Conjuration with Summoning Circles

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

I was wondering how the creature summoning for the conjuration skill would work. I think it would be pretty cool to have to maybe make a summoning circle and bind creatures to use them in battle. I feel like this is more interesting than the conventional spell to summon creatures. You could have different summoning circles needed for different levels of creatures, and maybe you could also have a chance of the summoned being escaping and starting attacking things.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I don't think we've heard anything about how summoning skills will work yet or really any of the skills. We can make reasonable assumptions about most of them.

They have mentioned that portals will require a ritual which may be like your summoning circle. I'm not sure if that would extend to summoning creatures. The creatures may be more like summon x creature for 15 sec type of skill.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Not sure if summoning circles are convenient. Just imagine getting surprised attacked by another player and you will have to prepare a summoning circle 1st before you can summon creatures. You'd be dead before you can summon anything.

And to be honest, I'm more a fan of temporary summoned creatures, compared to permanent pets of tamed animals.
    Magic degrades over time and so does the power to be able to manifest/control the summoned creature.
    Maybe an idea to be able to "overcharge" the summoning spell (by casting the summon creature spell again or something) in order to have the summoned creature stay longer, but at a risk of it going rogue and attack anything at random for the remainder of it's duration.

• TF#9 - FIRST AMBASSADOR

@evolgrinz said in Conjuration with Summoning Circles:

Not sure if summoning circles are convenient. Just imagine getting surprised attacked by another player and you will have to prepare a summoning circle 1st before you can summon creatures. You'd be dead before you can summon anything.

And to be honest, I'm more a fan of temporary summoned creatures, compared to permanent pets of tamed animals.
    Magic degrades over time and so does the power to be able to manifest/control the summoned creature.
    Maybe an idea to be able to "overcharge" the summoning spell (by casting the summon creature spell again or something) in order to have the summoned creature stay longer, but at a risk of it going rogue and attack anything at random for the remainder of it's duration.

A fan of Shadowrun's versions of Summoning, hm? interesting choice (has bad memories of berserk Spirits)

how about this, as a compromise - summon duration is tied to circle longevity - slap down a chalk circle in a turn, you've got a summons for a minute. build a stone one, and it's yours as long as you like - trick 1, you can only activate 1 circle at a time. trick 2 - stone circles are too heavy to move. So, you can activate a circle were ever, but if you aren't at the circle, good luck waiting for the summons to come find you. Gives a summoner a reliable partner, but also means they have to depend on temporaries until they get back home, if something goes wrong.

personally, I assume a summon circle, if they use them at all, are just going to be flashy graphic things that summons come out of - an animated nicety without much actual meaning. Lore-wise, they matter, but game-play-wise, they aren't any different than bringing a skelie or a dresser to life to pound an enemy

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured