Treasure Maps

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I searched and did not see much discussion on this topic. Have treasure maps ever been discussed by the Fractured team?

Thanks.

FLea

• Content Creator

Since there isn't going to be any kind of real 'Treasure' to speak of, I doubt that Treasure Maps would fit into the vision of Fractured. Again, remember, this is a 100% player created economy, where as a game with Treasure maps generally lead to rare items and for the most part, players in Fractured already know what the sources are of the rarest items/reagents out there.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@GamerSeuss said in Treasure Maps:

(...)where as a game with Treasure maps generally lead to rare items and for the most part, players in Fractured already know what the sources are of the rarest items/reagents out there.

In theory, since you're already getting 'salable knowledge tokens' from killing a legendary creature, it wouldn't be such a big step to have 'salable loot tokens'. That said, with the recent massive delay in implementing sieges, everything other than focusing on the real core mechanics (Beastman and Demons first of all) would be a severe sign of feature creep.

• Content Creator

@Logain Except they pretty much said they weren't going to do any kind of salable loot. They did say you could buy/sell the Lost Tales, but other than that, they want the market to be about reagents, crafting materials, and finished crafted goods, and they didn't intend on putting in any other type of treasure that would take away from the player run economy.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Okay, that's too bad. I think rares that have no impact on pvp or pve, add to a player run economy. I got into rare trading in UO and it was a lot of fun. I had something to spend my gold on and it was fun showing off the potted plants, open book, chess set in my house in UO. Paintings, vaces, plants, architecture pieces, rare blue prints (of furniture) from common to rare would be a great addition to the game - notwithstanding the pvp and mechanics are completed and in place.

Thanks for the info.

FLea

• Content Creator

@FLeaLoD Cosmetic rares for house decor are intended to be bought in the Fractured store using foundation points or real-world money as an alternative to Pay-to-win systems. Everything for sale that way is cosmetic, so they are reserving those kind of bits and bobs for that store alone.

The only real trading they are wanting is Player based. I do believe the bits and bobs you buy in the Fractured store will be account bound so they won't even be secondary marketable.

if all cosmetics drop from the store then people will bitch. see the beginning of Destiny 2 for that shit show. you need to have some in game means of obtaining cosmetics so people want to play and explore. People would love to find an Outfit of the Explorer which is only obtainable via exploration. all 3 fractured planets need to be explored (in whatever manor the devs see fit). treat it as the WoW equivalent of "What a Long Strange Trip It's Been" achievement.

small knowledge could be found within tomes within tombs. how do you find said tombs, treasure map! maybe the entrance is hidden to everyone outside of the group. the map can be stolen, thus the group also protects the map holder or they turn on them.

• Content Creator

Actually, the devs have been quite open about this goal, and a majority of those who joined/backed the game I think did so because they wanted to support this idea and ideal.

What didn't work in Destiny 2 might work here because the focus is completely different. They do not want to do ANY pay-to-win content, so all kinds of cosmetics and skins and such will be what you buy outside the game. If it keeps the pay-to-win completely away from the game, most will be more than satisfied with the results.

I like the idea of cosmetic drops as loot. Not everyone who backed the kickstarter did so for the sole reason that everything is player crafted. I for one find it already boring sounding that creatures will have very little in the means of loot drops. What will be the endgame chasers to keep players playing? City building? Knowledge completion? You can't say pvp wars because a good majority of players in mmos do not like pvp. Those pve players usually chase the hardest pve fights with the hopes of nice loot drops. Anyway that's off the subject of treasure maps and already been argued to death. I don't see a reason why treasure maps can't be introduced that could lead to cosmetics as rewards. Cosmetics loot is probably enough to make the pve loot chasers happy and not change the primary focus of the game concerning items.

@Farlander said in Treasure Maps:

I like the idea of cosmetic drops as loot. Not everyone who backed the kickstarter did so for the sole reason that everything is player crafted. I for one find it already boring sounding that creatures will have very little in the means of loot drops. What will be the endgame chasers to keep players playing? City building? Knowledge completion? You can't say pvp wars because a good majority of players in mmos do not like pvp. Those pve players usually chase the hardest pve fights with the hopes of nice loot drops. Anyway that's off the subject of treasure maps and already been argued to death. I don't see a reason why treasure maps can't be introduced that could lead to cosmetics as rewards. Cosmetics loot is probably enough to make the pve loot chasers happy and not change the primary focus of the game concerning items.

You can put me on the same list ! Ofcourse to keep the (basic) game affordable for a larger pool of people, a cash shop with cosmetics will be needed. But having the possibility to gain (non-lootable by death) cosmetics ingame too will make the game so much more attractive in the long run.

@GamerSeuss said in Treasure Maps:

Actually, the devs have been quite open about this goal, and a majority of those who joined/backed the game I think did so because they wanted to support this idea and ideal.

What didn't work in Destiny 2 might work here because the focus is completely different. They do not want to do ANY pay-to-win content, so all kinds of cosmetics and skins and such will be what you buy outside the game. If it keeps the pay-to-win completely away from the game, most will be more than satisfied with the results.

destiny 2 did the same shit. all the cosmetic were in boxes and they only dropped via a level or purchased. they changed that one big patch so that people would explore the game, and have a reason to play after raid/dungeon whatever was done. it was at a point where people just logged in for the weekly chance at a legendary. a source

i'm saying right now, and have in the past, that paid cosmetics gets old quick. they have to have a reason to keep playing when content drought or between invasions/sieges/whatever.

casuals and those without expendable income need a way to get cosmetics even if they aren't 'as good' as those in the shop. there should be some cosmetics that are only obtained via in game means.

@Farlander i fully expect the no-loot-drop from mobs to change after release. people will complain. they will get bored that "nothing interesting will drop so why farm". in even online the system that drops only crafting minerals was the least popular.

now if loot drops from Asteroids, then I'm sure it'll be a different story. and the loot doesn't have to be better than crafted. they could be base items that can be worn but can still be enhanced via a crafter (at least in theory).

• Content Creator

Also remember, Fractured doesn't want to encourage Farming/Grinding for loot, which is what would happen if you put in lootable cosmetics. That is also one of their clearly stated goals.

How they plan to keep interest up in the higher end/late game I'm not sure, but loot drops of cosmetics is definitely not the direction I see them going.

@GamerSeuss As Jetah was saying if there is no reason to go kill mobs for loot then why will people go kill mobs? Knowledge? Exploration? Those get done quickly. Then what? PvE players LIKE to grind for loot. That IS what makes the game fun for them lol.

PvP players can compare no loot for PvE players from mobs as having PvP with no loot from their kills. Oh the shame! Now if the devs decided no loot from killing other players I'd bet the PvP players would think that quite boring.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured