[Poll] City Reputation System

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Each player could have reputation tied to any particular city, better reputation with particular city, he would have some discount at NPCs, and some extra options becoming available to him at certain reputation thresholds.

There could be several ways to increase (and decrease) base reputation with specific city. Base Reputation would then get additionally increased or decreased by temporary factors like... is player member of guild that's currently ruling the city, what is players karma, is player currently citizen of that city, and so on.

Players would have different base reputation tied to each different city.

Does this idea sound appealing or not?

@Gothix sounds like faction rep, I always liked building up rep, if it gets to low the city could start putting hits out on you

• TF#10 - CONSUL

It can be interesting, but most of the time, when you have to increase your reputation, you have to do things, not only being part of the guild that rule the city. Maybe there could be some tasks to do (as we know there is no quests), or maybe if you build a building, or refund the city treasure,...

i think with fractured aiming to be dynamic, this sort of feature would be neccissary. Something like killing a player from or close to the city for example could dramatically lower rep. Investing time to help clean the city up a little could increase it. simply barting with merchants could be another way to increase, and stealing items be another way to decrease rep.

another thing thay could happen... if it is a player built town, the lord/govenor? of the town could hire NPC guards to protect it. And if someone with a really low rep tries to enter, they will either be attacked on sight or heavily fined, or taken to some kind of prison if they r knocked out?

i thought they said there were limited NPCs and no grinding. wouldn't rep require NPCs and grinding?

@Jetah said in [Poll] City Reputation System:

i thought they said there were limited NPCs and no grinding. wouldn't rep require NPCs and grinding?

My thoughts exactly. I imagine this would require a similar extended system as the knowledge system if you want to avoid grinding for reputation in just a small part of the map.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Interesting suggestion, @Gothix! It would definitely serve as a social mechanic that incentivizes skill and a positive reputation. (Which should help deter ganking, if karma is involved.)

How so?

@Alexian said in [Poll] City Reputation System:

Interesting suggestion, @Gothix! It would definitely serve as a social mechanic that incentivizes skill and a positive reputation. (Which should help deter ganking, if karma is involved.)

How so?

how do you get your reputation increased with a town/npc if there's no grinding advertised? if we have little quantity of npcs, how does one get a discount with an npc if the game advertises a "player economy"?

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Alexian said in [Poll] City Reputation System:

How so?

how do you get your reputation increased with a town/npc if there's no grinding advertised? if we have little quantity of npcs, how does one get a discount with an npc if the game advertises a "player economy"?

I may have misunderstood, but I don't think @Gothix's proposal ties reputation to attributes/knowledge points/talents per se.

His post mentions that a player's reputation is particular to each city and could be influenced by karma, whether or not he's a member of the ruling guild, whether or not he's an actual registered citizen of the city, etc.

I imagine local politics and favor with the city's Governor would also have the means to positively or negatively impact a person's reputation.

I chose the 'I dunno' option because my desire for this feature would vary greatly depending on how this idea got implemented.

Done well, this would add a LOT to the game for me, and I truly appreciate @Gothix raising the suggestion 👍 👍 👍
    But @Jetah's concern about how this would be done w/o grind is well-founded. Not impossible to avoid, but an important proviso.

Defining the word 'grind' so we all know what we're avoiding is an important first step. For some, any interaction that doesn't result in a PvP victory or loot acquisition is 'grind' by definition. Those folks will be impatient about gathering crafting mats, while for someone else who enjoys crafting, gathering is a feature, not a bug. That discussion will probably require a separate thread tho 😉

@Alexian

they also mentioned discounts with NPCs but there shouldn't be any NPC selling goods outside of what players have created and i wouldn't sell stuff at a discount because of reputation. unless it was personal reputation to me like if they're always buying x item.

No. Everyone who's ever played wow for a decent amount of time got sick of reputation grinding years ago.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I'm going to say no.

I wouldn't mind if it's there just for shit and giggles but then that's just pointless.

If there's rewards to come out of it, then I'm definitely against it.

@Belligero said in [Poll] City Reputation System:

I'm going to say no.

I wouldn't mind if it's there just for shit and giggles but then that's just pointless.

If there's rewards to come out of it, then I'm definitely against it.

Why are you against rewards?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@Xzait That can be an interesting thing. Maybe the city can create a board with the name of the people with less reputation, and a reward if they're killed near the city, a kind of bounty, but only around the city, to avoid a real man hunt.

@Xzait said in [Poll] City Reputation System:

Something like killing a player from or close to the city for example could dramatically lower rep.

This is a good example. Specially if it's city ruled by good guild.

But perhaps if city is ruled by evil guild, and they set different rules, killing a player (that's not a guild member or citizen of this city) could actually increase rep.

There can be many complex factors in such dynamic game, and if this all would be implemented well (avoiding the classic grind) it could be a positive feature.

I also hate the grind. 😉

I am not sure about this and how this would suit in Fractured.. Discounts from NPC vensors and grinding reputation are kind of against the concept like already mentioned.. However, maybe decreased taxes could work, and if the reputation system can be implemented somehow reasoanable and less painful way than WoW ( exalted, exalted, exalted.. 🙈 ). Anyway, town rep could increase with trading activities, construct and repairing buildings, catching thiefs and murderers for example.

Yeah I agree, It would have to be implemented "seamlessly" to avoid classic grinding. Rep could get modified by various everyday activities that people will do anyway, both from PvE and PvP area, and then adjusted depending if city is ruled "good" or "evil" way.

I personally believe that if this would be implemented in "non grindy" way, and offer some "horizontal progression" type rewards and options, it coul'd be a nice addition to the game.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I'm not sure. It depends largely upon three factors:

1. Time to add. That is, how much of a hit will this make to the game development. Coming in after initial launch would be something that would negate this factor with this system.
    2. Complexity of rules. That is, are the rules complex enough to do what is needed, but not too complex so that people can actually understand them easily. This can also be considered as a "Can we actually understand the effects of what we are about to do" rule. If every city has a dozen different rules that can affect you around the entire world, then somebody is going to be very upset when, say, they cut down a tree to build something and a city hates them.
    3. Exclusions and fairness, along with territory changes: Exclusions for trade and diplomatic ties would be basically required in PvP scenarios. There is potential for people in charge to punish other people in a city with such a system. Territory changes cannot leave a city that would view the residents as enemies, and a large change instantly could also be rather less than fair to people who were offline during a change.

Those three issues are where I see this having potential problems. Not that they cannot be overcome, but that they need to be considered with this.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured