Skills from monsters

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

in the new dev journal they said: "in the future you’ll be able to learn them by defeating the creatures that have mastered them!"

GW had something similar where you can get unique skills from monsters by killing them and I LOVED it!!!

but I am concerned about a few things...

1. have they scrapped the knowledge system for the just use the kill monster to get X skill system or will it be a combination of both?

2. will this be for ALL skills? or just special skills?

3. if this is for all skills and then presumably players start out with no skills are we just going to be punching monsters to death until we get our first skill?

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

1. Its a part of the knowledge system. https://fracturedmmo.com/feature-spotlight-3-knowledge-system/
    2. refer to link in answer 1.
    3. "The core strengths and weaknesses of your character are set when you create it by choosing its attributes, and don’t change during the course of gameplay: you’re effective and can join complex PvE and PvP scenarios from Day 1." ( you start with skills/abilities)
    4. At the moment, there is no need for concern.

How intriguing.

@Althalus said in Skills from monsters:

if this is for all skills and then presumably players start out with no skills are we just going to be punching monsters to death until we get our first skill?

Apperently we will be able to choose some sort of backstory for a charactere on character creation, which will lead to certain starting skills.

Here is some footage of knowledge system and how you unlock new abilities:

"ABILITY LEARNING
    On Fractured, magical and combat abilities are discovered and learned through a unique process involving exploration, combat, gathering, crafting, and a little bit of waiting time (including offline time).
    "

"STEP #1: DISCOVER & QUEST AROUND
    When you open your Character Abilities window for the first time, almost all the spells listed in each School are in an Unknown state.

When an ability is Unknown, you character doesn’t know anything about it (surprising, eh), including its effect and what are the tasks required to unlock it – you’re only able to catch a glimpse of its icon. How to discover an ability? Just play the game! Travel, fight, gather, craft – whatever you fancy. As soon as you accidentally perform one of the tasks required to unlock an ability, it will switch to Discovered state.

Once an ability is Discovered, you get to know everything about it: what it does, what’s the cost to use it, and – mostly importantly – what are the tasks that have to be performed to be able to start studying it. Some examples of such tasks are:

Find, interact with, or kill specific creatures.
    Kill some specific creatures in a unique way.
    Find, collect or refine some amount of a specific resource.
    Consume X units of a specific item.
    Be hit X times by a specific spell.
    Perform a specific combat action X times.
    Explore one or more world locations.
    Rest in a specific location.
    Craft X units of a specific item.
    Die in a specific way.
    Ability learning tasks never require you to repeat the same action for hours. Instead, they’re designed encourage you to explore and travel – rewarding cleverness and bravery, not time spent grinding

All abilities have a total of 6 tasks associated to them, but it’s enough you complete 2 to turn the ability to Ready To Study – and that’s when the second part of the learning process begins."

@Tuoni said in Skills from monsters:

Find, interact with, or kill specific creatures.
    Kill some specific creatures in a unique way.
    Find, collect or refine some amount of a specific resource.
    Consume X units of a specific item.
    Be hit X times by a specific spell.
    Perform a specific combat action X times.
    Explore one or more world locations.
    Rest in a specific location.
    Craft X units of a specific item.
    Die in a specific way.
    Ability learning tasks never require you to repeat the same action for hours. Instead, they’re designed encourage you to explore and travel – rewarding cleverness and bravery, not time spent grinding.

you know what would be cool? if they randomized X... i.e. every player has to kill/craft different amount of X, with the difference being in a range of maybe 5-15. even Kill specific creature can be different (i.e. for each character you need to kill one type of monster from a list of 5 monsters and it's randomized for each character) that way people can't just look up which monster or how many kills/crafts unlock skills

you know what would be cool? if they randomized X... i.e. every player has to kill/craft different amount of X, with the difference being in a range of maybe 5-15. even Kill specific creature can be different (i.e. for each character you need to kill one type of monster from a list of 5 monsters and it's randomized for each character) that way people can't just look up which monster or how many kills/crafts unlock skills

I also thought about this once, and I like it a lot, but it won´t stop people from writing guides 😂

• This post is deleted!

@Althalus Interesting idea and I like where you goal with that, but it will place players in unequal position, which is a bad thing. Some people will have much more easier access to abilities than others. I am not sure if anyone wants to see that happening. We could see different unlocks with different races though.

@Tuoni said in Skills from monsters:

@Althalus Interesting idea and I like where you goal with that, but it will place players in unequal position, which is a bad thing. Some people will have much more easier access to abilities than others. I am not sure if anyone wants to see that happening. We could see different unlocks with different races though.

I agree it would place some people on a disadvantag, but thats why I am suggesting a reasonable range... if the range is between 1 and 10 and one person has to kill 10 more monsters is it really going to be THAT much more of a disadvantage? same with random mobs, if 1 person has to Kill one type of level 1 mob instead of another type of level 1 mob, is it THAT much of a disadvantage? with minimal disadvantage and for MORE immersion I think it's a reasonable trade off.

@Althalus I guess it can depend. If a beastman for example needs to travel to Tartaros kill certain monsters. Then need to kill multiple creatures can easily be crucial.

And it might not be just one task. Some people can be extremely luckly and get easy progression as whole and some can be really unlucky and stuggle with almost every task. That is why it might be better keep the system equal to everyone and avoid frustrations.

@Tuoni so you'd rather pander to the people who think killing 10 more monsters might be a traumatic experience than to the people who are here because this is a game with new ideas? Sorry but if I wanted to play same care bear hand holding type game then I'd be playing WoW...

@Tuoni so you'd rather pander to the people who think killing 10 more monsters might be a traumatic experience than to the people who are here because this is a game with new ideas? Sorry but if I wanted to play same care bear hand holding type game then I'd be playing WoW...

I already explained how it can be much more than just one task. What is the point to treat players unequally? And I am also a little bit confused what that has do with hand holding or care bearing..?

it would be nice if there were multiple ways to get a skill.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Jetah It sounds like there are multiple ways to get a skill. Each skill has a total of 6 tasks attached to it, but you only need to choose which 2 are right for you in order to study the skill for yourself.

Also, @Althalus , I'm not sure I quite understand your suggestion as being more immersive. That sounds more immersion breaking. If you want there to be difficulty, and not all players have the same experience completing tasks, it should be based on their attributes. For example, when I take a driver's test, I have to complete certain tasks to pass and get a license, allowing me to use the skill Legal Driving. When I complete those tasks, the teacher does not roll a D10 and have me parallel park that many times, or take a freeway ramp that many times. He has a structured test to gauge our qualification.
    Also, the animals matter. If I'm learning how to sprint faster, hunting elk or gazelle would reasonably teach me that. Not hunting fish or birds. It sounds like the knowledge system is already heading in the right direction.

That all being said, such predictability does indeed lend itself to guides, just as much as it lends itself to a player asking an experienced player in game "How do I learn this, Elder?" and the experienced player responding "Ah, gather close and lend me your time, and I shall tell you how I mastered the ways of said creature." This is more immersive to me, and guides aren't going to do as much harm as randomizing the value of effort would.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

@Shadowphoenix I agree. You can't stop guides from happening and you shouldn't really try to. It definitely shouldn't stray you from implementing immersive mechanics. Those who wish to break their own immersion will always find a way. As a dev though, you should consider those who are looking for immersion and provide. Esp since the ones that are immersed are the ones most likely to play the game for an extended period. Instant gratification adepts usually drop out fast. I should know. I'm both 😄

@Shadowphoenix

i'm pretty sure that's once you learn a skill the remaining ranks are shown and give a path to unlock them.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured