What is the future of crafting?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I'm looking to get back into an mmo to be a dedicated crafting class and I'm trying to decide if Fractured can do that for me. On the home page it talks about how every item is crafted by players and it'll be very dangerous to get certain materials. I read the Newbie Guide and it was fairly light about crafting so I'm hoping there's some other information I haven't found.

Regarding the future of crafting, has there been more details regarding what the system will look like? Will it be possible for dedicated crafters to live in Fractured?

• Content Creator

@blckassn Enchanting equipment that you craft takes a TON of dedication and RNG. If you craft a piece of gear then enchant it right you could certainly trade it for a fair amount.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

There is not much information of crafting available and I am also eager to know how much depth there will be, if any. I am a little bit concerned though because one of the downsides of a horizontal progression is that the crafting part can be more like a side activity and something what everyone can do very easily. Anyhow, I really hope the devs proof me wrong.

Then there will be this enchanting which might have a much bigger role than the crafting itself, offering a lot of different kind of stat variations, however, I do not personally get excited of a system which focus to play with the different stats on the same basic gear. From development point of view this would much easier solution but in other the result also looks like it has been the easier solution.

I really hope that the crafting will be the main thing and enchanting just the extra on top of that and not vice versa. Crafting is one of the top activities I enjoy to do as well and if that part will be too shallow I know it will not keep me interested very long, and most likely this will be the case with other crafting oriented players as well.

@Tuoni said in What is the future of crafting?:

hich might have a much bigger role than the crafting itself, offering a lot of different kind of stat variation

I hoping they work on their crafting as well, and maybe make skills to learn to do certain crafting instead of just letting everyone do it off the bat. They did say that the more you study an enchant the more KP you will gain, so maybe they already plan on adding skills for crafting, but don't know. Just hope so. Will make a crafting class viable then.

• Wiki Editor

There is not much information of crafting available and I am also eager to know how much depth there will be, if any. I am a little bit concerned though because one of the downsides of a horizontal progression is that the crafting part can be more like a side activity and something what everyone can do very easily. Anyhow, I really hope the devs proof me wrong.

Well we have some informations about crafting and i am quite sure it will be much what we will be able to do.
    Look to the Everything-We-Know Thread at the Chapter 8.
    I am quite sure, Crafting will not just be a side activity 😉

@Kralith said in What is the future of crafting?:

Well we have some informations about crafting and i am quite sure it will be much what we will be able to do.
    Look to the Everything-We-Know Thread at the Chapter 8.

Yes we have that very high level stuff, therefore, like I said we do not have that much information. Based on that compilation it is really hard to say how much depth the crafting will have. However, quotes like "There are no crafting levels or ranks" and "here are no rarity tiers like common, uncommon, rare, epic, etc" and "Resources aren't tiered" does not sound like the system would offer much depth or complexicity. On top of that at least half of the bullet points are no-brainers or does not actually open the crafting itself.

There is few small positive points as well, like "You can learn all crafting recipes" which is how this should be in a sandbox game. However, "Attributes affect the things you can craft" might ruin the whole thing if it has too much influence. The number of professions gives some hope "Some of the crafting professions: Leatherworking, metalworking, carpentry, tanning, tailoring, bowyery, cooking, alchemy, jewelcrafting, etc." and especially the etc. part if there will be several others on top of that list.

I am quite sure, Crafting will not just be a side activity 😉

Based on that compilation I would not be so sure.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Tuoni This does make it sound very much like a self sufficient sort of system versus catering to dedicated crafters. If anything it sounds like there could be dedicated crafting if it takes a long time to make certain items.

It seems like what @Nekrage said might be a more sensible idea, at least for now. Crafting and then enchanting could be a dedicated play style since it seems crafting will be fairly straight forward.

We'll see how it goes. I think I'm going to wait just a bit more before pledging to see how crafting and enchanting get fleshed out.

@blckassn said in What is the future of crafting?:

@Tuoni This does make it sound very much like a self sufficient sort of system versus catering to dedicated crafters. If anything it sounds like there could be dedicated crafting if it takes a long time to make certain items.

I have understood that people can be self-sufficient, however, I hope not too much unless their main focus is in professions. That long time sounded more like there will be several ingredients, it is also said that replacing gear will be relatively easy, therefore, I guess that part was a little bit misleading. One important question is that how most of the recipes can be learned? Because it might be that you cannot play as a pure crafter if those recipes are behind open world content.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Tuoni on the crafting Q&A it says that you can learn all recipes. Some of them are rare and harder to find, some will only be available on certain worlds, and others can only be learned through relics. So it sounds like there will be some difficulty in finding the highest tier recipes, and probably not worth it to those that want to focus on pvp unless they want a very specific item.

https://forum.fracturedmmo.com/topic/5608/summary-of-the-crafting-building-q-a-livestream/2

Recipes:

You can learn all crafting recipes. There are no specializations. No limits on the number of crafting professions you can have.

Some recipes can only be learned on specific planets.

Some recipes (and abilities) are learned through ancient knowledge and relics.

Some recipes will be rare, but no recipe will be limited to a set amount of players.

There are no special secret dev-controlled crafting recipes.

You cannot share your recipes. You can just give someone else a completed item to let them study it anyway.

@blckassn Sure but still the concreteness is missing, how (in practice) those recipes will be learned or obtained? It can easily be that the dedicated crafters are not the ones who will get the rare recipes especially if they do less PvE or PvP content when compared to many other players, and recipes or parts there of are found from the open world or dropped from the mobs. If we think WoW for example the best recipes are either behind faction repution grind or drops from dungeons and especially from raids. Therefore, the best crafters are most likely the raiders rather than those who really focus to do crafting.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Tuoni That's a very good point and something I hope won't happen. I was only trying to show what the Q&A said about the crafting.

We'll just have to wait and see how they plan on implementing it. I think I'll be waiting a bit longer until we get more details about it.

Yes we really need to wait and see what happens. I personally hope that crafters have a possibility to learn the recipes somehow via crafting even some recipes would be found or learned other ways as well. Crafting in MMOs is typically one of my top object of interest and especially when combined to other economic aspects like trade and market. Therefore, I will examine very closely what kind of system there is planned to be implemented, and what are its strengths and weaknesses.

@Tuoni ditto that!

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured