Marketing as important part of early development

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@Logain said in Marketing as important part of early development:

@Tuoni said in Marketing as important part of early development:

(...)So you decided to take one sentence out of the context and then refer for that? Here is the whole piece, it explains a little bit better what illustrate fundamental mechanics actually means in this situation(...)

No, I am not taking it out of context. It is a conditional statement (and one that makes sense) that puts everything stated afterwards into a certain perspective.

Yes you did and I already proof it. You wanted to leave the rest out so it would look better with your argument. Now the rest of the piece negates your claim.

If you are sure that was you're developing makes it into the final version of the game, sure go ahead and share it.

Fractured already shared their vision almost 2 years a go and started a kickstarter campaign almost a year a go. From Dynamight Studios point of view they are sure about their product. So what is the problem here?

@Jetah said in Marketing as important part of early development:

what happens if DS doesn't have the game ready for 2021? what if it's more like 2022? if they advertise '21 and cant do it then many people will leave for other games. they've lost them; some for good, some may come back.

You know what, they have already advertised 2021, so it is not a IF anymore. So with your logic if launch delays to 2022 DS has lost us on top of them too. Moreover, if game development stretch and there will be delay for launch, that does not automatically mean lost of players. It is more like a rule rather than exception, that MMORPGs development will delay from what they have planned at first place. Many people also acknowledge this point, because they understand how massive is the work when developing MMORPG and how the developers will encounter unexpected issues. As long as developers are open and honest with the reasons of delays, then most of people will truly understand. If you loose trust of the current fan base by involving some shady business' and you are not honest, then of course the situation is totally different and people will leave.

These kind of things should be thought already in business risk analysis before start of development, so you can minimize all the risks which can come ahead during and after development. When you have take into account all possible risks, then you also know how to avoid them. So the company should take into account that business risk analysis when creating marketing strategy. Marketing is something that should not drop at any point just because of fear of screw up. Marketing grows beside development and tries to benefit from the key points and milestones what game reaches (like start of test phases). Those are good points to make a small boost and between test phases marketing is more like keeping followers and community happy with communication and updates shared via social media, forums, news section, discord, blogs and stuff like that.

Fractured Roadmap
    Published 11th of july 2018

@Tuoni

i can list plenty of Kickstarter games that haven't launched by their date originally stated! just because they say they can do it doesn't mean it'll realistically happen.

(...)Yes you did and I already proof it. You wanted to leave the rest out so it would look better with your argument. Now the rest of the piece negates your claim.

I'm not going to play the 'no you'-game, sorry. We can agree to disagree. In my humble opinion, non of the text negates my claim, since the introduction is a conditional statement that reflects on the rest.

(...)From Dynamight Studios point of view they are sure about their product(...)

That is by no means true. And you explained it yourself when you criticized Albion Online for straying from their 'original vision' last minute. Had you not known the game's former vision, you'd not have been critical of Albion Online, but just shrugged it off as 'that game's not for me'. With that said, I'm sure DS has carefully considered the arguments and already came to their own conclusion and decision on marketing, so I'm not going to participate in the thread anymore.

@Jetah said in Marketing as important part of early development:

@Tuoni

i can list plenty of Kickstarter games that haven't launched by their date originally stated! just because they say they can do it doesn't mean it'll realistically happen.

Why would you do that? No need to list for me, because like I said before:

"It is more like a rule rather than exception, that MMORPGs development will delay from what they have planned at first place."

@Logain said in Marketing as important part of early development:

(...)Yes you did and I already proof it. You wanted to leave the rest out so it would look better with your argument. Now the rest of the piece negates your claim.

I'm not going to play the 'no you'-game, sorry. We can agree to disagree. In my humble opinion, non of the text negates my claim, since the introduction is a conditional statement that reflects on the rest.

Key word there is "illustrates the fundamental mechanics and look of your game". That does not mean, that the mechanic or look needs to be final or fixed. Idea is just demonstrate those things and that is where the rest of the text also refers.

"Begin your marketing campaign the moment you have something that illustrates the fundamental mechanics and look of your game. Whether it's one finished level, a mocked up (quality) screenshot using Photoshop, or a small demo that displays a nuance of your game, it is imperative that you start generating hype as soon as there is something—anything—worth showing to the public. From that point forward you should be promoting the progress of your game on a semi-regular basis."

(...)From Dynamight Studios point of view they are sure about their product(...)

That is by no means true. And you explained it yourself when you criticized Albion Online for straying from their 'original vision' last minute. Had you not known the game's former vision, you'd not have been critical of Albion Online, but just shrugged it off as 'that game's not for me'. With that said, I'm sure DS has carefully considered the arguments and already came to their own conclusion and decision on marketing, so I'm not going to participate in the thread anymore.

It seams you like to take sentences out of the context.. sigh I copy the whole piece here first before answering:

"Fractured already shared their vision almost 2 years a go and started a kickstarter campaign almost a year a go. From Dynamight Studios point of view they are sure about their product. So what is the problem here?

Now you said: "If you are sure that was you're developing makes it into the final version of the game, sure go ahead and share it."

Now because DS has already shared their vision, does not that mean they are sure?

You are right, that SBI did core changes just before Albion release, but those were a design mistakes, not marketing. They tried to fix Outland's city issues with Caerleon concept without understanding all the results, and those results were then acknowledge after release. So there was nothing what they could do better with marketing, related for that happening.

You just can not skip marketing in case that you might screw up with something else just before release. That is why it is important to do business and development risk analysis properly, so you can be prepared or avoid possible risk situations. Making core changes to the game just before release and without enough time to test out things right, is a huuuge business and development risk. SBI took that risk and now they have paid of it.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured