Game Mechanics that I encountered in a Webnovel and would like to see incorporated into MMOs (including this one)

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Key mechanics that I liked in Sword God

Skills

• Only basic skills are alloted to the player classes in the start
    • The advanced skills need to be obtained via questing or during adventuring.
    • In all current mmos the skills are already pre assigned to the classes, there isnt any HUNT for the skills. This makes almost all the players having the same class have technically the same skills.

Lifestyle players

• Almost ALL mmos currently have a lot of emphasis on fighting and action oriented combat. Other aspects of MMOs such as Crafting (Weapons, Armor, Potions, Tools) is all but redundant.
    • Having an emphasis on Player crafted items having a significant impact will really help with player based economy
    • Lifestlye players should also have their own class based fighting style AND or some unique bonuses
    • Lifestyle classes can include Crafters(Weapons, Armor), Alchemy (Potions, Scrolls), Engineers (Tools), Tamers (Pets and Mounts), Cook (Food Items)

Combat system

• Another MMO problem is that we are progressing towards hack and slash.
    • A combat system that requires skill to execute would be ideal rather than just smashing your combos or powers
    • Both Mages and Melee could have keyboard combinations or any other mechanic that is easy to pick up but hard to master. (Similar to Kingdom Deliverance or Sekiro)

Dungeon Raid

• 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 Man dungeons which requires skill AND strategy to conquer.
    • The Bosses must have their own ability to wipe out large teams with their AOE and Beserk Skills
    • Dungeon raids can also have ranks (EASY, HARD, HELL modes)

Questing

• Quests should have ranks (common, hidden, legendary, epic etc)
    • Except for the common Quests the other quests should not be repeatable
    • Hidden quests are unlocked when you meet certain prestige requirements (For example: You might need to be a count or baron of an area)
    • Legendary and Epic Quests would have the ability to massively change the region areas. (For Example: Legendary Quest: Demon Invasion would impact all the players. Failing the quest would have a higher penalty that usual)

Death

• Failing higher ranked missions would cause crippling of user stats
    • Death would result in a loss of XP
    • Death inside a dungeon would have a lesser XP loss

PVP

• PVP inside Arenas would help improve skills and would be encouraged
    • PVP outside arena would cause the player would become a red player. Following which guards and NPCs inside a TOWN would attack and arrest said player on sight. This would reduce toxicity in PVP oriented games

PLAYER BASED TOWNS

• Player established towns would have various benefits as well as responsibilities
    • Hiring NPC guards, Seige weapons installation and fortification against PVP or PVE
    • Player Auction houses and stores would sell player based items (Competitive Sandbox Economics)
    • Player bought houses would offer benefits when sleeping (20-30 percent extra XP gain when well rested)

NPC BASED TOWNS

• Depending on Player population can be upgraded when money spent goes above a threshold. This would make a town more prosperous upgrading it from town to city to empire
    • NPC Based Towns can be raided by Players and captured.

These are few of the mechanics outlined in the Webnovel https://www.wuxiaworld.co/Reincarnation-Of-The-Strongest-Sword-God/ . Read about 50-100 chapters to gain more insights on these systems and many more (if you read the entire series). A lot of these systems make a LOT of sense and can make an MMO truly great if implemented in the right way 🙂

If you guys want to create a MMO Manifesto, Regarding all the game mechanics that you want to see in Upcoming MMOs taken from various different Webnovels we can probably make a Github Repository to work on and grow (Please put a +1 here if you'd like to see that happen).
    This will enable future developers to have a template of sorts which they can mix and match, add and update to create MMOs using various mechanics that would make the RPG world a very player driven MMO.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Here is how I see what is the situation in Fractured and how I think how these points should be implemented.

Skills
    Skills (or abilities) will be unlocked via exploring, adventuring and questing.

Lifestyle Players
    It would be nice if all aspects of the game would actually be meaningful and have a good amount of content. Too many times in MMOs, other than combat related stuff are only side activities. In Sandbox games it would be nice if all aspects of game would be important and as equal as possible. So player can be full-time crafter, farmer, merchant, gatherer and still be meaningful part of the world.

Combat System
    Fractured will have skill based combat with good amount of skillshots and taking advantage of the environment.

Dungeons & Raids
    Most of (or maybe even all) dungeons and raids will be in open world and not instanced so the ranking system won't go like you described. So most likely there won't be different ranks like easy, hard, hell.. So dungeons just have one degree of difficulty, but maybe this can be covered with implementing more floors inside the dungeon to raise the danger level.

Questing
    In Fractured, quests are not working like in Themepark games I presume. I know there will be tasks inside abilitites, but not sure how much there will be actual quests. I hope we will see some quests, but nothing like basic fetch, kill or collect. Long meaningful questlines with great rewards at the end would be cool. Also if the players choises could affect to environment like in Ashes of Creation, that would be really nice feature.

Death
    Negative impacts for stats and experience would be absolutly horrible idea. Most of players would hate this kind of system. Having full loot rules upon death will be enough penalizing trust me.

PvP
    This is not in line with Fractured's PvP.

Player based towns
    There will be a lot of this kind of possibilities.

NPC based towns
    I don't know what will be related to this, but.. I think there could be NPC towns for capturing or maybe a town could become NPC town if NPC faction manages to siege it (only in Arboreus because PvP conquers can not happen).

@NiketNaidu said in Game Mechanics that I encountered in a Webnovel and would like to see incorporated into MMOs (including this one):

Combat system

• A combat system that requires skill to execute would be ideal rather than just smashing your combos or powers
    • Both Mages and Melee could have keyboard combinations or any other mechanic that is easy to pick up but hard to master. (Similar to Kingdom Deliverance or Sekiro)

I prefer thought-based skill to twitch-based skill. 🙂 "Slay the Spire" is a recent game I've played with good thought-based combat (deck-building, but hey!).

Death

This is something I -don't- want to see. Punish people for playing, and you'll have fewer people playing.

Generally, I find that loss of gear and map position is punishment enough.

PLAYER BASED TOWNS

• Player established towns would have various benefits as well as responsibilities
    • Hiring NPC guards, Seige weapons installation and fortification against PVP or PVE
    • Player Auction houses and stores would sell player based items (Competitive Sandbox Economics)
    • Player bought houses would offer benefits when sleeping (20-30 percent extra XP gain when well rested)

NPC BASED TOWNS

• Depending on Player population can be upgraded when money spent goes above a threshold. This would make a town more prosperous upgrading it from town to city to empire

I'd rather NPCs were part of player towns, and actually a part of what players build in their own towns. This could give player towns a distinct flavor even when players aren't logged in.

For instance, I'd love to be able to craft dialogue and responses into NPCs I've hired in my town, such that players visiting my town get a unique experience, even if I'm not playing at the moment to greet them.

I'd also want to be able to craft defenses that would be always online, even if I'm not. I don't like offline-raiding; it pushes people away, and is also immersion breaking.

In short, I really don't like player towns/villages being largely empty because people can't be online all the time. Player-crafted NPCs could help.

@Roccandil said in Game Mechanics that I encountered in a Webnovel and would like to see incorporated into MMOs (including this one):
    Player-crafted NPCs could help.

😳 You mean bang bang 》 9 months 》 boom.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Roccandil said in Game Mechanics that I encountered in a Webnovel and would like to see incorporated into MMOs (including this one):

@NiketNaidu said in Game Mechanics that I encountered in a Webnovel and would like to see incorporated into MMOs (including this one):

Combat system

I prefer thought-based skill to twitch-based skill. 🙂 "Slay the Spire" is a recent game I've played with good thought-based combat (deck-building, but hey!).

Death

This is something I -don't- want to see. Punish people for playing, and you'll have fewer people playing.

Generally, I find that loss of gear and map position is punishment enough.

PLAYER BASED TOWNS

NPC BASED TOWNS

I'd rather NPCs were part of player towns, and actually a part of what players build in their own towns. This could give player towns a distinct flavor even when players aren't logged in.

For instance, I'd love to be able to craft dialogue and responses into NPCs I've hired in my town, such that players visiting my town get a unique experience, even if I'm not playing at the moment to greet them.

I'd also want to be able to craft defenses that would be always online, even if I'm not. I don't like offline-raiding; it pushes people away, and is also immersion breaking.

In short, I really don't like player towns/villages being largely empty because people can't be online all the time. Player-crafted NPCs could help.

Player Controlled Towns

Hey, I do like the idea of NPCs being part of player towns. It could also be said that players can hire NPC guards from the various guilds.
    In Player Controlled towns, Yes the defences and fortifications would be always stay online and the defence systems could notify those guild players that their town, city or empire is under attack.

Death

You are right about that. Dropping of loot can be penalized though.

For example. Red Players who kill other players needlessly would have a higher equiment drop rate if they are killed by other players.

This would have a bounty system in place where red players can have various bounties on their head (player driven)

There are some interesting ideas in there, but some seem a little extreme.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Drekkennought said in Game Mechanics that I encountered in a Webnovel and would like to see incorporated into MMOs (including this one):

There are some interesting ideas in there, but some seem a little extreme.

Yeah, These are as per the Webnovel and were explained quite well in the story format.
    The extreme parts are balanced through other mechanics.

If you can list a few mechanics which you found extreme maybe we can discuss them here 🙂

@NiketNaidu So far, according to developer plans, every time you die you always drop ALL your gear, but then it's other players choice if he will wish to steal this gear from your body or not.

When other player kills you (if you were non hostile) other player is tagged as murderer, and if he steals the gear from you he is tagged as thief. Both of those tags bring consequences.

If a player kills you and leaves, leaving the gear on the ground, you can return to your body and re pick your gear from ground.

If a passing by player (that did not kill you) comes and sees your dropped gear on the ground (you still didn't return to your corpse) he can also pick it up, in that case he is not tagged as murdered (because he didn't kill you) but he will still get flagged as a thief (because he took your stuff).

I imagine the same principles will work with mobs as well. If you kill a mob, his corpse will get tagged as your property. Other nearby players (if they are faster then you) will be able to loot "your mob", but in the process get flagged as thieves.

If you want loot from that mob back, you will be able to attack those players that looted "your mob", and you will not get flagged in any way now, because they are flagged as thieves and you have the right to attack them without flagging consequence.

Your karma and flags will affect how certain NPCs will interact with you (good cities / bad cities...).

I quite like this planned system.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Gothix Yes, This is a pretty good system. However a thief tag can be hidden I hope. If I loot a person and I get a thief tag and then the guard NPCs attack me that would be a little unfair since the guards dont know that I am a thief yet (they havent seen me rob anyone).

I guess a bounty system can be set in place, if I loot a set number of players my bounty increases and when im well known in the crowd the guards can attack me on sight.

Yes, This is a pretty good system. However a thief tag can be hidden I hope. If I loot a person and I get a thief tag and then the guard NPCs attack me that would be a little unfair since the guards dont know that I am a thief yet (they havent seen me rob anyone).

Well, if you could just hide your tag it would not make any sense to even have them.
    Wether or not the guards are going to attack you depends on the city. The Governor can set who the guards attack on sight / who they don´t attack, so you can expect to be unable to enter some cities, but be able to enter others while being tagged as Thief / Murderer.

A bounty system also... after you kill someone and you have a very low bounty, so no one knows it, just wait until it runs out and then kill someone again. You would not really suffer from any consequences with something like that.

The way it is planned it depends on other players how you are going to get treated with your Thief / Murderer tag.

However a thief tag can be hidden I hope. If I loot a person and I get a thief tag and then the guard NPCs attack me that would be a little unfair since the guards dont know that I am a thief yet (they havent seen me rob anyone).

"Flagged as a thief: You get this when stealing from a Good or Neutral player. It lasts for 24 real-world hours, and prevents you from choosing a Good Alignment."

"At least, being Evil is not enough to get you fully cast out of society. Guards on Syndesia let you enter towns, for instance, and some NPCs devoted to not-so-legal activities might even take a special interest in you."

I presume thiefs are treated as evils in this kind of situation, so NPC guards would not attack automatically criminal players.

@Eurav said in Game Mechanics that I encountered in a Webnovel and would like to see incorporated into MMOs (including this one):

Wether or not the guards are going to attack you depends on the city. The Governor can set who the guards attack on sight / who they don´t attack, so you can expect to be unable to enter some cities, but be able to enter others while being tagged as Thief / Murderer.

I could not find information about this, but I presume it is related to this:

"Giving orders to the town’s militia (for defense and patrolling purposes)"

Interesting feature and I personally really like, that guards can be given different orders and patrol tasks.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

If we model a real MMO after a Wuxia, then who gets to wear the plot armor? Does playing come with a harem? Do I get to travel back in time to fix my mistakes I make at the launch of the game?

I bet Nie Yan would still wreck anyone in PvP.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured