Creating Guide Utilizing Wiki

• TF#12 - PEOPLE'S HERALD

Hey guys, I've been going through the Fractured Wiki and have since started to take notes on some of the more complex or abstract concepts in game so far and I was wondering if you'd like me to post it somewhere on the forums. If you guys want I will try to formalize it into a guide and talk with a mod to see if I can get it pinned somewhere. Cheers and I'll see you in game.

• Wiki Editor

@ImminentBeep said in Creating Guide Utilizing Wiki:

Hey guys, I've been going through the Fractured Wiki and have since started to take notes on some of the more complex or abstract concepts in game so far and I was wondering if you'd like me to post it somewhere on the forums. If you guys want I will try to formalize it into a guide and talk with a mod to see if I can get it pinned somewhere. Cheers and I'll see you in game.

You can always make the guide on the wiki 🙂

@kellewic that is true but I feel like newer players would be daunted by the amount of information they would find there

• TF#10 - CONSUL

You're joking, you must be.

The wiki as it currently stands is barren and completely bare-bones right now.

@Belligero I understand but more pages are being added every day and I’m not sure if a year down the line a newer player will want to search through 700 wiki pages

@ImminentBeep said in Creating Guide Utilizing Wiki:

@Belligero I understand but more pages are being added every day and I’m not sure if a year down the line a newer player will want to search through 700 wiki pages

If its labelled well and the guide is concise and well constructed a new player will likely be happy for the infomation. The internet when you Google pulls up like 21000 pages but u dont feel overwhelmed because it's well layed out

@ImminentBeep

World of Warcraft wiki has 106,148 pages.

if the individual pages are good then a summary page could be created to link to the important parts.

• TF#10 - CONSUL

I'm not sure how you tend to use wiki sites, but there's a search bar for a reason.

People use wikis to help guide them through specific quests or read up on some mechanics they don't quite understand.

No one randomly flips through random wiki articles and hope they come upon a page they'll find useful.

@ImminentBeep
    Once the game has completed Alpha testing and moved to the Beta phase where many more are playing, it would be VERY helpful to have a well-written 'Newbie Guide' to get people started with more detailed info than the in-game tutorial might offer. But while the game is still in Alpha, there may be more changes to specifics than you'd want to build a guide on, y'know? So I'd wait on that for now, if it were my time being spent writing the thing.

I've used Newbie Guides to clarify my goals & enable better planning & builds in several games I've played, and usually use the wiki for finding detailed info about specific game assets or features as needed.

I'd probably also make use of a more detailed Build Guide & Crafting Guide, as well, if those become available. All guides should be vetted by mods/devs before pinning to the top of an appropriate Forum section make sure they're trustworthy and clearly articulated.

Copyright © 2023 Dynamight Studios Srl | Fractured