Don't Ask Me Why....

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

But for some reason, reading the latest news, I was reminded of Pop Tart botes [sic] at the Jungle Cruise, where I worked for 5 years. California Disneyland, for clarification. In the hippo pool, that's where you shoot the gun. But when I was first told about Pop Tart botes, my friend told me what he would do. Pop Tart botes are when none of the guests speak English. Usually, it's because it's a group of 40 or so Japanese tourists and they don't speak English either very well, or at all. Start of the cruise, you would ask how many of you understand English? No hands go up. At that point, you can say anything you like, and then laugh at your own jokes, and they will all laugh, because they think they are supposed to.

So my friend said he would just say the most random of things for Pop Tart botes. In the hippo pool, he would say These are hippos. That's short for hippopotamus. Hippos like cheese HA HA HA HA HA. Then the bote would all laugh.

So when my wife and I went to Hong Kong Disneyland (I lived with her in Hong Kong for about a year, almost all of 2017 and the beginning of 2018), the Jungle Cruise there has 3 lines. Cantonese (what Chinese in Hong Kong speak), Mandarin (what mainland Chinese people speak), and English (what random leftover Brits and people like me speak). The English line was the shortest and the longest at the same time. They would only usually have one English bote on the river at a time, so even though the line didn't have many actual people, it took the longest because the longer lines would fill 2 or 3 times faster since the other (5) botes would be Cantonese and Mandarin. 3/2 I'm assuming. My wife is Indonesian, and English is her 4th language, so it's not perfect. But she speaks fluent Cantonese. So one day, I decided that I would be the Pop Tart. We stood in line in the Cantonese line, knowing that she would understand all of it and I would understand zero of it. Here is my chance.

I did all the things that the Pop Tarts used to do. I would stand up to take pictures. The Skipper would yell at me to sit down and I would then NOT sit down, because I could just claim I didn't know what the Skipper was saying. I stood up. I leaned out of the bote. I more or less tormented the Skipper who didn't speak much English who was spieling in Cantonese. That was the plan.

The Skipper spoke passable English, so switched to English to tell me to sit down. I still acted like I was a Pop Tart, but it wasn't as much fun as I had hoped, because instead of yelling at me to sit down in Cantonese, it was in English, so I understood it.

Anyway, don't ask me why I thought of all this.

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Ah you may need to get some sleep... or professional help...

That was a long story with no point, but I enjoyed it thanks

Pop tart lol

• I'd never heard that term before and now I can't unhear it, so... next time I go on the Jungle Boat Cruise...

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Gibbx said in Don't Ask Me Why....:

Ah you may need to get some sleep... or professional help...

I can neither confirm nor deny nor discuss my lack of sleep and/or status of professional help.

Wait, does eating at a nice restaurant count as getting professional help? I mean, they are getting paid to cook the food, so that makes them professionals. They feed me, so they help me rid myself of hunger. JS.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@Xzoviac You're more than welcome. It's like I tell people, I used to get paid to tell jokes. True story! (and then the usual response is, "So you starved?")

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

@riverwolf It's actually considered a derogatory term and management frowns on its use. ... That didn't stop us....

That's 2 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

im confused^^

@Stacy555 Its ok you weren't doing anything important with them anyway 😉

@Gibbx said in Don't Ask Me Why....:

@Stacy555 Its ok you weren't doing anything important with them anyway 😉

I'll have you know I was playing World of Tanks !!!!,
    Oh ok I see your point !!!

@Stacy555 My apologies I stand corrected 🙂