Offensive/Defensive Raiding Mechanics

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Each game offers a set "standard" for raiding mechanics and sometimes add little twists to set their game apart from others. What raiding mechanics (i.e. Destructible Walls, Wall Scaling/Climbing, Oil/Rock Falls, Tripwires, etc.) would you like to see implemented, and which ones should be removed/avoided? What are the Pros and Cons of the mechanics you would like added?

In some other games that enable destructible walls, they allow player damage to do damage to brick walls. I personally think it should be limited to specific equipment that attackers bring along, otherwise you can just have mob rushes plowing their way over defenses without any strategic planning. Maybe if the wall was made of wood, then I could understand players being able to break through. As for climbing over walls, that could be a viable alternative as long as there could be a difficult mechanic to scaling the walls so no one just flies up and over the defenses too fast.

What it comes for PvP sieges and conquers, I would like to see siege weapons at both sides, which are of course player crafted and player controlled. Maybe both sides could capture and hold some tactical points to get some benefits as well. Because taking advantage of environment will be a thing in Fractured, I would also like to see possibility to spread oil on the battleground and/or over players, and then set them on fire for example. Maybe even crafters or players who don't want to participate so much for fighting could build or repair walls and siege weapons, and help that way.

@Tuoni What would you consider tactical points? Will it just be king of the hill or capture the flag? Or did you have in mind something like destruction of medical facilities, confiscation/destruction of supplies, poisoning of food, immolation of housing?

I was thinking that those tactical points/objectives should have some kind of theme and different meaning and not just capture flag. I guess something like you mentioned or barracks, guard towers, warehouses and things like that. There could be somekind of reward (buff or debuff) when you capture a tactical objective. Medical facility may give controllers slight HP regeneration bonus just for an example. Important part is that those buffs and debuffs makes sense from objective point of view.

I'm all for environment destruction in raiding mechanics. It gives a sense of reality when raiding. Also, in reference to "taking" a city/town, it involves a lot of planning. If you decide to take a town, how much of it are you going to destroy? You have to consider rebuilding after the siege and if you have just thrown up your hands and yelled YEEHAW, you may be going backwards after the conquest.

Planning should be a big part of the mystery. Can you take this town with some sort of a "silent coup", how much force do you need, what intel have you gathered, etc. all seems to be a viable style of play. There is always room for a good old fashioned war, but having options is good.

Trojan horse.

On top there would be a gallon of @Kralith 's Shrooffee... and inside, well... a surprise party! 😄

On a serious side:
    I would like to see wall climbing, by using some accessories, and wall fights, and if invading party manages to come on other side, they have a chance to open the gate from the inside (which would be a quicker alternative then trying to destroy the gate).

Also... human catapults.... definitely human catapults!

If it were my game, I'd consider the following:

• Defenses requiring a great deal of time/effort to make should not be easily breached;
    • People cannot be indefinitely online to defend their base; this should be accounted for in some way, perhaps by allowing automated defenses to take over for logged-off citizens (each toon logged-off in the town adds to the defense);
    • Logistics should be a significant obstacle to offensive actions (cross-planetary attacks being an excellent example, and it sounds like Fractured may have this covered already).

In short, it should not be easy to destroy or conquer bases; that's an effective way to lose population. (Also, there's a reason sieges were so popular in RL; it's hard and costly to assault a fortified city.)

@Roccandil
    games usually have siege time windows so that the defense can coop. If it's Eve Online then they don't have that, siege all you want when you want 😄

Can you build motes? I want a mote.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured