Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

When I first played SWTOR (like 4 years ago) I thought that this was the norm, but now I know that this isn't the case.

So, I think it would be really cool to have that option.

I am unsure if the crafter or the user should name the weapons, but regardless I find this interesting.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Yes definitely the special feeling of having a sword/bow/staff with a personalized name as opposed to "Iron Broadsword +4" is exciting to say the least. I would go to great lengths to recover a sword like that if I lost it in say a raid

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Yeah maybe ask the crafter to name it for you

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Yeah, can't wait to wield a 'Buttstabber9000'.

i think the crafter should name it
    its his creation and hardwork

Looking at the history of people having the power to name things online... not a good idea.
    You will get names like 'Stabby McStabber' or '8r04dsw0rd' or insulting and other inappropriate names.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@evolgrinz said in Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!:

Looking at the history of people having the power to name things online... not a good idea.
    You will get names like 'Stabby McStabber' or '8r04dsw0rd' or insulting and other inappropriate names.

In such case people will have the choice to just not buy it. possibility to name such items in my opinion would be really great,. You could pay homage to your favorite series, etc.
    Of course, it has to have some restrictions - few examples/ideas:

1. You can only name crafted items of specific quality, like Epic or Legendary. So there won't be any "grey" items, each one with unique name.

2. Naming an item could require usage of some additional components, making the production of such item more expensive.

3. Add possibility to change the name of the item. Either by a different item (magic scroll or something) or by usage of appropriate skill of blacksmith/jeweler/crafter.

In addition, it would be great if an item could have a 'crafters mark'. A signature with player name who have created it, so it would be known to all who has made this awesome item.
    Similar as mentioned above, adding a 'crafters mark' could be available after achieving a high level of crafting mastery and would require additional components to be added.

whats wrong with stabby mcstabber? 😛
    do you dislike boaty mcboatface as well??? 😛

when economics is playermade, how long will smiths name items like those and will still be able to sell something?

come on people truthfully every guy wants to name (or already has) his errr ahh sword

I personally like the idea, both for the roleplay potential and the inevitable comedy that would occur. Even though there would certainly be people like

"I called it... The Piece of Sh~t!"

The crafter's mark is an interesting idea as well as something that was actually done reasonably often by famous swordsmiths in real life, so I don't think there's any reason for the devs not to do this. It's also done pretty often in MMOs in general I think, I'm pretty sure SWTOR has something like that for crafted gear.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@nelchael said in Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!:

It's also done pretty often in MMOs in general I think

I've played quite a number of MMOs and I think it is quite uncommon.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

That would be a problem if the crafter could name the sword and the user (me) couldn't.

If I was the one who could name my sword, or if the crafter could name the sword and I could rename it, then I see no problem with names like; "8r04dsw0rd" or even "insulting and inappropriate names".

I named my sword "Anal Penetration", you won't even know that.

@phaethonas said in Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!:

That would be a problem if the crafter could name the sword and the user (me) couldn't.

If I was the one who could name my sword, or if the crafter could name the sword and I could rename it, then I see no problem with names like; "8r04dsw0rd" or even "insulting and inappropriate names".

I named my sword "Anal Penetration", you won't even know that.

if the "sword" is ass small, then anal penetrator would fit 😛

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

It does sound like an interesting concept and I get where you're coming from with people giving items insulting names. Maybe what if there was like a list of selectable words that you could choose from though it takes away from ingenuity but it prevents abuse

I would like to see only epic critical completions be nameable. Make critical forges rare say... 5% chance, and epic critical a 5% chance of a critical. This way only the best weapons of its class are named. I do like the idea though, and getting a super high end weapon named could be a thing of legends, talked about by all.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Perhaps not just a crafter can rename weapons, what about enchanting it? Let's say your mage buddy has a high enough enchantment level to rename and enchant crafted items. Imagine seeing a flaming broadsword with the name you picked for it in your inventory.

Maybe it could also work like that of CS:GO, the sword's name will be the one you picked but if you look at its stats you'll see that its just a crafted iron longsword.

@resolute said in Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!:

Perhaps not just a crafter can rename weapons, what about enchanting it? Let's say your mage buddy has a high enough enchantment level to rename and enchant crafted items. Imagine seeing a flaming broadsword with the name you picked for it in your inventory.

Maybe it could also work like that of CS:GO, the sword's name will be the one you picked but if you look at its stats you'll see that its just a crafted iron longsword.

[enchant name] [crafted name] [base item name]
    glowing warthog iron sword

Having the creater name it would probably be best. If all equipment is player-made, and you want to make a specialized weapon than ask the maker to name it a certain name. Though that may lead to blacksmiths trolling everyone.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@dybuk said in Suggestion: Just something I always wanted. Name my sword!:

In such case people will have the choice to just not buy it. possibility to name such items in my opinion would be really great,. You could pay homage to your favorite series, etc.
    Of course, it has to have some restrictions - few examples/ideas:

1. You can only name crafted items of specific quality, like Epic or Legendary. So there won't be any "grey" items, each one with unique name.

2. Naming an item could require usage of some additional components, making the production of such item more expensive.

3. Add possibility to change the name of the item. Either by a different item (magic scroll or something) or by usage of appropriate skill of blacksmith/jeweler/crafter.

In addition, it would be great if an item could have a 'crafters mark'. A signature with player name who have created it, so it would be known to all who has made this awesome item.
    Similar as mentioned above, adding a 'crafters mark' could be available after achieving a high level of crafting mastery and would require additional components to be added.

I definitely agree with you on the first point, a crafter should definitely have the option to name their weapon but only if it is of Epic / Legendary quality, but I don't think that should incur the cost of additional components.

Sure, but then we would also need an ability to name our Bow, Axe, Shield, wand,... 😉

Why would only sword users get this cool ability?

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured