Max players per server/instance/screen?

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Wowwow! Hold on guys.. Testing with bots is never same as testing with real players. Sure you can make some informative testing, but more like to show some direction. And what it comes to Camelot Unchained, they have worked with own custom engine so they could manage and survive through the huge stress what those planned massive PvP battles will cause.

@Tuoni
    if bots take 2x more resources than a human client and the server can support 500 bots then it can support 1000 players.

without servers/realms i fully expect some type of instancing to load balance the population.

@Jetah said in Max players per server/instance/screen?:

@Tuoni
    if bots take 2x more resources than a human client and the server can support 500 bots then it can support 1000 players.

without servers/realms i fully expect some type of instancing to load balance the population.

If bots would be the solution then MMOs would not have performance problems and they would not need player made stress tests, but they still have both. With bots, I can imagine how you can create some kind of testing environment to stress the server itself. What you can not get with bots is still the real situation where players are all over the world connected from different starting points with different devices and different connections. So games will still need the real user point of views. So it is really important to gather individual player experiences and precise feedbacks, which can not be replaced by using bots. So it does not matter how much resources one bot can take. In addition, I would not give exact resource capacity (x2 human client) to one bot. Bots can scale what it comes to their performances, resources and contents.

Bots only use CPU resources, while players also use net traffic resources, produce server lags etc.

Bots are not sufficient. 😉 Also I doubt devs will waste time developing a special bot AI just to test 200vs200 in alpha 1.

The more likely option is that test will be with less players (how ever many available) and devs will announce specific time events to attempt to get as many players as possible online at specific times to test large scale fights. So you can expect a 50vs50 to 100vs100 tests in Alpha 1.

@Tuoni said in Max players per server/instance/screen?:

@Jetah said in Max players per server/instance/screen?:

@Tuoni

If bots would be the solution then MMOs would not have performance problems and they would not need player made stress tests, but they still have both. With bots, I can imagine how you can create some kind of testing environment to stress the server itself. What you can not get with bots is still the real situation where players are all over the world connected from different starting points with different devices and different connections. So games will still need the real user point of views. So it is really important to gather individual player experiences and precise feedbacks, which can not be replaced by using bots. So it does not matter how much resources one bot can take. In addition, I would not give exact resource capacity (x2 human client) to one bot. Bots can scale what it comes to their performances, resources and contents.

i never said to only use bots though.

@Gothix

CU bots use clients, they can use VPN to route network through the world if they wanted. but I haven't kept up with how the bots work network wise.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured