Your favorite Dailies, or what you would like to see them as.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Gothix said in Your favorite Dailies, or what you would like to see them as.:

"Daily" imho. for most players means a quest that you do 1 time per day, that has cool down of 24 hours.

"Daily quests (popularly nicknamed dailies) are repeatable quests that can be acquired and completed once per day. These quests have significantly better rewards than other repeatable quests. Daily quests come in many different flavors, and many are for reputation, professions, seasonal events, and pet battles. Daily quests are denoted by blue exclamation marks and question marks (AvailabledailyActivedaily) appearing over the quest giver's head, as compared to regular quests, which have yellow marks (AvailablequestActivequest)."

Reference: wow.gamepedia

This is one of the reasons why word dailies is problematic. It is really vague notion and it can be understood wrong.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@FibS said in Your favorite Dailies, or what you would like to see them as.:

@Whisper

[...] even if there was a governing body that said, "A game must use an NPC or narrator for a mechanic to constitute a quest otherwise it is not a quest even if mechanically it is functioning exactly like one".

This is the de facto standard use of the term "quest" in an RPG setting. If you don't activate it through some trigger entity - at the very least, activating with an announcement when you walk into an area and something questy is obviously present - then it's not called a quest.

Achievements, for instance, are effectively quests that are already "taken" at the start of the game, and can be completed as soon as their objectives are encountered. They are never called quests in standard parlance, even though literally the only difference is you never talked to an NPC to start it.

It wouldn't change the argument being made here [...] Fractured has content that happens daily.

Every online game in the world has repetitive content. Most entire games can be considered a daily / weekly / etc. Most entire games could be considered a quest, too ("get to the maximum level" etc. etc.)

But that would just be silly, so for the sake of cohesion, the only content generally counted as dailies and quests (and daily quests) are formalized checklists that are presented as such.

The following daily / weekly concepts are usually not counted when people talk about dailies / weeklies / et al:

• paying insurance or maintenance for house claims, guild taxes, etc.
    • regular bidding for contested things (like market spots in ESO)
    • resting XP
    • seasons / leagues / monthly PVP brackets
    • daily or otherwise restocking purchase offers

Can you link that dictionary you used earlier? I googled it, parts of it, just the name and nothing comes up.

For the sake of argument, since it is not the point, lets just call them Dailies then like the title suggest. No one here has suggested, "Let's tie to to an NPC that says, "Daily Quest here!". In fact we have said the opposite. Many times. The best dailies are integrated into the game.

Fractured has content that is tied to a 24 hour timer. That is a daily. I never played an entire game where each thing you do is tied to a 24 hour timer. Kill a bunny gone for 24 hours. Never seen that. Use a resource gone for 24 hours. Turn in a resource don't get the reward for 24 hours.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

If we are arguing semantics and also bringing RL in... 🙂

Then "daily" just means something that you do every day, and it in no way has any cool down tied to that activity.

You eat daily, but there is no cool down, so you can eat as much as often as you want (that not being healthy is another issue). 🙂

If one simply wants to convert a world to be used in a field (like gaming) than you have to consider what that word means for the "most" individuals in this field (in this case players).

"Daily" imho. for most players means a quest that you do 1 time per day, that has cool down of 24 hours.

I don't think I have ever eaten and been told I have to wait 24 hours for the next day to eat. Eating could be an hourly endeavor. Or activity you do every minute.

If a Tree has a 24 hour timer-Daily.
    If leather has a 24 hour timer-Daily.
    If farming has a 24 hour timer-Daily.

Activities that you simply do every day in game, "most" players do not call dailies. When you hear daily, in your mind is something else.

I agree with you on this when it comes to leveling. But once it comes to Endgame where you played all the content you want and have a daily routine you still must do those things would still count as daily to me (This is subjective, and you may have a different opinion but neither of us can really be right or wrong on this).

For example since we are using real life. I have a daily jog/run I do. Could I run all day, or several times a day? Yes. But do I? No. I run once. Daily.

Ah I would also like to connect to that example with leather. 🙂

Sure tanning leather can have 24h timer, until it's complete. But... you can tan 1 leather, 2 leathers, 15 leathers in paralel.

So if you didn't tan 2 leathers today, you can tan extra 2 tomorrow, and you didn't miss a thing. 😉

If you however miss doing "daily quest" today, you can't simply do the double job tomorrow, you missed that reward forever.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

Ah I would also like to connect to that example with leather. 🙂

Sure tanning leather can have 24h timer, until it's complete. But... you can tan 1 leather, 2 leathers, 15 leathers in paralel.

So if you didn't tan 2 leathers today, you can tan extra 2 tomorrow, and you didn't miss a thing. 😉

If you however miss doing "daily quest" today, you can't simply do the double job tomorrow, you missed that reward forever.

Your example can illustrate my point I believe. Sure you can decide to just tan 1 leather. Or 15. There are plenty of dailies that allow you to do it once or multiple times a day in that regard as well.

But you are limited on how many leathers you can tan. For example. Say I had 15 tanning tubs. If I missed a day I can't "Just do double the job tomorrow". Not unless I had room for 15 more tanning tubs and wanted to take the time to create them. Which could take awhile since Tree's have a long timer as well. If I missed two days I couldn't just do triple the leather. At that point I would need 45 tanning tubs and my whole claim would have to basically be just tanning tubs.

Missing a day on a event that is daily is the same as missing the reward on a daily quest. In both situations you don't put in the time and you don't get the reward. In regards to daily quest the limit is sometimes imposed on you (WoW use to have a daily quest limit you could do) or in the case of a daily event it is based on how many tanning tubs you are willing to build/keep in your territory. There is a hard cap to this number.

I tried to ponder something positive related to daily activities without making any difference between them. So if I answer to the original question what is my favourite daily, I guess the answer is still that there ain't one, however, I have something else in my mind. I have a long experience history from MMORPGs and I have seen a lot of different kind of daily activities, dailies or daily quests in use. Furthermore, I have done some research related to cultural history of digital gaming and I have collide to several articles and forum post where players are unhappy with daily activities (especially daily quests) and how those slowly kills the fun from the playing. So I base my arguments for these reasons. Even I do not have a personal favorite daily activity or daily quest I would say that the best ones are those which are necessary from economical point of view or those which are needed to pace the character progression, e.g. farming and crafting.

I suggest developers (in general) to use any daily activities or daily quests as less as possible, just use those which are necessary, and focus to polish the actual content and offer players a wide range of different activities to play with. People will login daily basis without a massive number of hooks if they just like the game and they have enough appealing things to do. Okay, lets put that aside and lets move on the actual suggestions.

When using daily timers I want the developers to really consider the precise time what should be used. This of course varies depending of the situation but I will use Albion Online's farming system as an example. I remember how growing crops was first set on 24h timer from the point when you put the seed on the ground. This lead to a problem that every day your farming activity went later unless you totally missed one day. I presume this caused a good amount of negative feedback from players and at the moment the timer is set to 22h, and that really feels a good change because it gives players a little leeway.

In my opinion weekly and monthly login bonuses are a much better hooks than dailies. Those gives players more freedom to plan and choose when they want to play and those are not getting boring as fast as daily login hooks. When I recently went back to Albion I instantly noticed that there was a daily, weekly and monthly rewards based on the players activities. The daily bonus is negligible and a totally whatever if you get that or not. However, those weekly and monthly chests contain significant rewards of items and money. The beauty of this system is that you can collect fame (exp) from any activity of the game and all those will account. So you can e.g. farm, craft, gather, refine, run dungeons or kill other players, and everytime you collect fame to those pools. It also seams that the limits are set quite easily achieveable so it surely encourages all players to play the game but it does not limit you anyway and you can do what ever you want to and still get the reward. This is a really good system and I do not have anything negative to say about it, at least at the moment.

I guess Albion is a good example because it is a very similar game and if I remember right the developers in Dynamight Studios are mentioned Albion as one of their paragons. So I guess it would be smart to follow which kind of improvements SBI does and at least try to avoid to make same mistakes. @Whisper I hope this post gives more to your original question or at least it is best what you can get from a player who has tired to run in daily rat race. 🙂

In general, I would say that I personally dislike "activity timers" all together.

However, cool downs on professions are not so bad, because I can always do other things to get gold, and then spend gold to buy leather that I didn't get by tanning. There is always other options.

Daily quest rewards are usually soul bound in MMOs, and if you missed it you missed it. You wasn't able to purchase it or get it in any other way.

Now... IF daily quest rewards were something that wasn't soul bound, and there is economy tied to it, and you can do something else, and just buy "daily rewards" on the market, then it wouldn't be that bad.

But this mostly wasn't the case in MMOs, and this is why when players hear "daily quests" red lights turn on everywhere.
    Which is not the case with profession cool downs for the before mentioned reasons. 🙂

However, cool downs on professions are not so bad, because I can always do other things to get gold, and then spend gold to buy leather that I didn't get by tanning. There is always other options.

This is very important and one of my favorite features in sandbox MMOs. This is not of course only a matter of cooldowns and this concerns every activity in the game. Players can focus on activities they want to and make money that way. There is no need everyone to do everything (unless they want to) and they can focus just on few things and buy rest of the stuff with money they earned from their specializations.

Daily quest rewards are usually soul bound in MMOs..

Oh yeah, a good point.

...IF daily quest rewards were something that wasn't soul bound...

This would make those better or at least suit better in sandbox theme.

@Whisper

no game should encourage daily log ins. playing the game should be optional, not a requirement.

daily quest:
    child: mom i'm bored
    Mom: go brush your teeth
    child: still bored
    Mom: clean your room

those are quest. you ask for something to do and it's given to you.

Daily content
    you, brush your teeth, clean your room, do w/e part of dishes, mop, dust, etc.

You dont have to ask for those as it's just something you do.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

@Jetah said in Your favorite Dailies, or what you would like to see them as.:

@Whisper

no game should encourage daily log ins. playing the game should be optional, not a requirement.

daily quest:
    child: mom i'm bored
    Mom: go brush your teeth
    child: still bored
    Mom: clean your room

those are quest. you ask for something to do and it's given to you.

Daily content
    you, brush your teeth, clean your room, do w/e part of dishes, mop, dust, etc.

You dont have to ask for those as it's just something you do.

Both examples given the content is optional and not required. Think someone hit it on the head earlier saying it is a psychological issue.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

I guess the governors will be able to create daily quests. I dislike the idea of daily quests and any idea of questing in general.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured