New NPC Faction: Demon Hunters

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Suggestion for new NPC faction:

DEMON HUNTERS

Introduction
    I can see how demonical and diabolic creatures roams the lands of Tartaros, but on top of that there should be something different and lore wise. I was inspired to make this suggestion when I saw @Jetah's thread; Ideas for Tartaros mobs. Thank you Jetah for that.

Demon Hunters is a NPC faction, which mainly consist of humans, and they operate in planet Tartaros. I do not want to exclude possibility of beastmen to be members, but their numbers will be in minority if there are any.

Background & Lore
    Some people will not put much value on lore, but to me (and hope for most of us) it is a really important part of the game. Lore is the piece what keeps everything together. Sometimes you can not see it, but it is still there somewhere at the background, and making the world interesting and especially believable. Even we are living in fantasy world, things still needs to have rules, meaning and make sense. Otherwise it would not be fantasy anymore and then it might go more on non-sense genre.

It is relatively easy to create lore and background stories around concepts of Demon Hunters. Demons as playable race makes it actually possible and also interesting. We have used to hunt down demons in other games, but now the situation has turned around.

Members of this faction comes from different backgrounds, but there is one important and common reason which unites them all. Hate against demons. Usually demons have caused death and sorrow for members of Demon Hunters when slaughtering their friends, family and community members. However, hate against demons is not enough get access to this faction. Demon Hunters have to be also fearless and skillful warriors who does not try to avoid any clash with demons. Demon Hunters have tear away from influence of Syndesia and they do not acknowledge any kings or rulers. They have separated from everyone and they are on their own.

Motives & Goals
    Demon Hunters main motive is revenge. They have dedicated their lives for hunt down demons using any actions necessary. Sometimes this means sacrifices for larger good. Every killed demon gives Hunters a lot of satisfaction and many of them are addicted to that feeling. Main goal is to perish all Demons from the world or at least make them lives as hard as possible when trying to accomplish this primary mission.

Alignment
    Evil and/or neutral. I can not put Demon Hunters only under one alignment. Demon Hunters acts hostile (as evil) against all Demons, Angels and Abominations. Those does not deserve any mercy in their eyes.

Demon Hunters does not have allies. They do not cooperate with other factions even they would have the same enemy. They act like neutrals against every other than demons regardless of their race and background. So they are not automatically hostile against everyone, but they are not willing to help others either. We have to remember, that Demon Hunters do not like anyone who intrudes their zones (outsiders could jeopardize their existence) and there they might be hostile against everyone regardless of the race.

Way of acting
    Demon Hunters live mainly in Tartaros, but they have some recruitment and supplement camps in other planets too. In Tartaros, they live under the surface, hiding in caves and tunnels, in secret camps and outposts. They are hiding so deep, that even Babilis has hard time to find and see them.

Players needs to be careful with Demon Hunters, which usually organizes dangerous ambushes and can surprise careless players. However, demons are demons after all and they will do everything needed to banish Demon Hunters from their lands. Demon Hunters use infiltration and guerrilla tactics, because they do not have enough numbers to start open war. If they would have enough members, they would cause a planet wide mayhem.

Meaning & Point
    As a NPC Faction Demon Hunters are one of the antagonists for players and guilds who live in Tartaros. So some PvE activities there are related to Demon Hunters faction. You may not find Demon Hunters roaming everywhere like some creatures, but you can find them lurking in shadows, dungeons and hinterlands. So it is easy to implement camps, dungeons and raids around Demon Hunter theme. Demon Hunters are not the easiest enemies imo and I would rank them about average or a little above what it comes to danger level, but I would still leave room for more powerful PvE mobs and creatures. I can imagine that there are monsters much more dangerous than puny humans.

Ranks
    Demon Hunters are lead by a council (total of five members). Council consist of masters from each class. There is only one master / class in council and all masters are equal among each other. Classes are Demon Slayer, Demon Piercer, Demon Cleanser, Demon Scorcher and Demon Stabber. Inside classes there is of course some ranks as well. So there can be for example Demon Slayer Lieutenant or captain to make other mobs stronger than others.

Demon Slayer

• Slayers are melee damage dealers who can use different variety of weapons, normally using swords, axes and spears. They wear leather, studded leather or chain armors.

• Slayers drives easily to bloodlust in middle of the fight. This makes them stronger and do more damage, but at the same time this sacrifices something from defence (like parry).

Demon Piercer

• Piercers are ranged damage dealers who uses mainly hand-crossbows or bows. In some special situations they can use heavier crossbows or even ballistas. They wear leather armors.

• Piercers do not focus only to do damage. They aim for weak spots to slow down their enemies and can even shoot harpoons with ropes to pull fleeing enemies closer. They also have some camouflage skills which makes targeting them harder.

Demon Cleanser

• Cleansers are mainly healers, but they can do some holy damage with spells as well. They wear cloth and/or leather armors.

• Cleansers uses some debuffs as well, which especially weakens demon-kin creatures and characters.

Demon Scorcher

• Scorchers are magic damage dealers and their main school of magic could be something, which is effective against demons. They wear cloth and/or leather armors.

• Scorchers specialities are AoE spells.

Demon Stabber

• Stabbers are melee damage dealers and distractors. They use mainly daggers, traps, poisons, nets and wear leather armors.

• Stabbers are not as strong as Slayers, but they are more unpredictable. They can control the crowd with interrupting surprise attacks and hide back in shadows if needed.

Every Demon Hunter has passive ability Hate Demons. It gives them slight damage boost when fighting against demons, angels and abominations.

Demon Hunters are not usually carrying anything too heavy, because they need to move and hide fast when necessary. That is why tanks are extremely rare in their ranks and maybe does not exist at all. Sometimes we can see huge ballistas in use if Demon Hunters are after a large demonic monster.

At the end, the most important thing related for classes of this faction is, that the core is in hunting and demons. So abilities and AI should be thought from that point of view. I do not want to see just mindless nuke.

Name & Logo
    Even Demon Hunters could be generally called Demon Hunters, this faction could still have official name as well. It should be somehow lore wise and suitable for theme. I was wondering something related for anti-eclipse (because eclipse is time of demons). So something related to sun, illumination, light and things like that. Maybe there is a sun in faction logo as well.. Any ideas?

Options
    Even this faction is meant for PvE, I do not see it impossible to expand this idea and make it possible for players to join different factions too. That is ofc a whole own topic, but could be interesting feature.

Finally
    I guess this is enough to give first impression what I have in my mind and I will add more information later if needed. I am also interested of opinions and ideas from other community members. Do you think there is room for faction like this?

Reserved

Reserved

Here is some pictures how I imagine Demon Hunters could look like. Not exactly like these, but more like give some direction and idea. In order:

• Piercer
    • Stabber
    • Beastman Piercer
    • Slayer
    • Scorcher
    • Cleanser

Piercer
    Stabber
    Beastman Piercer
    Slayer
    Scorcher
    Cleanser

@Tuoni said in New NPC Faction: Demon Hunters:

Thank you Jetah for that.

just drop some shop items my way!

• This post is deleted!

• TF#10 - CONSUL

Lore is life ! Meh, why not, I would be happy to slay some humans 😛 Maybe we could reverse this, with some demons trying to find a way to go more easier on Arboreus, trying to build portals, or everything they can do to stay longer on the planet, and finally try to attack it.

Reasonable addition to the mobs of Tartaros. While it might be complicated, I think NPC factions or driven events could be fun.

It definitely needs to be more fleshed out, but it's certainly an interesting idea. I hope something similar is added.

@Esher said in New NPC Faction: Demon Hunters:

Lore is life ! Meh, why not, I would be happy to slay some humans 😛 Maybe we could reverse this, with some demons trying to find a way to go more easier on Arboreus, trying to build portals, or everything they can do to stay longer on the planet, and finally try to attack it.

Actually why not. It is important to create meaningful PvE content. People in Arboreus needs enemies and fighting against demons (NPC) would make sense. It is relatively easy to build some dungeons/raids around that theme.

@FallenW1ng said in New NPC Faction: Demon Hunters:

Reasonable addition to the mobs of Tartaros. While it might be complicated, I think NPC factions or driven events could be fun.

NPC factions are quite standard in MMORPGs, but of course the size of the factions varys a lot from each other. Some might have a huge centric role where others have minor part. So it depends totally of the situation how depth faction concept is neaded. NPC factions are always much more interesting enemies than random drop mobs without any reasonable background.

I do not see NPC factions that complicated, maybe those needs more planning and work to implement, but most likely those will give more value for the game world.

Btw, what you meant by "driven events"? 🤔

I'm not sure. I'm not super sure about how much resources all this would require. But I had remembered some events from Pirates of the Caribbean Online, where NPC baddies would do invasions of cities. So it was "driven" by the NPCs, the players had to respond.

wouldn't it make more sense for the demon hunters to be on Arboreus hunting demons that enter the human world? and a similar human hunters in Tartaros? when I think hunting I usually see the powerful hunting the weak and I would think the demons would have an upper hand in Tataros compared to some humans...

@Althalus said in New NPC Faction: Demon Hunters:

wouldn't it make more sense for the demon hunters to be on Arboreus hunting demons that enter the human world? and a similar human hunters in Tartaros? when I think hunting I usually see the powerful hunting the weak and I would think the demons would have an upper hand in Tataros compared to some humans...

Maybe if their motive would be protect citizens, but in my concept they are driven by hate and revenge. So they want to be there where they have more preys.

I would not categorize generally hunters to group who only chase weaker than they are. In fantasy genre there is a lot of different kind slayers and hunters which are after more powerful creatures than themselfs, so I would not focus too much on word hunter itself.

Moreover, the whole idea was create meaningful PvE content primarily for demon players and that core idea will be lost if Demon Hunters are moved away from Tartaros. 😉

@FallenW1ng said in New NPC Faction: Demon Hunters:

I'm not sure. I'm not super sure about how much resources all this would require. But I had remembered some events from Pirates of the Caribbean Online, where NPC baddies would do invasions of cities. So it was "driven" by the NPCs, the players had to respond.

Actually it would be really cool if cities and towns would need to defend from NPC attacks. This could be especially a thing in Arboreus where conquers are not happening from players behalf.

Don’t the power of the gods prevent opposite karma races from staying on a planet.

Wouldn’t these be against the current lore?

• This post is deleted!

@Meiki That is exactly how I testified this to myself. You can be evil and be in favor of Babilis or get help from Tyros to live in Tartaros. Here is copy from Feature Spotlight #6

Unlike Beastmen, Humans are generally tolerated by Babilis, who sees a potential for corruption in them. They aren’t directly penalized like Beastmen, but slowly lose Karma over time, unless they enjoy the protection of another God. Tyros, for instance, grants total immunity from the influence of Babilis – but of course, that comes at a price too. While the dark God is not able to reach their souls, it is more than willing to let its children do the dirty job! That is why, one hour after stepping on the planet, the presence of any protegee of Tyros is made known to all Demons in the area!

Actually Babilis could give demon players quests and task to find Demon Hunters and try to end their acts. She would most certainly want heads of masters for example.

• This post is deleted!

@Meiki well yeah, I especially liked that scouting quest idea. That would suite perfectly for the theme, because Demon Hunters are hiding and demons really wants to find their hideouts and bases. I would like to see hidden dungeon entrances what can be find via exploring. Maybe a quest can tell the region, but not the exact position. These hidden entrances could also change and not be at same place everytime. This would also promote exploring and that way create more open world PvP encounters.

On top of that it would be easy to link especially perception related abilities and their progression tasks to Demon Hunters.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured