster, weapon, armor (piece or set), keeping with the style of Fractured.
    [e] I'd suggest having no hard dates for these items. This also allows you to stagger 'new' content.

Some Kickstarter Advice
    There is one problem with Kickstarter that I'll mention. People will hold tiers and never intend to pay. KS mentioned that you can expect 30% less than the total amount listed, KS fees and taxes. If you need 100k, I'd suggest you ask for 200-300k.

Decide what is the MVP (minimum viable product) that you can release Fractured. I've seen many campaigns where they add a bunch of stretch reward goals and say they'll have it done before release, and they don't have the funds to complete it. I'm still waiting on my Coolest because the person upgraded everything but it cost more than they brought in. Now I see the coolers in stores but I don't have one from when I backed. Crowfall and Camelot Unchained seem to be doing good. Enough developer interaction and updates where a person could ignore it for a few months and catch up quickly. [e] decide on a date/milestone when you'll stop posting kickstarter updates.

If you could hand out a weekend or similar kickstarter backer demo event where we can get in a test before KS ends, you could end up with more backers. Have the client display the account name if you want it under NDA so you can catch people as this happened in the ESO test. If you stagger the backers over a few weekends, that would be great too.

I wouldn't put the pre-alpha or internal testing tiers under 1,000$-maybe under the 500$ mark. You don't want someone to 'play the game', not like it and want a refund.

I do suggest following Crowfall and create a way players can buy and sell Kickstarter tiers officially (a fee given to you of course) to prevent scams. Crowfall called this their Trusted Trader Program. If you issue a refund on a tier, you could add that to the system to attempt to sell it. [e] or just remove it from the list.

I'm sure you know most of this but I just wanted to mention my frustration with some backing I've done in the past. [e] If you feel confident with a 2019 launch just say 2020. I'd rather have a further date and be surprised when if it releases early!

Kickstarter is quite fickle. I have been supporting games for years. Early bird tiers tend to be the most valuable and bring the quickest returns, offer too much and see the early push die out absent goals, offer too little and see the same. The one thing that wins over the most people is just have a solid plan, have a couple stretch goals out in the open as a sign of confidence, and make no mistakes. Game play, polished animations, and good art for the win... all of that is already here so no troubles. I am more than curious to see what this game will have for offer!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

They said they'll have some solid gameplay before KS. They were doing well with news flow - just recently there is a small hiccup hopefully only temporary.

I think its safe to say we would all like to see this game do the best it possibly can, would hate to see it rushed and not obtain what it deserves. The other killer out there is when another game is out on the market eating all the hype, I have seen several good looking games get passed up due to a completely different genre game eating all the attention. Nothing you can do about stuff like that, but if you got your stuff together it could be your game eating all the attention, and that is what I am hoping for with Fractured.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Beta keys! 5$ tier

@mazikar I believe a playable and limited demo of sorts just for KS backers could be the best way to do it.

@Dagimir that isn't bad. just putting pre-alpha or alpha in a 75$ tier will do more harm than good.

@jetah said in Pre-Kickstarter Exclusives:

(...)I wouldn't put the pre-alpha or internal testing tiers under 1,000$-maybe under the 500$ mark. You don't want someone to 'play the game', not like it and want a refund.

(...)@Dagimir that isn't bad. just putting pre-alpha or alpha in a 75$ tier will do more harm than good.

What we know is...
    @prometheus said in New info coming?:

@logain said in New info coming?:

Some games go in the thousands, some in the hundreds

We definitely won't go in the thousands nor in the hundreds for Beta/Alpha access!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah but setting the price for alpha too low will most probably also harm them. People never understand what's alpha/closed beta really is. A lot of free games got us used to open beta being in fact final product but without devs taking full responsibility and closed beta being almost final product. I know people complaining that there are bugs in alpha!

@Logain @tulukaruk

Problem is you don't want a bunch of people having access to the test phase that don't test but 'play' the game. Those are the types that believe what they see is what they get and that's what the game will be like at launch. By increasing the price for the testing phase they remove a bunch of teens and pre-teens and many adults.

Crowfall is in pre-alpha and there are plenty of post asking 'how is the game' and we have to explain 'it isn't a game, it's in testing'. There are plenty of people who don't understand a real pre-beta state. Those are the people you want out of pre-beta phases.

If the developers put the price high, say over 500$, then they should be getting better quality of people to test. at 50$ pre-alpha to beta then everyone will try the game out and many will ask for a refund. This cost DS more in the long run.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

If you mean $500 USD, I don't think that is the answer. They won't get any testers to pay $500 to try out their game. Unless it includes flying them out to meet the devs and allowing them to design a character/monster or a weapon/armor set, etc.

The fact of the matter is, the people who get access to pre-beta game are still going to judge the game based on how fun it is. If they don't enjoy the game while testing then they won't expect to have fun on release and won't be there long.

@oobenonioo

people will pay 1000USD for internal testing. Crowfall had Alpha 1 testing at 500$ and pre-alpha for 5000$. Camelot Unchained had alpha at the 110$ and internal testing at 180$.

So yes people can pay a bit to test the game. Oh, and 500$ isn't enough for round trip to Italy (where the development studio is located).

It seems Path of Exile went another route and just accepted donations direct to their website.

• Wiki Editor

I think a special offer to the supporter through kickstarter is always the way the campaign should be. But i also think, kickstarter is not about what yourself get for your badge, its more how good the idea that is given to kickstarter kicks my mind.
    If i believe in the success of a kickstarter project, i spend my money to help the people behind this project.
    Sure, very special exclusive kickstarter things helps to decide for a special badge package, but the presentation of the project makes the thing interesting.
    Give us some very good "behind the scenes" and we will give our money 😉

@kralith

so you'd spend 600$ for nothing in return? Because I want something within the video game to give them some money. I'm not a charity and don't give companies money because I believe their vision of a game is good.

@mazikar I believe a playable and limited demo of sorts just for KS backers could be the best way to do it.

@Dagimir that isn't bad. just putting pre-alpha or alpha in a 75$ tier will do more harm than good.

To get a game to the state of playable demo might be the point of the kickstarter, I am not a fan of half baked demos as proof of concept. I fear that some people just don't bite because a demo might not be all that good and thats because features aren't all in. If you have most of the game done and playable to the point of having a great demo then what do you need a kickstarter for?

• Wiki Editor

@kralith

so you'd spend 600$ for nothing in return? Because I want something within the video game to give them some money. I'm not a charity and don't give companies money because I believe their vision of a game is good.

Lol, nooo, i did not said i don't want anything.
    But if you get this one more mount or a nice hat does not matter at the end.
    There should be things like X amount of the game, Closed Alpha access, the possibility to get own idea ingame... depending on the badge.
    Usually i see that the high badges are seldom used, but the middle badges are mostly interesting.
    So i think the campaign should contain some interesting badges in the range between 50 and 200 Euros.
    That the people who still are hyped here will buy this packages, i count with.
    But for all the people outside who not noticed the game yet, it is very important to create a campaign that catches the eye.
    Fractured will be special, so the kickstarter should be special too.

• Wiki Editor

Maybe i should also give some ideas instead just telling confusing wishes. 😄

I can imagine, that the kickstarter could unhide step by step - depending on the goals - the Lore, special features, surprises about the gameplay and so on.
    Presentation like a puzzle always attracted me.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

I just want these rewards to actually mean something and not just before worthless a few weeks after release.

@buffybean

that's why i asked the question, which I think was answered during the Q&A last week.

I didn't want to spend 6 months earning these Foundation rewards to just have them in a low 25-100$ tier. I want someone to see the mount or pet and it drive them to engage on the forums to get it themselves.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

They have to think about it if I rember well from the Q&A. Personally I would like to see The foundation exclusive. And new rewards from kickstarter.

• Wiki Editor

@finland said in Pre-Kickstarter Exclusives:

They have to think about it if I rember well from the Q&A. Personally I would like to see The foundation exclusive. And new rewards from kickstarter.

Even though I'm like 11 months late to the party, I agree. It's easy to buy into the Kickstarter, but those who have been here for many months kind of deserve the Foundation rewards. I'm trying like hell to make the top 100 just because that's my competitive side 🙂 But I can easily buy into the Kickstarter, which I think is a bit unfair to those who have "put in the work".

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured