Looting? Pickpocketing? Or Lock picking & Burglary

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Gothix said in Looting? Pickpocketing? Or Lock picking & Burglary:

Progression is still progression, regardless of what type it is, older character will always be more versatile / efficient than fresh character.

There isn't any sense in claiming otherwise. 🙂

The point of horizontal progression, though, is that power gap between old character and fresh character will not be as large as it would be in vertically progressed game.

No levels, equal base character stats, and limited skill slots in skill bar, will still give a full fresh character, chance against old character, because playing skill will play a significant role here.

In vertically progressed MMO, fresh character would not even have a chance regardless of playing skill.

Of course, we are talking about fresh characters here, not fresh players. Fresh players will obviously still have much to learn, so from that fact alone, they will be behind old players, that already learned many tricks.

However, if old, experienced player, creates a fresh alt, he may very well beat many other players (that are using progressed avatars) with his own freshly made alt, purely through his playing skills, and experience.

The above would not be possible in vertically progressed MMO.

Horizontal progression is progression as well but it is less interesting when compared to vertical progression. Also you have to remember that there is not just these two extremes, vertical and horizontal, and there can be any kind of balance between these two. Having a 100% horizontal can be boring as hell less tempting and having 100% vertical will create too much power gap between players. However, having ~ 75% horizontal and ~ 25% vertical progression could be a lot of better already. Creating just small power gaps between players (nothing overpowered), keep the main focus on horizontal, but still offer calm vertical progression so players have more interesting and meaningfull goals to achieve. In addition, horizontal progression is not just a character progression thing because it can have negative impact for crafting, markets and loots as well. Vertical progression offers more longevity because in general it appeals more on people than horizontal.

@humerus said in Looting? Pickpocketing? Or Lock picking & Burglary:

(...)Let's say I'm transporting a bunch of our hypothetical items from Arb to Tar and get PKed and robbed half way through(...)

There is no 'half way through'. You are not 'walking' from 'Arb to Tar', you gather a large amount of ingredients (which means it is not going to happen often and is likely a group effort), then you summon a portal with these ingredients and you are there. You can't get killed half way, you are either on Arb, or on Tar. The limiting factor is how often people summon a portal to get to the other planet and how much they can carry while doing so.

• Wiki Editor

@Logain I'll take your word for it and, well, I'm completely lost now.
    Guess my best bet is to shut up and wait for more dev info drops on the topic 😄
    Thanks for clearing things up 😉

I'm not quite sure where those portal locations will be (there might have been info that i missed, or no info yet).

Outgoing portal locations might be chosen at random, so those spots can't be camped, awaiting for someone open up the portal on another side and come through with goods. so a random "exit" spots would make sense.

There from those "portal exit spots" to the town where you are going is still going to be some travel time, where you actually risk your goods. Because I'm quite sure portal will not lead you directly to town, because that also wouldn't make sense. 🙂

There needs to be some travelling risk, when going to another planet.

@humerus said in Looting? Pickpocketing? Or Lock picking & Burglary:

(...)I'm completely lost now.
    Guess my best bet is to shut up and wait(...)

I didn't intend to confuse you, but if you can tell me where exactly I wasn't making myself clear, maybe I could try and rephrase what I said?

I'm going to try and use an example (no offense intended with the names!):

humerous - Beastman has plenty of wood, but wants iron and clay
    Gothix - Human has plenty of clay, but wants wood and iron
    Logain - Demon has plenty of iron, but wants wood and clay

Gothix wants to make some money, he and his guild spend one week to collect all the required items to create a temporary portal leading from the Human planet to the Beastman planet. Now they can send a certain amount of people (let's say 50) over there including what they can carry (which isn't much). They all pack themselves with clay, because they know it can't be found on the Beastman planet. They sell the clay (or get killed), the clay is used to create some special armor/weapon that helps Beastman fight against the evil Ice Golem, which is very difficult with armor/weapons made out of wood. But the items only last a specific time (fighting with weapon/armor makes them break after a while). Let's say it takes a week for the items to break. Let's say 50 Humans could carry enough clay to produce 100 'clay sets', so you had 100 Beastman with that special set, but after that week, Gothix would have to come back and deliver more clay. But since it took their guild a week to collect the items to create the portal, he's not willing to do it that often. And clay stays a rather rare item on the Beastman planet.

Does that make any sense to you?

• Wiki Editor

@Logain I might have phrased it incorrectly.
    I am confused on how it will actually work and what effects having medium-rare resources unique to every planet will have on the economy. We have incomplete knowledge and just guessing a lot of stuff so that's why I said that my best bet is to wait for more details from devs ':D
    Thanks for the explanation anyway though, it's prime quality 💯 haha

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured