Which school of magic will you focus?

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

As the topic titles says, which will you pursue? Alteration, divination and enchanting seem pretty interesting to me personally. The schools very much remind me of Baldurs gate and the likes, which is amazing! Looking forward to the amount of variation they say they are implementing, the combinations are endless!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

That's a tough question because some of the schools are more divided by role rather than playstyle. For example, if you want to be a pyromancer, I don't think you're going to be very effective with just Invocation. You're probably going to need fire AOE from conjuration, fire shield from Abjuration, etc. Only the physical schools seem to be clearly defined. (For example, if you want to be a ranger, you'll obviously go into Marksmanship).

Personally, I have a really hard time deciding. I like battlemages, I like healing, and I tend to gravitate towards marksmanship in action RPGs but often get bored because it's often a 1 button spamfest. For Fractured though, I am looking at a few possibilities right now:

1: Assassination + Marksmanship.
    Ranged and stealthy, always a cool combination. Sneaking up to my targets and pinging them from afar, very deadly in PvP aswell. Both schools also appear to have a lot of synergy. Both schools use Dexterity and Perception as their stats, making it very easy to build around. They also both mention poisons, so I wonder if there's synergy there aswell.

2A: Martial Arts.
    Imagine a Beastman storming at people and kicking/punching them to death. Depending on the feel and animation of the abilities, it could feel very feral. Combined with Assassination, it would probably be a pretty lethal combination, and an alternative to stabbing things in the back.

2B: Martial Arts, monk-style.
    Monks. Many games have them. WoW monks, Diablo 3 monks, etc. Martial arts + magic and healing. This sounds like a very fun combination to me aswell, but might require investment in too many different stats to make it work. With Martial Arts focusing on Dexterity and Strength, and the magical schools focusing on Intelligence, that's 3 out of 6 stats that I would need to invest in to make it work. It's probably possible, but I might end up being mediocre in every stat then.

3: Battlemage.
    One of my favorite playstyles is to combine magic and melee into one coherent playstyle. In Fractured's case, I would probably be looking at a combination of Warfare and Conjuration. With any luck, not that much investment into Intellect will be required to make the mage side of the build work. Getting a few Conjuration buffs will probably work out fine. I mean, the one revealed Conjuration ability appears to enchant your weapon with lightning and that looks like it's made for melee.

4: Engineer.
    I love Engineer playstyles. The Engineer was my favorite class in Warhammer Online. Considering the fact that humans are living in a steampunk setting, it will probably be possible to build one. However, since humans are the only ones who can benefit from human technology, I would have to roll a human to be able to play one, and I don't know if I'm willing to do that. It would very much depend on the justice system on Syndesia. If steampunk abilities exist, they can probably be found among Marksmanship (guns) and Conjuration (deployables). As Marksmanship and Conjuration use 4 stats in total, it would probably be a tough build to make though.

5: Full support.
    Depending on the group play, I might end up going with a very support heavy build. The build would focus on Restoration, probably Abjuration and perhaps Divination. As all these schools depend on Intelligence, it will be an easy build to make.

These are the builds I am currently thinking of, but without a full ability list, I can't make a final decision. 😛

@vengu I like your combinations and choices, feel well thought out. I particularly like the monk style, but like you pointed out it would be mediocre at best most likely. Could possibly offset it with one of the schools though? Buffs and so on. Personally I'm on the full support idea too. I kind of want to go the utlity route, helping my guild mates more than being at the front. Just more my style really and everyone wants a support 🙂

Treasure/resource hunting sounds pretty awesome, will try and see if certain magic schools lend well to helping that. You going to be US or EU server side?

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@miffi said in Which school of magic will you focus?:

@vengu I like your combinations and choices, feel well thought out. I particularly like the monk style, but like you pointed out it would be mediocre at best most likely. Could possibly offset it with one of the schools though? Buffs and so on. Personally I'm on the full support idea too. I kind of want to go the utlity route, helping my guild mates more than being at the front. Just more my style really and everyone wants a support 🙂

Treasure/resource hunting sounds pretty awesome, will try and see if certain magic schools lend well to helping that. You going to be US or EU server side?

According to the devs, there will only be one server unless latency gets too bad. https://forum.fracturedmmo.com/topic/83/how-many-server-will-there-be/2

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Why not an assassination-illusionism style ? 😛

@vengu Oh! That would be an interesting one! Would that mean mega server? Will be interesting - if it works that would be my preferred choice of server

@Esher That would be an interesting one, would need 3 main stats which wouldnt be too bad! Can imagine some kind of mind trick would lend very well to a stealthy back-stab!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@miffi said in Which school of magic will you focus?:

@vengu Oh! That would be an interesting one! Would that mean mega server? Will be interesting - if it works that would be my preferred choice of server

@Esher That would be an interesting one, would need 3 main stats which wouldnt be too bad! Can imagine some kind of mind trick would lend very well to a stealthy back-stab!

Most likely yes. SpatialOS makes that possible.

• DymStudios - CEO

@Miffi @Esher @Vengu with the help of stat boosts given by talents and sacrificing some others, you can go high on 3 stats at the same time. More on this and other number stuff in the upcoming 5th spotlight :slight_smile:

@prometheus 😄 Exciting stuff! Looking forward to future spotlights! Your game is the first time in quite a while that has a lot of promise. Good job 🙂

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

Abjuration and probably Divination, but duno mush about such type of magic.

@vorch21 Yeah, both of those a pretty unique 🙂 So thinking more of a supportish role? Divination just sounds really creative to me!

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

There are many combinations that seem amazing and which the result would be pretty awesome. But the moment I saw the Spotlight #4, the first that came to my mind was Warfare + Enchanting.
    Always loved the idea of playing a melee master but being able to manipulate the elements to enchant the weapons making them stronger 😛

@frost Yeah, battle mage style! Very barbaric-esque!

@miffi I think Battlemage is not the right word, enchanting does not use spells, just enchants the weapons/items, but yeah something similar to that ^^

@Frost Ahh, you are correct, still very barbaric-esque! 🙂 I would like to see if playing to one or two schools as opposed to 3-4 is more efficient? Will have to wait and see!

@miffi The more skills you use of the same school the more in sync they will be, which means the bonus will be better, so yeah probably. But I think we will have more info about that in the next spotlight 😛

AoE control mage or support is what i play most of the time so i will try these first

i think there will be nice combinations between the classes
    i hope for some earth magic to create walls and some devasting ground aoe spells to exterminate the captured enemies xD

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

I like glass canon builds so Assassin sounds fun 😜

• Monk-martial arts. I think that is the play style I've enjoyed most in most mmo's I've played.

• TF#2 - MESSENGER

I belive that Marksmanship with some sub skills of martial arts could really hurt.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured