Knowledge

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

The knowledge system in fractured is great, unless you can't manage to kill the thing, or don't want to kill the thing.
    Perhaps there could be a way of gaining knowledge of a creature without killing it? time spent within range of it perhaps? this would still be difficult, but knowledge of a creature shouldn't be gained only by killing it. perhaps two types of knowledge? knowledge of its habits while its alive, and deeper knowledge gained through autopsy. this would allow for a sort of hunter build, that studies the creatures stealthily to find its weakness and then studies its body to understand its nature. There might be something planned to do with the charisma tree?

My main concern over this is that there was mention somewhere of a 'learning' system for monsters/creatures, where a players actions towards creatures would alter the creatures reactions to the player: peaceful actions cause them to be less aggressive over time, and vice-versa.

I want to have a character that is very knowledgeable about the creatures and plants, but I feel it wouldn't be very 'at-one-with-nature' to go around slaughtering them for the knowledge.

• TF#6 - DIPLOMAT

I'd be surprised if there isn't something like this planned, at least in part. I say that based on the karma system that says that as a good aligned player, killing a "good" creature will result in a karma loss. I assume those creatures also offer knowledge. Seems like they wouldn't force someone to take a hit in karma in order to gain knowledge, but... maybe?

That sounds like it could potentially be 'abused'. All you need is a good stealth equipment and some stealth talent points and you can basically unlock all other skills without any effort.

I'm not against roleplaying 'at one with nature', actually I am in favor of that, but I'm not sure that would be a good idea balance wise.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

i think the idea is coll, let us sac 33% Knowledge from killing 34-67% watching your traget to see its natural behavior and 68 - 100% by carry ing its corpse away and make an autopsy (to carry stops despawn, despawn will restart wenn you lay copse on ground again)

the autosy youn have an 2x Knowledge gain when doin it at homee or basic knwoledge in field, while boss monsters are to big to be carryd away

@Logain true, but considering that Fractured is not supposed to be about grinding, and not everyone, myself included, is interested in grinding even if it were possible, I imagine most players would prefer grinding by killing things, than by crouching in the shadows.
    One of the other considerations is that of support builds; the healers and 'buff' mages, do they still get knowledge if they don't even damage the creature?

Perhaps there might be pertinent knowledge; in that knowledge gained from combat grants combat bonuses against that creature, while knowledge from peaceful interaction might affect 'beast master' style interaction. though I'm not sure how that would relate to using the body parts for crafting...

• 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

@Mirgannel12

The devs actually lied about the no-grinding part. There will be lots and lots of grinding involved. They have already set all the ground work to show us just how much grinding there actually will be.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Grind is very subjective. I define it as doing something many times you don't want to do to achieve something unrelated to the task.

Grind Example: Kill 1000 orcs to level up to get the next armor crafting tier. The journey didn't drop crafting materials, and you don't care about killing orcs.

Maybe not Grind: Kill 1000 orcs to raise your faction with these NPCs that hate orcs. You wrote your backstory that you hate orcs and you really want the highest ranking with this faction.

There is a fine line to walk between offering reward for time spent to make the achievement worth it and arbitrarily inflating the requirements to the point of not being fun. Everyone draws this line in a different spot.

If you want to understand the wolf, you must study it. If it has an ability you want to learn, you must interact with it, and possibly kill it in multiple ways. The reward is you get the skill at the end. The fighting rewards the skill. The journey makes sense. This should help reduce the feeling of the grind as the journey matches the reward.

It is also said that you will only need to do a fraction of the progress to unlock the skills the creature has. At that point the skill is competitive if you want to use the skill. To level it up past tier 1 requires more investment, but the bonuses will be minor improvements.

steath prevents learning. that change could be enough to make it a risk vs reward.

but honestly why are you playing a [pvp] game and dont want to kill stuff?

@Mirgannel12 said in Knowledge:

(...)I imagine most players would prefer grinding by killing things, than by crouching in the shadows(...)

I dare to disagree. I think a good amount of people want to 'reach endgame' as fast as possible with as little effort as possible.

@Jetah said in Knowledge:

steath prevents learning(...)

You'd start seeing people selling 'tours', where they go and distract/kill creatures and a dozen others just idle around.

• @Logain said in Knowledge:

That sounds like it could potentially be 'abused'. All you need is a good stealth equipment and some stealth talent points and you can basically unlock all other skills without any effort.

I'm not against roleplaying 'at one with nature', actually I am in favor of that, but I'm not sure that would be a good idea balance wise.

It would 100% insure that several different types of simple macros that ran way points would be everywhere at release. I'm sure everyone knows that an arms race is alreaday going on with several groups concerning macros to keep their resources flowing 24/7. Such an easy system to gain KP and/or abilities from mobs would place even higher value on those macros. Add in another set of possible abilities via a new group (secondary skills able to learn/increase) and I know several game geeks that will be ecstatic over it because they know who the players are that they've seen from one game to another that will drop a few grand without a second thought to have that prog for them and a select group of their guildies only. And by the time they were found out they would already have basically weeks, probable months, and even possible a couple of years.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured