Clarification on the target audience

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

I think it's probably best solved by balancing the penalties for being there.

A demon in Arboreus will receive significant penalties while there - even more than when visiting Syndesia when there's no eclipse. We'll be significantly weaker.

If there's too much ganking going on, the devs can balance that with harsher penalties. Harsher penalties on all individuals, or maybe increase the penalties on each individual demon based on the number of demons nearby to to make zerging inefficient.

I plan to play a demon character, and my expectation is that I'll hang out on Tartaros to build up my resources and join up with a guild, then once I can afford to lose a set of gear we can go raiding in Syndesia on a regular basis. Then once I start getting good at that and I want the next level of challenge, I'll be up for a suicidal raid on Arboreus.

But I fully expect to die in Arboreus >90% of the time I go there. The penalties should be steep because I grok the need for a mostly safe PvE setting... And also, that's what makes it a challenge in the first place. 😄

If the devs do change it around so that demons can't do PvP on Arboreus at all to make it fully safe, then I do feel like that would take something valuable away in terms of the lore and the setting. I think the distinction between mostly splitting the playerbase and fully splitting the playerbase is a meaningful one with negatives on both sides that go beyond the interests of just carebears and PvPers.

I used to play as a carebear miner in EVE Online, but even there the potential to get ganked in highsec meant that I had to stay alert and actually pay attention, and that made things more interesting. I think that mostly-carebear-with-some-spice is a good thing, and that if you give carebears the ability to opt out of the spice altogether then enough will do that such that opting for the spice becomes a disadvantage and no-one will pick it.

But even if the devs went with a full split, I'd live with it. There'll still be lots of hairless monkeys to hunt in Syndesia. I'd still disagree, but its no biggie. 🙂

• TF#10 - CONSUL

@kairosval said in Clarification on the target audience:

I used to play as a carebear miner in EVE Online, but even there the potential to get ganked in highsec meant that I had to stay alert and actually pay attention, and that made things more interesting. I think that mostly-carebear-with-some-spice is a good thing, and that if you give carebears the ability to opt out of the spice altogether then enough will do that such that opting for the spice becomes a disadvantage and no-one will pick it.

You have just summoned the worst game ever with the worst cancer community/player base ;). I'm wondering why none of the PvP players I met so far in this forum have never said once: I go to kill players around Tartaros XD.

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@finland said in Clarification on the target audience:

You have just summoned the worst game ever with the worst cancer community/player base ;). I'm wondering why none of the PvP players I met in this forum so far has never mentioned once to go kill players around Tartaros XD

I know EVE gets a bad rap, but I didn't and still don't see it. It's really not that hard to avoid the gankers in EVE if you just stay alert and keep an eye on local comms. And the gankers are actually pretty useful for taking out bots and discouraging inattentive and over-cautious miners from risky systems, freeing up those systems for players like me. 🙂

I think I got ganked once when I was just starting out because I undocked from a trade hub in a mining barge without checking local or mail to discover my guild had been wardec'd. This made it entirely my own fault. But I just scraped off the salt and learned how to not make that kind of mistake again. So I didn't. And I never lost another ship to player activity again.

So the ganking thing was never really a problem for me, you just had to pay attention to what you were doing. I've never really understood what people were complaining about. I always just figured it was themepark-MMO players complaining about EVE failing to be a themepark-MMO... But that's like criticizing a dog for failing to be a cat. It's technically accurate, but somewhat misses the point of having a dog in the first place.

I don't think that Fractured is setting out to be another themepark-MMO either, particularly given the forced-player-interaction-economy thing. That's a good move in my view because the themepark-MMO market is extremely saturated, and I think what the Fractured devs have in mind here is meaningfully distinctive in the MMO marketplace. Really looking forward to it. 🙂

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I don't think that Fractured is setting out to be another themepark-MMO either, particularly given the forced-player-interaction-economy thing. That's a good move in my view because the themepark-MMO market is extremely saturated, and I think what the Fractured devs have in mind here is meaningfully distinctive in the MMO marketplace. Really looking forward to it.

Yeah that's what everyone hope! About the "you just had to pay attention", well mostly of the time I get back to home so tired that I prefer easy peasy things 😂

• TF#11 - PROCONSUL

@finland said in Clarification on the target audience:

Yeah that's what everyone hope! About the "you just had to pay attention", well mostly of the time I get back to home so tired that I prefer easy peasy things 😂

That's fair: EVE isn't the game for you. And that's okay. 🙂

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

@prometheus said in Clarification on the target audience:

Of course, I realize this answer is not explaining much, so it might be a good thing to anticipate the Spotlight on the justice system and PvP rules (which is already planned), since I can't explain it all in just one forum post.

Great, thank you! I'm looking forward to that (and hope that when you find the time to work on this, you're going to include which areas you consider designing as PvE only and how large they are supposed to be). It might be a good idea (IMHO) to include that information explicitly in your Kickstarter as well.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured