Friendly Fire

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Target said in Friendly Fire:

@Goemoe said in Friendly Fire:

Where is the gain of friendly fire beside "realism" which isn't that useful in a game anyway?

It adds far more tactical depth to group vs group combat and is a way to counter large unorganized zergs from dominating everything. Since the end game seems to be GvG fighting for territory control, large scale PvP balance is important.

It adds tactical depth because you have to look out for your own team members? When you AOE the incoming zerg all that friendly fire does is impacting your own attack. In group vs. group fights most people run around like crazy. Friendly fire will hurt the fighting if anything. You can't counter the attacking force because the only thing friendly fire does is limiting your own choices due to the damage you might inflict on your very own team.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Goemoe

when you see a zerg of demons on your beast planet, you'll be wishing and praying for FF!

• @Goemoe said in Friendly Fire:

It adds tactical depth because you have to look out for your own team members?

Yes? Positioning and choosing when, where, and how to attack are huge parts of tactical play.

When you AOE the incoming zerg all that friendly fire does is impacting your own attack.

That's true and it's why tactical play is needed. If one group "running around like crazy" fights another group that actually has a strategy to deal with that, who do you think will win? Smaller, more organized groups can leverage the chaos of larger groups against them.

@Tuoni said in Friendly Fire:

FF is not that good anti-zerging mechanic, because it actually impacts also to smaller groups.

Every soft anti-zerg mechanic is also going to impact smaller groups. The point is that it will affect them less because a small group is far easier to organize than a large group.

In addition, if the alignments are involved, then some groups can still run with huge zergs with no need to worry about friendly fire at all.

Agreed, which is why I think if friendly fire is added, it should also apply to good players on Syndesia and Tartaros.

And if there is no party FF (like Jetah wrote) then it won't stop zergs at all.

Inter-party friendly fire would still be a thing unless there's a really high party limit. I actually think this is the best way to go because large scale battles would sorta break down into party vs party which I think is more interesting than zerg vs zerg.

It indeed adds more necessity for better tactical organization and all @Target said.

And, yes, that only works well if both teams are subject to FF.

If one team would be subject to FF and other team not, that would just be completely game breaking.

@Target said in Friendly Fire:

@Tuoni said in Friendly Fire:

FF is not that good anti-zerging mechanic, because it actually impacts also to smaller groups.

Every soft anti-zerg mechanic is also going to impact smaller groups. The point is that it will affect them less because a small group is far easier to organize than a large group.

In addition, if the alignments are involved, then some groups can still run with huge zergs with no need to worry about friendly fire at all.

Agreed, which is why I think if friendly fire is added, it should also apply to good players on Syndesia and Tartaros.

And if there is no party FF (like Jetah wrote) then it won't stop zergs at all.

Inter-party friendly fire would still be a thing unless there's a really high party limit. I actually think this is the best way to go because large scale battles would sorta break down into party vs party which I think is more interesting than zerg vs zerg.

There are options how to handle zergs without effecting to smaller groups. Zergs could be shown on map, there could be warning texts or maybe even option to hear zergs from distance. I also red about traps which could stop and hurt zergs.

FF hurts small groups less if we measure that with number of players, but in percentages both are hurt about equally. That is why FF is not that effective anti-zerging mechanic.

IF FF is implemented, I would prefer only Tartaros, because Syndesia can be problematic with all alignment and flag rulesets. It might even be impossible to balance well.

What is actually party size in Fractured? 40? 25? X? Imho if you can not hit your party members with friendly fire, then why to implement that at first place? It feels bad even to call it friendly fire in that case. 😆

@Tuoni

4-6 will be party size, iirc.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Target I see, you don't want to have friendly fire to use it, you want to have it to penalize people running around in unorganized zergs. You like to pvp in small groups and don't like those zergs, right?

So you want to add a feature which will annoy most players to have an advantage. Not very nice of you.

If the majority of the people would be penalized by a feature, it should not be added.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured