Regarding 'Strike Wounds'

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

Hello,

There is an ability under 'Assassination' known as Strike Wounds that raises quite a few concerns for me that I want to explain and share here. This may also probably get me animosity in return due to some of those concerns, but I hope users of this ability will understand why I want to bring some attention to it.

About the ability, users of it will be able to deal extra damage—'extra' meaning that the damage will be its own separate number—to their target based on 6% of their missing health up a maximum number based on their combined Dexterity and Perception multiplied by four.

Strike Wounds

This ability is a toggle (stance) and costs nothing to use but a memory and bar slot, and it can be used with any weapon that isn't heavy and in light armor as well as medium armor; however, that is the problem. This ability can be used with almost any weapon, and it costs nothing to use which I suppose is fine on its own but not with the aforementioned fact. Due to the lack of restrictions for this ability in addition to the basis of the ability being simple in the regard of dealing scaling (percentage of the target's missing health) pure damage based on two attributes, it is a staple for all melee builds that do not use heavy armor.

What this ability does is powerful, and I originally thought it wasn't and neglected it until I tried it with my shortbow after it was brought to my attention. It immediately raised my DPS which in turn raised my kill potential. This allowed me to quickly kill creatures that normally took a bit of time for me to handle at my current progression level.

These are my proposals for reworking or tweaking this ability:

• Rework it into something else that isn't as rudimentary as an extra source of damage that scales and is pure.
    • Add restrictions to it such as allowing only melee or finesse weapons (both Dexterity-based and Dexterity/Strength-based weapons such as the daggers, scimitars, rapiers, and spears) to use it.
    • Change it from a stance to a weapon modifier and make it drain a resource (i.e., mana) per attack.
    • Give it a drawback or penalty that incurs to the user only when toggled if not reworked or if it does not have its toggle group changed.
    • Tweak the values or change the formula if the basis of the ability is what the Devs—the intended readers—envisioned and want to remain as is.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

I have never seen it work for bows.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@OlivePit said in Regarding 'Strike Wounds':

I have never seen it work for bows.

I have been using it with a shortbow for about a day and am currently using them together right now.

In the description, it says 'Weapon Weight: Light|Medium' and shortbows are classified as light weapons while longbows are classified as medium weapons.

There are a great many weapons under the light and medium classifications while only a few weapons, such as the warhammer, under the heavy classification.

Strike Wounds Demonstration

E: As shown above, Strike Wounds is able to work with shortbows but only because of the weapon modifiers under the school of enchanting for shortbows since they provide an extra source of damage that is technically not the piercing physical damage of the bow which makes proccing Strike Wounds possible.

There's a bug with bows and strike wounds.

It works only if you have an elemental arrow skill active. That's also why no one uses longbows, because it can't use elemental arrows which in turn means no strike wounds.

I also wanted to make a thread on Strike Wounds, but I had flooded the board with too many threads of mine already, so I'm glad someone else did.

My proposed solution for Strike Wound is easy. Leave it as is, as a toggle without resource consumption, but activating it reduces attack speed by 20%.

This way you made it into a skill which you have to correctly manage, activating it when your opponent is sufficiently low on HP that the bonus overcomes the drawback.

• TF#8 - GENERAL AMBASSADOR

huh, wonder why I dont see it when i use it then : /
    thanks for the pic

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@spoletta said in Regarding 'Strike Wounds':

There's a bug with bows and strike wounds.

It works only if you have an elemental arrow skill active. That's also why no one uses longbows, because it can't use elemental arrows which in turn means no strike wounds.

This was what I was actually editing my comment to mention, but I had no idea that it was a bug. Now I see one of the reasons why shortbows are so highly desired for casters.

It's a nifty ability, but it is currently too simple for such a powerful effect and too accessible. If they do want to keep it as is—the scaling pure damage in the form of a stance—then a drawback or the tweaking of the formula would be for the best. Stances typically come with a drawback or a trade of sorts in exchange for the benefit they provide, so they should consider doing the same here with any ability that is grouped as a stance.

• @Fi said in Regarding 'Strike Wounds':

l

I agree that the spell is slightly too strong (does it even cost 3000kp and 3 memory?)

I think it should be only PER*4 so people in order to use it need to consider spending their attribute points more wisely. (as AUTO ATTACKING builds would normally have 18 or there abouts dex anyway)

Memory point 1.

• Yes, it's an op skill now, particularly with fast weapons.
    But it should have a 5 sec cooldown, as the description says.
    With that it's worse than bleeding strike.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@Contucky said in Regarding 'Strike Wounds':

I agree that the spell is slightly too strong (does it even cost 3000kp and 3 memory?

It requires two slots of memory, so 2,000 KP to unlock.

@Sawahya said in Regarding 'Strike Wounds':

Yes, it's an op skill now, particularly with fast weapons.
    But it should have a 5 sec cooldown, as the description says.
    With that it's worse than bleeding strike.

That's the cooldown that starts whenever you toggle it or get silenced, but what you said is actually a good idea for a possible adjustment.

If it's supposed to be like Double Shot (proc, cooldown, proc) or made to be like the aforementioned ability, that would be one adequate way to balance it, but I suppose that wouldn't fix how accessible the ability is given what it does that makes it a staple for any build that deals physical damage and is compatible with Strike Wounds.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured