Our journey begins today, with you

• DymStudios - CEO

Hi, fellow gamer! Welcome to Fractured and to our very first developer journal! Today is the day we've decided to make the project public to everyone. Read on if you want to know why we are making Fractured, who we are, and if you want to follow us through this coming long journey.

In the last few years, sandbox MMOs have found a new popularity. A few well-though products have already been announced and are in different phases of their development cycle. We know you know. So why making another one? - you might ask. The answer is easy: because we believe there’s plenty of overlooked room for innovation in the genre. Grinding is still a plague that prevents those of you who don’t have plenty of hours to play each week from enjoying a MMO in full. Controls and combat are often no different from the clichés of the genre that were established 15 years ago. Worlds are mostly static - you’re surrounded by decorations you can’t interact with. Players who prefer cooperation to competition feel punished by game rules. We want to change it all.

We’re a small team here at Dynamight Studios, 5 full-time employees and 3 freelancers as of today. Although we are open to the possibility of incorporating investors in the company in the future, so far we’ve been entirely self-funded. I feel you might be wondering if it’s actually possible for us to create a state-of-the-art MMO. Yes, it is.

Back in the days, only large software houses with massive capitals to invest from day 1 could afford to start developing a MMO and hope to complete it in time. Luckily for us - and for all of you, I’d dare to say - this no longer holds true, as modern engines have dramatically cut the costs associated to the development of any game. This obviously applies to MMOs as well, but the real revolution for the genre is coming today with SpatialOS, a cloud-based world-building platform created by the British technology startup Improbable. That's the technology we've decided to build Fractured on.

Notwithstanding all these new possibilities, it must be said that making a MMO is still a long, tough business, one that takes years of hard work and requires significant economic resources. In this regard too, however, new options have open up to small developers. Crowd-funding through Kickstarter is now a well-established route, and one we absolutely are looking forward to take advantage of in the future.

On the homepage of our portal fracturedmmo.com you can already get a hint of what Fractured has to offer, but we’re well aware that’s not enough. That’s why over the coming weeks we’ll release regular updates detailing all the features of the game in the form of blog entries, videos and art showcases. We’ll also be active on our forums and social media pages on a daily basis, so that all of you will have a chance to speak directly with the team. We want to keep the development of Fractured as transparent as possible and truly involve all of you in the decisional process.

It’s not going to be easy, but with your support, feedback and enthusiasm, we’re sure we’ll be able to make this dream a reality, together.

Per aspera ad astra!
    The Fractured Team

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

How to play this game

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Chiengngan06
    Game so far = concept art and one in engine screenshot of not too much

alt text

Admittedly I haven't paid too much attention, so feel free to correct me anybody

• DymStudios - CEO

Hi @Chiengngan06! Fractured will be available in 2018 for high-tier backers, it's currently in pre-alpha.

@Holya if I get your meaning of "in-engine", that's not. Anyway, several more screenshots and eventually videos as well are going to be released in the coming weeks :slight_smile:

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Prometheus said in Our journey begins today, with you:

Hi @Chiengngan06! Fractured will be available in 2018 for high-tier backers, it's currently in pre-alpha.

@Holya if I get your meaning of "in-engine", that's not. Anyway, several more screenshots and eventually videos as well are going to be released in the coming weeks :slight_smile:

Ahhh the mystery! Can you just tell us how much the shot that @Holya posted is representative of the art style of the game? Is it any indication of the view angle during gameplay?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

That screenshot looks awesome.

Can you just tell us how much the shot that @Holya posted is representative of the art style of the game? Is it any indication of the view angle during gameplay?

Given it's a screenshot, it's probably pretty representative of the art style and is most likely the view angle for gameplay.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Hi @Prometheus
    Just one important request man! Do not restrict PvP like it was in Linkrealms!

• DymStudios - CEO

@HolyAvengerOne said in Our journey begins today, with you:

Ahhh the mystery! Can you just tell us how much the shot that @Holya posted is representative of the art style of the game? Is it any indication of the view angle during gameplay?

It's a very pre-alpha screenshot, but it's broadly representative of the art style and absolutely representative of the view angle.

@Vetro said in Our journey begins today, with you:

Hi @Prometheus

Hi Vetro :slight_smile: The whole topic of PvP will be treated in a very innovative way on Fractured. You can get some hints about it from the game's homepage and on the press 😉

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Hi @Prometheus

Linkrealms had open world PvP except in 2 towns, where it was limited to reds and duels. If not you were playing in PvE server and if you did you did it wrong 😛

You missed the fun times!

@Prometheus should we expect alpha in 2018? Also have you thought if there are gona be wipes between phases or will the party start from alpha? Also pleeeaaaseee explain character progression soon enough cause when i read "grind free" tears come down my eyes!

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

@Siltoruz said in Our journey begins today, with you:

Hi @Prometheus

Linkrealms had open world PvP except in 2 towns, where it was limited to reds and duels. If not you were playing in PvE server and if you did you did it wrong 😛

You missed the fun times!

Oh come on! Who is this guy? 😐

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Pepperidge farm remembers

I'm just saying, if you think we missed out on all of the fun because we weren't on the PVP server, you're wrong. The real fun was when there were 6 or 7 large active guilds and a bunch of players online every day

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@ooBENONIoo

If you think having 6-7 large rival guilds was the real fun, you clearly missed out on the first days of steam release. 200+ concurrent players, with no idea what they're doing, basically no stats, and essentially no criminal system.

I believe one of my characters got ~140 unique kills, and probably over a thousand actual kills on the first day.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Holya shit (get it) that sounds like absolute madness. And yes, that does sound like fun. Until all those new players quit after the first day because they couldn't do anything. Nice job.

Edit:
    Do you want every new player to quit

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Why thank you for your flattery, kind sir.

On a side note: I've been trying to make "Holya shit" a thing for years. You've no idea how happy you using it without being prompted makes me.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Holya said in Our journey begins today, with you:

On a side note: I've been trying to make "Holya shit" a thing for years. You've no idea how happy you using it without being prompted makes me.

Well consider it officially a thing.

• DymStudios - CEO

@Siltoruz said in Our journey begins today, with you:

@Prometheus should we expect alpha in 2018? Also have you thought if there are gona be wipes between phases or will the party start from alpha? Also pleeeaaaseee explain character progression soon enough cause when i read "grind free" tears come down my eyes!

You can expect alpha in 2018 for high-tier backers, as explained in our FAQ. There will be wipes after every testing phase until full release - but of course if you own a Founder Pack or have purchased hard currency, you get it all back after each wipe. As for the Knowledge System, it will be explained in one of the upcoming dev journals, of course!

Anyway, @Siltoruz @Vetro @ooBENONIoo @Holya these are the Fractured forums, not the Linkrealms forums. If you want to talk about Linkrealms, feel free to do so in the Off-Topic section, not here :slight_smile:

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Everything sounds like its moving along super excited to see a vid and what else is in store for this project. 2018 seems so far away.😀

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Уважаемые разработчики, если вы это понимаете этот язык, будут ли новости переводится на другие языки? Или всем придется превозмогать во славу Императора? XD

• DymStudios - CEO

@Kamidzy said in Our journey begins today, with you:

Уважаемые разработчики, если вы это понимаете этот язык, будут ли новости переводится на другие языки? Или всем придется превозмогать во славу Императора? XD

We'll start translating our news - and the whole website - as soon as possible. Russian is one of our highest priorities! 🙂 However, I'd like to ask you to stick to English when posting in the general forums! 🙂

• TF#3 - ENVOY

@Kamidzy said in Our journey begins today, with you:

We'll start translating our news - and the whole website - as soon as possible. Russian is one of our highest priorities! 🙂 However, I'd like to ask you to stick to English when posting in the general forums! 🙂

Oh, i'm sorry about it, but my English is too bad. :3

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured