[Tavern Roleplay] The Arcanist's Mill

• TF#3 - ENVOY

"I simply wanted to gather you and the others around the table," Malyvern smiles to Azhidal, "and now we're all here. How about we begin?"

The flame resting above the pint glass in the middle of the round table begins to glow brightly. Malyvern takes the first card from the circle he has arranged and holds it up for everyone to see.

"Queen of hearts," he announces, with a relieved sigh. "This shouldn't be too much of a problem but -"

Malyvern is interrupted by a loud crash. Crows fill the tavern and fly about the room in a swarm. Drinks are spilled and the tavern's patrons scream.

"Ah, wait. I did mention that drawing these cards has real consequences, surely?"

• TF#5 - LEGATE

Azhidal, impressed by the conjuration that his mage friend, looks calm, showing that the spell had no true effect in his head, since he is still too annoyed with the situation around him, but to avoid more chaos and desperation, he casted Thaumaturgy and, with a big noise, every window at the tavern opens, and all the crows leave throught them.

"No, Malyven, sadly you have not told us the consequence of every type of card you have and, most important, will any of them kill anyone or destroy the tavern?"

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

The ale Valek had was toppled over by some crows, but he took no attention to it, and got up. Peering around the tavern, he scouted for whoever pulled off that feat. "Definitely conjuration, mass summons?" He thought to himself.

His eyes were caught on to a few people playing a card game, with not just any deck. "Best not to disturb their game. I'll just watch from over here." He muttered to himself and sat back down on the damp seat, now eerily spectating the card game.

"He just drew the Queen of heats, and crows flew in. Does that mean that red cards are not favourable?" He thought to himself.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

"Ah, well..." Malyvern stumbles, "I don't believe I remember what each card's consequences would be." His face looks almost like worry, but also excitement. "As the game has begun and the flame above the candle has been lit, we will need to see it through until its completion or we risk bringing even worse to this tavern."

Malyvern conjures a bright spark, a globe of light to keep the crows at bay and avoid them picking away at the cards.
    "I believe it is your turn, Azhidal," he says, "though be careful, I cannot warn you of the cards and their intentions. Perhap Valek is on to something, though we should tread carefully."

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Valek then peered back at the glass that toppled over and put it back straight. Looking a bit flustered that a complete stranger just said his name out loud.

"Now that is something I can't even master, either mind reading or something else." He thought to himself.

"Are humans this generally curious? That they find names out of the blue?" Valek thought.

"No, I think he knows that I know, I can't put this bluff up, it's divination. If I recall correctly, he is a conjurer as well." He thought again.

He kept staring at the card game, but with some occasional glances at what was going to emerge from the door. He grabbed his staff, just in case.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

Emma glowered at the mages table and brushed the crow feathers off the bar, pouring a drink for a newcomer.

Noting the Erwydras interest, she sighed outnumbered tonight.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

Malyvern motions to the Erwydran mage to take a seat with the others around the table and winks knowingly.

"My apologies," Malyvern says to Emma, "the crows are the worst of it... I think."

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Valek takes a step from his stool, making sure to grab everything. He grabs a crow that was pecking around his bag as well. He mutters a few words into his staff and attached a bead to the staff, where it magically hovered in the middle. It was crimson in colour, but it seemed more than just that. He tapped the crow once with his staff and the crow falls to the ground, lifeless. He carefully placed the bead back into his bag.

He follows the crowd of people spectating the card game and takes a seat at the closest empty spot.

"Mind if I spectate?" Valek asked.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

"This game seem really interesting", says Esher to Malyvern. "Where did you find it ? I'm impatient to see wich are the effect of the other cards, it will be a lot of fun."

• TF#3 - ENVOY

[Feel free to pick a card and decide its outcome. Let your imagination run wild!]

Malyvern beckons for the Erwydra mage and shadow demon to join him in the game.
    "Sure. There's no spectating in this game though, I'm afraid. Pick a card and we will see what happens."

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Valek pulled a card from the top of the deck.

"It was definitely a mystical set." He thought to himself.

He flipped the card over revealing the ace of spades. Valek seemed on guard for what was about to happen, yet nothing did. Apparently something did happen. There was a bat flock already swarming in.

• TF#1 - WHISPERER

After hearing what the demon before her eyes, Chise took a step back and looked him up and down before speaking yet again. " But you don't attack humans, right?" While her question might have been absurd after what she got told. Chise didn't find the idea of getting her blood sucked out of her body as a very charming idea. But to avoid a more grim idea of what a demon was, she simply nodded when he asked if her question was answered.

Her attention quickly got turned to Azhidal that complimented her enchantment. When asked what type of magical training she attended. Chise stopped in her track and rubbed her forehead. It was simple yet the explanation might confuse some people, she still decided to give it a try as another man joined the table complicating her blade which put a smile on her face.

"My father taught me the enchantments I know, They are not the best but the few I know do the job very well if I say so myself." The smile was still on her lips as she held her head high, taking pride in her work as the men went back to focus on the game before them. However it didnt take long for Chise to get lost in thought and disconnected to the group as she leaned her warm cheek against her palm as she looked into the fireplace. The wood broke down to the heat as the fire spread, cracking sounds filling the room as they soon became the few guests left in the tavern.

However her peace didn't last long as a huge crash dragged her back to reality and dark clouds quickly turn into crows as Malyvern had pulled a card. Chise swore like a sailor as she pulled her short sword and held it close, ready to swipe down any crow that came to pick her eyes out.
    "I am very sure that we know that now, Malyvern" she said with a bitter tone. Chise wasn't one for surprises. Especially not in a world where the wrong surprise could kill you.

Crows being the worst?! she thought and sighed. Chise didn't believe that for a second as she leaned forward to pick up a card, but another man was quicker than herself and had already picked up a card from the table. For the few seconds that remained quiet, the false hope of nothing happening was quite the relief until those hopes got crushed as a swarm on bats flocked around the guests of the tavern.

"Do it always have to be flying creatures?!" a great annoyance growing in her voice, Chise held her head low as she swiped her short sword in the air, on the first glance it might have seemed that she missed the bats above the men but shortly thereafter they fell to the floor one by one. Her short sword was yet another enchanted weapon, however fire was not the element for this one.

Lightning had been the element to strike down the bats, paralyzing them for the time being while still leaving the creatures alive. In one smooth motion, Chise attached her short sword at her belt yet again and leaned back in her chair as she in one big swoop drank the rest of her dark beer.

"I'm going to need a lot of drinks if there's anymore of those flying bastards" she muttered as she glared at Malyvern, irritated that he missed the most important part of information.

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

"You and me both, gorgeous." Emma said wryly, passing the woman a drink, "Just yell out if you need more, my name's Emma."

Weaving between the tables, Emma picked up a few empty cups absentmindedly and considered checking if Stanos had received her message. He would normally have sent someone by now, and as if on cue the next cup she picked up seemed stuck to the table. Expecting this, she gave the cup a practiced twist, looking as though nothing was out of the ordinary and moved back to the bar. Turning the cup over she saw Stanos' sigil etched into it's base, message received, shame about those beast-kin, they seemed nice. But work is work.

• TF#5 - LEGATE

(Sorry for taking so long, had a rough day)

Azhidal was curious, still wondering the intentions of Malyvern, but not really caring that much with it, since he had seen many other mages that used from this tricks and spells to win some coin.

Decided to play along, he said to the conjurer "It doesn't matter what we pick, you get to say who wins and the consequence of the ones that don't, but still, let's play along".

He proceeds to pick a card, he then see his card and it is the King of Clubs, he then shows to Malyvern. At first instant, Azhidal feels nothing, then he realizes his chair is moving up, and that he is moving up. Noticing is a Levation spell, he easily came to place and still flying said "That is all?", challenging the mage.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

"My turn to pick one... let's see this one."

Esher picked a card, it was the Jack of Heart. He put the card on the table, and began to look around him.

"Hum, it's pretty...disturbing."

He stood up from his chair, he pitched a little and sat again quickly.

"It's like everything is moving around, everything seem...distorted. A pretty interesting effect, but I don't think I'll stand up for a while."

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

"Are you sure you just haven't had way too many drinks?" Valek joked around.

Valek silently watched as Azhidal slowly floated back to the floor and looked around at who will draw next.

"The one who beckoned me over is next, yes?" Valek asked awaiting an answer.

• TF#3 - ENVOY

(I am currently away for the weekend, please continue and I will reply when soon.)

• TF#10 - CONSUL

(so quiet here x) )

"Tchh, everybody think I'm drunk, here. I've never been drunk and I'll never be !" says Esher to Valek.

Esher gripped the sit of the chair, like he was on a boat that was about to overturned.

"And this shit does not stop, it's like everything's melting !"

• TF#7 - AMBASSADOR

((OOC - I know right 😛 I'm moving house and this makes me stress which doesn't help the creative process at all!))

Emma is behind the bar cleaning some used tankards silently. She's still working, and keeping on eye on the mages so they don't wreck the place.

• TF#4 - EMISSARY

Valek grabbed my staff off the floor, for it had been knocked over by bats. It seemed a bit scratched from the summoned creatures, but it seemed generally fine. He looked around in his rucksack, and pulled out a golden sphere. He placed it in his hand.

"It is unwise to show what one can do, but it might do well here." Valek said to Esher.

His hands radiated with a gold-ish hue, as he tapped Esher on the head. A faint glow rested on Esher's head before it finally subsided.

"Better now?" Valek asked.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured