No critical hits for mage abilties?

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Hey,

Since we now have much higher crit chances than in past tests, it's much easier to test this. It appears that the critical chance applies properly to melee auto attacks as well as abilties.

For mages, this is not the case. Only auto-attacks can crit; Fireball, Firebolt or any other spell does not. I have taken that as a feature and not a bug, but seriously am not sure that's the case anymore.

Especially after reading the new talent "Inevitable" which states that "[…] the first […] abilty you use […] is critical if it can be so." this clearly suggests that there are some abiltites, which cannot crit. I have not been able to find any though, which clearly state that in their description. Or is this more referencing to abilities which are not of damaging nature? Obviously a Frenzy skill cannot crit or mage armor or such.

So the overall question is: Are mage abilities supposed to be able to crit and share the crit chance listed in the character window? And if so, I assume the same for attack speed and mage auto attacks?

@Prometheus maybe you could shine some light into this dark corner?

Thanks,
    Silynx

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Silynx said in No critical hits for mage abilties?:

Hey,

Since we now have much higher crit chances than in past tests, it's much easier to test this. It appears that the critical chance applies properly to melee auto attacks as well as abilties.

For mages, this is not the case. Only auto-attacks can crit; Fireball, Firebolt or any other spell does not. I have taken that as a feature and not a bug, but seriously am not sure that's the case anymore.

Especially after reading the new talent "Inevitable" which states that "[…] the first […] abilty you use […] is critical if it can be so." this clearly suggests that there are some abiltites, which cannot crit. I have not been able to find any though, which clearly state that in their description. Or is this more referencing to abilities which are not of damaging nature? Obviously a Frenzy skill cannot crit or mage armor or such.

So the overall question is: Are mage abilities supposed to be able to crit and share the crit chance listed in the character window? And if so, I assume the same for attack speed and mage auto attacks?

@Prometheus maybe you could shine some light into this dark corner?

Thanks,
    Silynx

I thought the same, that you can crit with skills, but until now i did not see that.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Silynx I havn't unlocked that skill yet to do any testing, but is it possible only the melee 'skills' are capable of critting, and not magic based ones? Legit question (coz i probably wont unlock it before the test concludes) 🙂

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

One or two of the mage skills I have say that they're a "guaranteed crit" so I'm pretty sure it's supposed to.I'm not in game and don't remember the skill name, I'll post it later.

Z

• TF#5 - LEGATE

@Znick please do, I'm fairly certain I discovered all spells in this test again and only melee skills show guaranteed crits.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Silynx Yeah you're right... I thought I saw them but was wrong. I play a mage but took a cpl of melee skills by mistake then I was new, lol.

Z

• TF#3 - ENVOY

The Inevitable skill also states that it prevents a saving throw against the skill from succeeding. That is the part that would be applying to mage skills as I'm certain that it's intended that mage skills can't crit.

Could you imagine if Ice Spikes or Magic Missile could crit? That'd be nuts.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Not sure that's anymore "nuts" than guaranteed melee crit aoe abilities with frenzy. But that comes down to balancing at the end. Could just reduce the base dmg of said abilities if this becomes an issue. I wouldn't see that as an argument for or against mage crits at this time.

Silynx

• @Silynx

We must take into consideration fact that Fractured takes inspiration from ADaD games, where "crit" would only roll on weapon attacks, no spells. No mage would ever crit with any spell, still mages were late game powerhouses.

In fractured it is imo simple: melee warrior has to 1) get into melee range to even deal any damage, but he also 2) needs to be tanky enough to stay close as long as possible. Melees balance tankiness with damage - while ranged guys can shoot all day long from distance even on running enemy, wariors must burst enemy down as soon as possible or be kited. For this they need crits, mages dont. Mages have enough time, they will kite melee with slows and stuns while nuking him with nukes. They also don´t need to be as tanky as they rely on active defence - teleports, absorb shields and not getting hit in the first place ---> they can invest talent points into offence, same with enchants. Mages can go glass cannon, melees cant.

Lets take Fireball. On int 25 one can deal 800 dmg. With PER 20 and CRIT damage talent you would get 2400 dmg/nuke. Thats one nuke that critted and it´s aoe. Or Ice spikes: if the ability can shotgun, then it deals 1750 dmg -> 5250 dmg with crit. Lets assume nuker character will probably have slotted at least two or three nukes of similar power level (one of each element), so if your opponent got some lucky crits, you´re dead. Or if he got at least one lucky crit and both other hits landed and he also has Power word: Kill (and every PVPer and their mom will), you´re also dead before you even reach him. Glass cannon mage (high INT, high PER, all into accuracy, crit damage and crit chance, only nukes + teleport + one invis reveal slotted) might delete anyone with lucky crit. Alphas and betas will tell if Im wrong.

Personally im curious about pvp, hope archetypes won´t be too unbalanced.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured