Inscriptive Magic

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

I recently remembered an anime, World Break, where the spells were writing in the air by the hand and finger. I've wanted to see this style of animation in a video game instead of the bland cast bar. Here are two examples. Note there's one I'm looking for where the guy writes a book, it's close to 50 lines that stretches into the sky even though he's floating.

https://i.imgur.com/lCmcjnJ.gif | https://i.imgur.com/dwevUQB.gif

For Fractured it could more siege spells than normal combat. Or it could be bigger spells like Megumin's explosion magic.
    The animation would have to match the spell cast length.

Only problems I can see is if a spells cast length is adjusted. IE reduced from 10s to 8s, the animation would have to be adjusted too.

There's another anime, Hitori no Shita, where the words are written in the air but they seem to be pre-scribed like a talisman image 1 | image 2. This might be a better system to animate because the movement can be changed if the spell duration is changed.

It'd be pretty neat if a few spells from each school were animated in an inscriptive format.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

I think it would be really cool to have influential magic like this in the game. To have someone sit back and them become a beacon of death but the team could rush and kill them or get ready to face the consequence. Though I think that people will definitely be a little butt hurt if it became too good or powerful. Usually AOE in games like this are strong because they are hard to dodge as effectively.

Amazing idea!

@jetah It will be VERY DANGEROUS. Fractured forces us to constantly be in motion, and the slightest delay can lead to death. Yes your idea is definitely beautiful but only for a game where there is only magic and not mixed fights. The game has a lot of skills that will allow the enemy to quickly approach you. You of course can avoid getting damage by canceling the castes of the spell, but then it will go to the CD and you will miss a good moment to attack.

@muker
    with a long time to kill a small stop wont mean death. the game isn't a moba where 1 skill can kill you.

@jetah But if you are overtaken by a control spell, you will not be able to escape and become an easy target.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

From my memories of Arx Fatalis and Black and White, this is one of those ideas that could be great in principle but become unusably bad when trying to use a mouse to cast something quickly.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

The biggest problem might be, that the camera mode of Fractured is not optimal for an idea like yours. To see the animation better, it should go to first person mode, I don't know if they want to implement it.

Nevertheless, I like your Idea @Jetah πŸ™‚ It would also be much nicer for the spells than just to wait until it is casted. πŸ™‚ Let's see if @Prometheus or the other developers are thinking about this πŸ™‚

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@jetah in Age of Conan all magic based classes could do "spellweaving" wich seem to work the same as you descibe, but different animation. It locks your position as soon as you start the animation. It had several stages with increasingly strong buffs and debuffs. It was a common sight in sieges, open world pvp and raids. So it could defenatly work. Video below:

Priest of Mithra:

Demonologist:

Necromancer:

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@muker see my previous post to Jetah. It could easily work. Watch the youtube video's. We had whole groups of casters doing that in sieges.

Would it really be that cool if it replaced like flaming hands conjuring a fireball or lightning coursing over a whole mages body? As a demon, if I saw some scrub writing words in the air I wouldn't even flinch.

@alcriblp said in Inscriptive Magic:

The biggest problem might be, that the camera mode of Fractured is not optimal for an idea like yours. To see the animation better, it should go to first person mode, I don't know if they want to implement it.

Nevertheless, I like your Idea @Jetah πŸ™‚ It would also be much nicer for the spells than just to wait until it is casted. πŸ™‚ Let's see if @Prometheus or the other developers are thinking about this πŸ™‚

it depends on where the character model is facing when casting a spell. it could be away from the camera or toward the bottom of the screen. Depending on the complexity of the spell it could scroll higher than the character model.

@Benseine
    THAT [the Priest of Mithra video] would be great for keep or city captures!

@Zidroc
    that's the thing, it could be a big spell depending on how many lines there are. so you might not flinch for a few letters or a sentence but if someone managed to get to line 15 then you'd know something big is coming!

Copyright Β© 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured