Use item trashing in PvP instead of decay to power economy

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

At least for me, decay without repair is dull. Why spend so much time grinding either gold to buy something good, or the rare mats to craft something good, if gear is just a consumable?

Instead, I'd love to see Albion's PvP item trashing sink. It works because the victims in PvP don't care that some of their gear trashed on death (and are probably happy about it), and the killers are happy to find at least some intact gear.

That mechanic powers the Albion economy, even with easy item repair.

How would you manage durability on Arboreus where there is no pvp?

Also, people here would mind if the item was trashed on death, since you don't lose equip if you are not red.

• I think another problem is selling used items in the marketplace. I can imagine scenarios where (especially new players) complainig that they buy items with very low durability from the market since we can put those items there. We never see how durability plays within trading aspect due to limited time and player numbers. But I believe this should be addressed

@spoletta

I'd allow repairs of all gear for gold in town, like Albion. (For PvE, that's just another limiter to how long you can stay in the wilderness before needing to come back.)

Arboreus would thus be a gear fountain spilling into the gear sink of the PvP worlds, which would lead to trade missions and standard routes from Arboreus that could be intercepted.

Albion didn't trash gear on PvE death, only on PvP death, so that's what I was suggesting.

@Clinion If it hasn't changed somewhere along the line, then we can't put items on the market which don't have full durability.

@Roccandil This would compromise the economy of Arboreus if the equips didn't get trashed.

In order for the economy to work, items have to be constantly cycled in and out of the game.

Many players are already asking for INCREASED durability damage, especially on non-melee equipments.

@spoletta If Arboreus were standalone, sure, there'd be no item sink, but with PvP item sinks on the other worlds, gear would constantly flow from Arboreus to those worlds. (Albion Online also had plenty of safe PvE content you could use top-tier gear on, and its economy was still the best I've ever seen.)

While I'm sure crafters would love items to wear out faster, so they could sell more stuff, the decay isn't fun for me. It's too much work for too little payoff, and it's pushing me to ignore the item system and crafters entirely.

In my gaming experience, decay is a bad item sink.

Repairing will just add dumb mass crafting to get quality specs.

How in your opinion repairing with gold will help economy? Economy means that some people are selling some materials to other that can use them for craft and sell other items.

Repairing will lead to creation dom amount of items that will stay forever on server.

Imo if repairing, then only with additional mats (same as originally needed to craft this item)

What you propose though wouldn't work as item sink.

Remember that only red drop equipment, so you could apply this concept only to them, and they are a very minimal part of the game population.

Every other pvp fight cannot have equip trashing or people would get VERY frustrated if on top of getting killed by reds their equip also went Puff.

So it would be a very minimal amount of item sink, quickly leading to a saturation of the market and the dead of crafting.

@spoletta

Ah, in Albion, everyone drops gear in PvP. Wasn't Tartaros supposed to be full-loot PvP, though?

So, maybe I'm suggesting more PvP should be full-loot. 🙂

@Jacenson

At least for me, an economy based on decay is boredom incarnate. If there's no other way to power the economy, I consider it already broken.

The best part of this game is how the knowledge system rewards you for doing lots of different things. In contrast, the crafting system is a disappointment, since it rewards mind-numbing repetition.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured